04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

I have 3 Discover passes... surely you will only take the one? :) Oh, and I pulled a Toyota off of some rocks last weekend, doesn't that help? He had 42's even!

Btw, Wife says camping Friday evening to Sunday morning and wheeling all day Saturday at Tahuya the weekend of October the 22nd sounds like fun :D I can surrender my Discover pass after that I guess... sigh.
Yes, that would only be a single Discovery Pass infraction as long as you are truly repentant for your negligence, which obviously you are.

Now as far as the Toyota rescue goes, if you conquered the obstacle that he was stuck on then he was obligated to supply you with a 6-pack of beer for each tire interval he is above yours. Assuming stnadard wheeler step sizes of 35-37-40-42. So you are owed 18 pack at least.

I will start canvassing the crew and see if i can make 10/22 work. That is the modern deer season so in the past i would never skip killing to wheel but... i am really enjoying wheeling these days. :)

Reactions: Wildman and DaveF
I have 3 Discover passes... surely you will only take the one? :) Oh, and I pulled a Toyota off of some rocks last weekend, doesn't that help? He had 42's even!

Btw, Wife says camping Friday evening to Sunday morning and wheeling all day Saturday at Tahuya the weekend of October the 22nd sounds like fun :D I can surrender my Discover pass after that I guess... sigh.
Wait Dude - you rescued a ‘yota??? Rules say WE LEAVE ‘EM TO ROT!!!

• Haha
Reactions: DaveF and Wildman
Had an awesome day at reiter on Saturday. Things were definitely harder due to the mud/water which was still hanging around despite the weather drying up nicely for the day.

Western Washington muck tire testing continued. The MT bajaboss is proving to perform well climbing rocks straight out of mud puddles. A buddy wheeling with us was using the Interco TRXUS M/T radial. This tire did quite well, I would say traction wise maybe out performed the MTBB.

Today's wheeling skill development I was working on was wheeling without spotter. Up to this point I have been very reliant on a spotter and I feel like I'm just a remote control at that point. I tried just about everything without a spotter and I did pretty bad hah. I got double diffed 3 times. I really had fun on tank traps again. I could just do that loop like 5x to learn it better. My throttle control is getting better and better less lurching each time I go out.

It was a great day and left me wanting more.

PXL_20211030_190030036_exported_34886.jpg

PXL_20211030_172647387.jpg

As my good wizard friend would say, "that is not the line." There's a rock wall tie rod smasher right in front of me not pictured. Luckily my buddy was able to winch me back.
IMG_20211102_082924.jpg

I tried the big rock again. With the wetness I just couldn't pull myself up. If I could've got my rear end 6" right I think it might of worked. Tried at this for 20 minutes, front digs, rear digs, front burn, rear burn, locker off/on, cutting brakes got so dam close but eventually bailed. I would hook the ridge with my driver side front tire and crawl as slow as possible but it would push into that rock wall every time. It lives to be conquered another day.
IMG_20211102_082918.jpg

Had an awesome day at reiter on Saturday. Things were definitely harder due to the mud/water which was still hanging around despite the weather drying up nicely for the day.

Western Washington muck tire testing continued. The MT bajaboss is proving to perform well climbing rocks straight out of mud puddles. A buddy wheeling with us was using the Interco TRXUS M/T radial. This tire did quite well, I would say traction wise maybe out performed the MTBB.

Today's wheeling skill development I was working on was wheeling without spotter. Up to this point I have been very reliant on a spotter and I feel like I'm just a remote control at that point. I tried just about everything without a spotter and I did pretty bad hah. I got double diffed 3 times. I really had fun on tank traps again. I could just do that loop like 5x to learn it better. My throttle control is getting better and better less lurching each time I go out.

It was a great day and left me wanting more.

View attachment 287837

View attachment 287838
I like trying stuff without a spotter telling me everything to do as well. I usually just have my dad watch to make sure I’m not getting into trouble. I like getting out and trying to memorize the rocks and imagine the line. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t but IMO you get way more driving experience when you actually have to think for yourself. Plus it’s more fun than being a robot.

Reactions: Tob and Nickgsjeep
I like trying stuff without a spotter telling me everything to do as well. I usually just have my dad watch to make sure I’m not getting into trouble. I like getting out and trying to memorize the rocks and imagine the line. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t but IMO you get way more driving experience when you actually have to think for yourself. Plus it’s more fun than being a robot.
100% i agree. So that picture where i'm double diffed above the guy watching me gave me zero hints that my tire was going to the right of that big rock. He coulda give me a simple like point left nod and i would've corrected. I didnt realize until i dropped onto my diff that i was 2' too far right. I totally misjudged that one. The good thing is I don't think i'll make that mistake again! The other cool thing about doing it without spotter is that you start to memorize the line. Do you wheel the same spot a lot? I'm looking forward to the day I know this place like the back of my hand.

Reactions: starkey480
100% i agree. So that picture where i'm double diffed above the guy watching me gave me zero hints that my tire was going to the right of that big rock. He coulda give me a simple like point left nod and i would've corrected. I didnt realize until i dropped onto my diff that i was 2' too far right. I totally misjudged that one. The good thing is I don't think i'll make that mistake again! The other cool thing about doing it without spotter is that you start to memorize the line. Do you wheel the same spot a lot? I'm looking forward to the day I know this place like the back of my hand.
We try to mix up the trails but when a certain trail gives me trouble or I think I could do better I get obsessed with it and go until I figure it out. And then that all goes to shit the next season because the trails change so much after the rain or the hardcore buggy guys go and dig the climbs even deeper. I learned that lesson the hard way last trail when the old line from last year led to me almost tipping because some guys dug a ditch in front of the climb. Wheeling is a never ending challenge!

Reactions: tombicon
Something else to try that you can do in your driveway if you have enough room is to cut some 4x4's up and place them on the ground and then practice trying to drive over them. You can move them around and put them in different spots to practice being able to put a wheel someplace you can't see.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Something else to try that you can do in your driveway if you have enough room is to cut some 4x4's up and place them on the ground and then practice trying to drive over them. You can move them around and put them in different spots to practice being able to put a wheel someplace you can't see.
Im really kind of tempted to do a front cam

As my good wizard friend would say, "that is not the line." There's a rock wall tie rod smasher right in front of me not pictured. Luckily my buddy was able to winch me back.
View attachment 287839

I tried the big rock again. With the wetness I just couldn't pull myself up. If I could've got my rear end 6" right I think it might of worked. Tried at this for 20 minutes, front digs, rear digs, front burn, rear burn, locker off/on, cutting brakes got so dam close but eventually bailed. I would hook the ridge with my driver side front tire and crawl as slow as possible but it would push into that rock wall every time. It lives to be conquered another day.
View attachment 287840
Wish I could have gone, once I get my sliders finished I'll be done for a bit... and get to go wheeling again :/

Reactions: B00mb00m
Wish I could have gone, once I get my sliders finished I'll be done for a bit... and get to go wheeling again :/
What's going on over there you having a hard time figuring out rivnuts!? We played the whole day down on that open area by mainline. I coulda gone back the next day it was so much fun.

What's going on over there you having a hard time figuring out rivnuts!? We played the whole day down on that open area by mainline. I coulda gone back the next day it was so much fun.
Just time... work has been insane and dealing with the basement still :/

Reactions: Wildman
Getting ready for my favorite jeep trip of the year... The Christmas tree hunt. Last year tying the tree on top of the soft top was a bit sketch so I added some overlandy AF fender tie down points.
PXL_20211128_012218577.jpg
PXL_20211128_012209491.jpg
PXL_20211128_020525165.jpg