05 wrangler Speaker Replacement

RTom

New member here - just found this forum today at work and figured I'd try to tap into all your knowledge and opinions!

We bought our 05 Wrangler Sport last May and have absolutely loved it. However, the center console sub never worked.

I've spent quite a while looking into what I wanted to do to replace it. We would like to be able to hear the music at high way speeds but don't need to be rattling windows. We usually drive it with the top down and doors off so we dont want anything to flashy as a target.

What are your opinions on the following:

JVC KD-R97 MBS radio - with the CD, Bluetooth connectivity and removable face plate it seemed ideal for what we were looking for.

JVC CS-DR50 5.25 2 way speakers - for both the rollback speakers (should bolt right in) and the front speakers (minimal modification from what I've read necessary)

Quadratec TJ REPSUB as the replacement sub for the center console sun. I was hoping to avoid having to replace the factory amp and know there is limited room for subs there. Suns behind the backseat aren't really an option for us.

From what I've read these are all good options but figured getting imputed from you guys couldn't hurt.

Thanks in advance!

That JVC looks similar to the Kenwood KDC-BT365U unit I got for Xmas. That should work out fine. You'll need to get the 5.25" speaker adapters for the dash speakers. The stock ones are 4x6" I believe. Can't advise you on the factory sub. Mine didn't come with one, so I made my own. Check the connections to the sub amp and make sure it's not the amp causing the issue.

I searched for the JVC CS-DR50 5.25 speaker several different ways on Google but nothing came up. Can you provide a link to them?

Welcome to the forum! There are adapter brackets on Amazon to mount 5.25 in the dash. The pods can take 6.5/6.75 with minimal hassle, it is very common. I don't have the sub but if you Google you can easily find info on console driver replacements that are better and cheaper than the Quadratec replacement. Of course with any sub, power is key. The factory amp is very low power, something like 40 watts, and they commonly go out as does the driver.

The important number to look for in speakers in the sensitivity, rated in db's. The higher the number, the louder they will play at the given power. Look for 90+. Open air TJ's need all the help they can get.

What I did to mine; 5.25 Kenwoods with adapters in dash, PowerBass tweeters in A pillar, 6.5 Kenwoods in pods stuffed tight with poly-fill and sealed around the driver with speaker sealing tape, run off a Sony media player head unit (no cd), powered off a Clarion amp. The amp is zip tied to the factory deck bracket due to the shallowness of the media player. Sounds good, loud enough even with the bikini on, but not any reasonable bass. I may add a slim powered sub in the future.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Like Rob said, Crutchfield is great for getting technical info on the products, but Amazon is way cheaper. The amp I'm going to buy is literally half the price on Amazon.

Will he have trouble making the factory sub amp play nice with the aftermarket head unit?

Sorry. Typo on my part. Should have been CS-DR520

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105CSDR520/JVC-CS-DR520.html
I can't recommend those with their 88 dB Sensitivity rating since you're not also installing a separate higher power auxiliary amplifier. I'd go for something with a higher 90 to 92 dB Sensitivity rating like the Polk DB series. The higher the Sensitivity rating, the less power they require to be fully driven so they sound good. A 91 dB Sensitivity rating like Polk's DB series has is a better match for the power level coming out of that JVC receiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob5589