I'd lean towards body color myself, if not leaving it black

1711993174699.png

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
I'm interested to see what you can come up with as far as color. I've tried three and lost interest before getting a "match".

View attachment 514382

The headlight bezels next to the GR fenders. The paint doesn’t have a color name, but is a metallic enamel. Here’s the numbers on the bottom of the can. It is sufficient IMO, but it would probably not please everyone. I think yours looks very good and I’d be interested in knowing what it is.

IMG_3217.jpeg

IMG_3218.jpeg

IMG_3219.jpeg

The headlight bezels next to the GR fenders. The paint doesn’t have a color name, but is a metallic enamel. Here’s the numbers on the bottom of the can. It is sufficient IMO, but it would probably not please everyone. I think yours looks very good and I’d be interested in knowing what it is.

View attachment 514401

View attachment 514402

View attachment 514403

I think that was the first can I tried. It's impossible to get a perfect match in my case having three different pieces of aluminum of three different "ages". The color in the picture I posted is Aervoe 309 suggested by mrblaine.

Reactions: Wildman and JMT
I think that was the first can I tried. It's impossible to get a perfect match in my case having three different pieces of aluminum of three different "ages". The color in the picture I posted is Aervoe 309 suggested by mrblaine.

Do you or did you do any sanding on your aluminum to even out the color? I use 320 grit across the various aluminum pieces to even out the color. I may do an experiment with aluminum and the paints to see how close I can get with different grits to the Rustoleum I have and the Aervoe 309 Blaine suggested.

Reactions: Wildman
Do you or did you do any sanding on your aluminum to even out the color? I use 320 grit across the various aluminum pieces to even out the color. I may do an experiment with aluminum and the paints to see how close I can get with different grits to the Rustoleum I have and the Aervoe 309 Blaine suggested.

I haven't tried to sand/scuff the different pieces although it has been on the list of things to do. What process/equipment do you use?

I haven't tried to sand/scuff the different pieces although it has been on the list of things to do. What process/equipment do you use?

I clean the aluminum with a mixture of white vinegar and distilled or reverse osmosis water (1:1). After allowing any residue to evaporate I sand with appropriate grit. If I'm trying to remove scratches it depends on depth, but 120 is a conservative start. Then move to 220, then 320. If no scratches I just go straight to 320 on an orbital sander. Edges or curves can be more difficult. I've used orbital on the radius of the corner armor, and I've also tried hand and block sanding, but it's less even, so I always try to figure out a way to use a 5" orbital sander. Aluminum is amazing and if you go to 3000 grit it will look like a mirror. I've never gone that far, but I've been tempted just out of interest. The pics below were prep for painting, but they could be left simply as bare aluminum. I'm going to go over my fenders like this sometime this week.

IMG_0377.jpeg

IMG_0376.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: L J and Wildman
I like the silver, or stay black!

Thanks @dla. Great skill you’ve got there. Now I don’t have to just imagine what it would look like. Very helpful.

Reactions: dla and Wildman
Received some great “cooler” parts for the Setrab from @mrblaine. The quality looks fantastic! I’m excited to have it all “right” with the best so I don’t have to be concerned. I’m kinda looking forward to digging into this project. I think it might be a bit more than I expect. I’ll try to start Thursday when I’m off work so I can get this rig on the trails without worry ASAP!

IMG_3221.jpeg

I like the silver, or stay black!

Thanks @dla. Great skill you’ve got there. Now I don’t have to just imagine what it would look like. Very helpful.

I like the body color or stay Black... IMO I'd stay Black for now until you have a real reason to pull the sliders.

Reactions: Apparition and JMT
We put my old 35’s on @KJT TJR to see how it would drive with a well-balanced tire-wheel set. It was way better than with the Irok’s that he was running. Totally livable. He’s been chasing steering issues (steering pump replaced) and steering box on horizon. This at least showed that a good balance makes a difference.

IMG_3227.jpeg

I clean the aluminum with a mixture of white vinegar and distilled or reverse osmosis water (1:10). After allowing any residue to evaporate I sand with appropriate grit.

Can you expand on these two products and why to use them? Especially to leave them side and evaporate.

I believe you (or maybe it was others) mentioned in a separate thread I posted to use rubbing alcohol. I'm needing to fix/better my aluminum this summer. So I'm collecting tips.

Does the vinegar/distilled water pull imperfections to the surface? Trying to reason in my mind why this step.

Can you expand on these two products and why to use them? Especially to leave them side and evaporate.

I believe you (or maybe it was others) mentioned in a separate thread I posted to use rubbing alcohol. I'm needing to fix/better my aluminum this summer. So I'm collecting tips.

Does the vinegar/distilled water pull imperfections to the surface? Trying to reason in my mind why this step.

The white vinegar/ water solution is a cleaning agent for aluminum (learned fromreeearch in the www). Clean them till there is nothing on the cloth. I use rubbing alcohol for steel.

Don’t forget that with Aluminum you want to paint within 20 min of last sanding and cleaning with white vinegar/water solution. It’s a narrow window, but once you get the 1k self-etch primer on you don’t have to worry about that anymore.

The white vinegar/ water solution is a cleaning agent for aluminum (learned fromreeearch in the www). Clean them till there is nothing on the cloth. I use rubbing alcohol for steel.

Thank you! Great tip. I'll go this route when I approach the task. We always have white vinegar in the house and gallons of distilled water for the twin toddlers (cleaning, humidifier, etc.).