It only takes installing one set of beadkocks to know it doesn’t actually work this way - at least to do it correctly.

When you get to the point where you torque the first bolt to spec, guess what happens to that bolt as soon as you torque the one next to it - it loosens a bit and needs to be torqued again. So what happens is you torque all the bolts to spec and then you have to start over again, and repeat the process until the bolts hold to the torque spec. For me, to get to the point where the bolts stay torqued to spec I have to go around 4 or 5 times.

But still less work that those Coyotes…

Hope you can work out you pain issues, Dude. That’s no fun.
Sounds in principle like a ring gear. I noticed the Hutchinson have far fewer bolts if someone wanted to cut down on number of bolts. The final torque is much higher though. I guess the guy I watched do the torque on the racelines was doing it wrong. It amazes me something is wrong on the internet. 🤣

Edit: what mrBlaine says below is what I was originally trying to explain, so I’m back to my earlier post. Once the ring is flush to the rim you just go around and check the torque and you’re done.

Last edited:
Have you ever installed a set? Doing 120 bolts at three torque stages is no picnic! :cautious:
Whoever told you to do it that way is fucking you hard. You can't bring the bolts up to final torque value until the lock ring bottoms out and touches the rim. All the lowered torque stages are doing is slowing that down and taking way too long to move the ring against the rim. Just set the value at the final setting and keep going around the rim, that won't over torque the fasteners and will move the ring inward until it touches. At that point, then you get to go around until the one you just tightened isn't loosening the one on either side of it.

If the lock ring won't move in until it touches the rim, you have a problem that needs fixed.

Last edited:
But still less work that those Coyotes…
Have you installed any? It is different work than conventional bead locks, but not any MORE work and lest we forget both beads are being locked so there is no way outside of a set of Hutchinson or similar that they are more work that running down the bolts on inner and outer rings on the same rim.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Sounds in principle like a ring gear. I noticed the Hutchinson have far fewer bolts if someone wanted to cut down on number of bolts. The final torque is much higher though. I guess the guy I watched do the torque on the racelines was doing it wrong. It amazes me something is wrong on the internet. 🤣
It’s also likely the reason the guys said to re-torque at every oil change. Well, yeah, since they were not torqued correctly to start. I’ve never had to re-torque any of mine.

Reactions: Wildman and JMT
Have you installed any? It is different work than conventional bead locks, but not any MORE work and lest we forget both beads are being locked so there is no way outside of a set of Hutchinson or similar that they are more work that running down the bolts on inner and outer rings on the same rim.
Touche…

Sounds in principle like a ring gear.
Sure, if ring gears flexed like pool noodles and had a zillion more fasteners.
I noticed the Hutchinson have far fewer bolts if someone wanted to cut down on number of bolts. The final torque is much higher though. I guess the guy I watched do the torque on the racelines was doing it wrong. It amazes me something is wrong on the internet. 🤣
Fight a set of the inserts on some of those sometime and the only thing you'll say about them is fuck all of that.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Sure, if ring gears flexed like pool noodles and had a zillion more fasteners.

Fight a set of the inserts on some of those sometime and the only thing you'll say about them is fuck all of that.
That’s why you have hired help.

The better question is actually what pressure doesn't work in Moab?
You're right most everything works in Moab. What I was doing was trying to figure out which tires seemed to work the best of who I was wheeling with since I need tires for my other LJ and I was told I wasn't getting the ones I ordered last year.

I'm sure my lower pressures helped me but in comparison to others with similar rigs and different tires I felt mine had better slow crawling traction which is what I was looking for.

There was a portion of one obstacle that I felt a little more pressure would have helped but only one.

But, you are definitely right what works for one person doesn't mean shit for someone else with a different rig.

Last edited:
Working on it. My wife is a masseuse and a good friend is a chiropractor. My X-rays are very good, so next step is MRI on the 21st. Thanks for your concern. Constant pain is mind numbing. No joke.
Oddly enough, disc bulging and levels of disc degeneration was the main topic of my X-ray class this week. It’ll take some time and regular visits for a couple months but if it’s just bulging not completely herniated and blown out, you should be must better by the fall.

Reactions: JMT
Oddly enough, disc bulging and levels of disc degeneration was the main topic of my X-ray class this week. It’ll take some time and regular visits for a couple months but if it’s just bulging not completely herniated and blown out, you should be must better by the fall.
That news is good and bad. Good because if that indeed turns out to be the case with the MRI then it will heal, thiugh I could be more prone to it happening again. Bad because in the INW this is the only time of year to get out and be active. Mentally I don’t know if I can handle just sitting around just to get well for the coming dark winter. Very frustrating. Can’t work out, ride bikes, go on hikes. I just want to eat crap and start drinking at 4pm to alleviate the pain. At least I can have sex. 🤣

Last edited:
That news is good and bad. Good because if that indeed turns out to be the case with the MRI then it will heal, thiugh I could be more prone to it happening again. Bad because in the INW this is the only time of year to get out and be active. Mentally I don’t know if I can handle just sitting around just to get well for the king dark winter. Very frustrating. Can’t work out, ride bikes, go on hikes. I just want to eat crap and start drinking at 4pm to alleviate the pain.
Lawn chair, beverage.. tell kids what to do?

Lawn chair, beverage.. tell kids what to do?
I’m still trying to do stuff. I organized all my jeep parts in the attic a few days ago. 3 hours of bad pain, but I can’t just sit around. I drilled out a bolt on the XJ yesterday and re-threaded the hole for the rear bumpstop. So I am doing stuff. Don’t know if I can do the rear frame tuck I planned or the raised body mounts. Have to see how I feel. And I’ve got this rubicon to do before Winter. MCE flares are here. PS corner armor. Lots of prep and painting. Sliders after that. I have help with that stuff. Frame has to be done. Then pull axles. I can’t do that stuff. Lawn chair, beverage, pipe, and orders. 👍🏼

EDIT: probably shouldn’t be doing any of this stuff. I’m sure @TRE3TOP will chime in.

The two rims clamping together is a totally different system than clamping a ring onto the outer edge of a rim. And if you look at some of the pictures I've posted of me wrestling the inserts into & out of a tire it's a bear. I've never installed the Coyote inserts but do agree that you're over thinking it a bit.

That news is good and bad. Good because if that indeed turns out to be the case with the MRI then it will heal, thiugh I could be more prone to it happening again. Bad because in the INW this is the only time of year to get out and be active. Mentally I don’t know if I can handle just sitting around just to get well for the coming dark winter. Very frustrating. Can’t work out, ride bikes, go on hikes. I just want to eat crap and start drinking at 4pm to alleviate the pain. At least I can have sex. 🤣

Just don't do too much and aggravate it more. And yep you can handle it, just have to look at it as a small step in time and know you will be back at it soon.

Moving from the southeast to Oregon a few years ago, the seasonal depression was SUPER REAL. Combine that with the several weeks of fire season during what is supposed to be the most enjoyable time of the year severely affected my mental health.

• Sad
You can't bring the bolts up to final torque value until the lock ring bottoms out and touches the rim. All the lowered torque stages are doing is slowing that down and taking way to long to move the ring against the rim.
I learned this by wheel #2, but still followed it. Not having done a set before, I was overly paranoid about stripping a bolt hole in an expensive aluminum wheel. I got over that the second time!

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
I have a neck pro unit that is providing traction. It’s a job in itself doing ice, taking anti-inflammatory’s, and traction every hour, not to mention going to appointments. I’m glad my masseuse lives with me!
I don't know exactly what you're going through, but I used to have terrible migranes (Reduntant, I know). Went to Dr's for it...they did nothing. Went to a Chiropractor and he took an x-ray and identified that my head was not over my shoulder like it should be. It was forward...from hunching over starting at a computer screen for hours at a time at work. I did about 24 visits, 2-3 times a week for traction. It pulled my head back where it's supposed to be and I don't have nearly as many headaches as I used to. When I do get them, I use my back roller and get it stretched back out. I also go to the chiropractor once a month now... Or more depending on that week's hockey game!

Reactions: Wildman
The two rims clamping together is a totally different system than clamping a ring onto the outer edge of a rim. And if you look at some of the pictures I've posted of me wrestling the inserts into & out of a tire it's a bear. I've never installed the Coyote inserts but do agree that you're over thinking it a bit.

Just don't do too much and aggravate it more. And yep you can handle it, just have to look at it as a small step in time and know you will be back at it soon.
Ok, well, here’s the video I was watching for Raceline install of a single beadlock system. I must have missed it the first time because he does say to go around and torque 3 times starting with 10-12, then 14-15, and lastly 16-18ft/lbs. It mainly looks time consuming. He also mentions bead thickness decreasing lately and how this can create issues with the spacing. If it’s too thick you may need a spacer behind the ring so it doesn’t start bending inward and the torque being applied only on the outer portion of the bolt. He also discusses the advantage of a steel ring which is mainly aesthetic as far as I can tell since they are black and easier to touch up.

Reactions: Wildman
I learned this by wheel #2, but still followed it. Not having done a set before, I was overly paranoid about stripping a bolt hole in an expensive aluminum wheel. I got over that the second time!
Raceline discusses the typical tapped aluminum bolt holes that could be stripped or a bolt broken off. Raceline avoided this and went with a hardened steel insert that can be trail fixed. I don’t know if that’s really better or not, but they made it sound better.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
Ok, well, here’s the video I was watching for Raceline install of a single beadlock system. I must have missed it the first time because he does say to go around and torque 3 times starting with 10-12, then 14-15, and lastly 16-18ft/lbs. It mainly looks time consuming. He also mentions bead thickness decreasing lately and how this can create issues with the spacing. If it’s too thick you may need a spacer behind the ring so it doesn’t start bending inward and the torque being applied only on the outer portion of the bolt. He also discusses the advantage of a steel ring which is mainly aesthetic as far as I can tell since they are black and easier to touch up.

That is exactly what I did the 1st time.

@mrblaine What is the purpose of torquing incrementally before the ring touches? Especially if you’re not going to be reaching final torque till the ring is touching the wheel? All you’re doing incrementally is smashing the tire bead.