04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

@B00mb00m , Are you using high steer knuckles on your front JK Dana 44? I mocked my front axle in place, 2" forward and the tie-rod is hitting the drag link TRE pretty hard at 4" up travel. Did you experience the same? Also, any issues with UCA hitting radiator hose?

View attachment 303425

View attachment 303426
Yes on the flat pitman, plus a flush zirc on bottom of TRE.

This is the best pic I can find. It doesn't look like you are using a savvy UCA mount, are you?

IMG_20190821_200426.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sierradmax
If I make a flat pitman, it would solve one problem..
And create a few others, especially with the gear in the stock location. And it will still hit the tie rod when you stuff it if you try to move the axle forward too much. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a stock steering setup, but wouldn’t a flat pitman hit the frame?

@B00mb00m , Are you using high steer knuckles on your front JK Dana 44? I mocked my front axle in place, 2" forward and the tie-rod is hitting the drag link TRE pretty hard at 4" up travel. Did you experience the same? Also, any issues with UCA hitting radiator hose?

View attachment 303425

View attachment 303426
Our upper limit is typically the joint body smacking into the bottom of the AC compressor. We move the upper over to the outside to tweak a bit more here and there. Not too far since the further you go the more it runs up into the bottom of the frame side mount for the motor. Some combination of AC, motor mount cut out, and such generally give us the balance we are after. It is also common to trim down the front side of the upper control arm mount to slow down interference with the radiator hose and then trim some off of the hose at the lower radiator side to push the bend forward.

Its all about a fraction here, a fraction there, and then moving the axle fore and aft to find the happy place.

You also have the option of getting a flat pitman in which will buy you a bunch of up, rework the trackbar mounts to compensate.

DSC_4920.JPG

And create a few others, especially with the gear in the stock location. And it will still hit the tie rod when you stuff it if you try to move the axle forward too much. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a stock steering setup, but wouldn’t a flat pitman hit the frame?
We get 6 1/2" of up with moderate lift heights, tolerable belly heights and the steering gear in the stock location all the time. You can't pay me enough to move the steering gear. The list of other problems that creates make all the rest of the tweaks look like a snack of a few peanut butter crackers next to a full blown Thanksgiving spread for 10.

Our upper limit is typically the joint body smacking into the bottom of the AC compressor. We move the upper over to the outside to tweak a bit more here and there. Not too far since the further you go the more it runs up into the bottom of the frame side mount for the motor. Some combination of AC, motor mount cut out, and such generally give us the balance we are after. It is also common to trim down the front side of the upper control arm mount to slow down interference with the radiator hose and then trim some off of the hose at the lower radiator side to push the bend forward.

Its all about a fraction here, a fraction there, and then moving the axle fore and aft to find the happy place.

You also have the option of getting a flat pitman in which will buy you a bunch of up, rework the trackbar mounts to compensate.

View attachment 303453
That helps a ton.. never thought about trimming the hose.

Yes on the flat pitman, plus a flush zirc on bottom of TRE.

This is the best pic I can find. It doesn't look like you are using a savvy UCA mount, are you?

View attachment 303454
Negative on Savvy mount. Clayton JK Dana 44 truss modified a bit and their upper link mount. Not sure I'll use it or if I do, it will get cut up a bit.

We get 6 1/2" of up with moderate lift heights, tolerable belly heights and the steering gear in the stock location all the time. You can't pay me enough to move the steering gear. The list of other problems that creates make all the rest of the tweaks look like a snack of a few peanut butter crackers next to a full blown Thanksgiving spread for 10.
I definitely get that. I moved mine, but for me it was to get the axle far enough forward to get my front tires out of the back of the fenders at full articulation / full lock. But damn, it was definitely a crazy amount of work.

I definitely get that. I moved mine, but for me it was to get the axle far enough forward to get my front tires out of the back of the fenders at full articulation / full lock. But damn, it was definitely a crazy amount of work.
I agree. I'm not going crazy. 2" and I think it could go more but if I were to get a flat pitman and keep a fabricated track bar (from 1.5" DOM) and an aftermarket mount, packaging gets tight with diff cover, track bar, drag link/pitman clearance and factory gearbox location.

I agree. I'm not going crazy. 2" and I think it could go more but if I were to get a flat pitman and keep a fabricated track bar (from 1.5" DOM) and an aftermarket mount, packaging gets tight with diff cover, track bar, drag link/pitman clearance and factory gearbox location.
We only use 1.25" diameter bars and tube for steering and trackbars. No need at all for the extra bulk of the larger stuff. Our trackbars are 1.25" x .120 wall with zero failures ever.

ohhh shit........... next question after this is handled will be do i really have to cut the frame for the drag link.

WFO, PSC or Partsmike has flat pitmans.

@B00mb00m, what are you runnin for a TB ? i made 1 i'm not super proud of but it works.

I ordered a flat pitman arm from WFO. Had them make it a touch longer to match my steering arm length. works great. Got my angles and up travel where they needed to be. clearance to lower radiator hose is tight.

I used 1.25 x .281 DOM for my trackbar. Reason was to tap 3/4-16 directly into the DOM to eliminate the need of a weld in bung.

Reactions: B00mb00m

ohhh shit........... next question after this is handled will be do i really have to cut the frame for the drag link.

WFO, PSC or Partsmike has flat pitmans.

@B00mb00m, what are you runnin for a TB ? i made 1 i'm not super proud of but it works.
Straight bar with heims. Been working well.

You will know if you have to trim because you will have to trim or add bumpstop length.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I ordered a flat pitman arm from WFO. Had them make it a touch longer to match my steering arm length. works great. Got my angles and up travel where they needed to be. clearance to lower radiator hose is tight.

I used 1.25 x .281 DOM for my trackbar. Reason was to tap 3/4-16 directly into the DOM to eliminate the need of a weld in bung.
We don't use anything with a 3/4" thread. Our rod ends have a 7/8-14 and our tie rod ends have 7/8-18. Well, that and without a lathe or some other special stuff I don't want to deal with, tapping tube is not as much fun as it should be.

I can send out a tube to get tapped or I can weld a bung in and get done in a day roughing in all the links.

Our trackbars are 1.25" x .120 wall with zero failures ever.
you trust that thickness with bends (3" offset) in it? that i might could bend me up 1 or even .188.
i had been working with thicker wall tubing since i'm welded together.

you trust that thickness with bends (3" offset) in it? that i might could bend me up 1 or even .188.
i had been working with thicker wall tubing since i'm welded together.
No, if I had to put bends in it, I would either use very heavy wall or sleeve it with solid aluminum bar stock first and then do the bend.

it is fugly as hell but it does what it has to, thankfully i got a good line vs the drag and it's nearly invisible directly behind it. but if 1 stuck their head into my wheel well and looked across i'm gonna have to answer to WTF.

• Haha
Reactions: B00mb00m
For me the flat pitman was only benefit, i'm forward about 1" from stock. If you make the pitman arm long it will hit the frame, Toximus notched his frame i believe. I build a telescoping pitman arm to adjust the length such that i could match the max turning radius with my axle UJ's. My flat pitman does not hit the frame. If one needs more turning radius, you and I already know the answer.... cutting brakes! :)

Reactions: NashvilleTJ