1.25" Body Lift Question

TJ_GG

The one-inch body- lifts, they do not require any modifications to such things as: A/C lines, gas tank filler tubes, radiator drop down brackets, etc.
What about transfer case?
Is This true??

No it is not true. Unless you do not have those things. You will need to move your radiator shroud down fit where the fan ends up. If you do not have one, get one! You may need to re-adjust your linkages to work correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Agreed. To do it properly you'll need a MML (motor mount lift) and you'll either need to re-adjust your transferase linkages or get an aftermarket linkage (which in my opinion is way better than the stock one).

A MML is not required. You can just drop down the shroud. IMO, MMLs exacerbate the #1 cylinder oiling problem. But to each his own. With that said, a MML, if coupled within a new mount, would benefit an older cracked or dry mount. M.O.R.E "Bomb Proof" mounts are nice. The rubber isolation will reduce engine vibes being transfered to the frame.

No it is not true. Unless you do not have those things. You will need to move your radiator shroud tp fit where the fan ends up. If you do not have one, get one! You may need to re-adjust your linkages to work correctly.
X2, just lower the fan shroud an inch by drilling new 1" lower mounting holes in it, no need for a MML. You may or may not need a transfer case relocation bracket to level the shifter mechanism which is mounted between the transfer case which stays at the same height and body which gets raised up an inch. My '97 TJ's transfer case shifter worked fine after installing my 1" body lift but not all are so fortunate. It seems like I also had to install a short extension pipe between the gas filler hose and the gas cap assembly which came in my Performance Accessories 1" BL kit.

Yes, I should have stated that a MML is not necessary by any means! Just an option while you're in there.

Agreed. To do it properly you'll need a MML (motor mount lift) and you'll either need to re-adjust your transferase linkages or get an aftermarket linkage (which in my opinion is way better than the stock one).
MML is a big reason to do a BL, in my opinion. I have a bracket that removes the body tub mount for the t/c shifter and it works quite well.

MML is a big reason to do a BL, in my opinion. .
There's no need to do a body lift just because a MML was installed. A MML lifts the fan up so it's an inch higher but you only need to raise the fan shroud an inch (drill new 1" lower mounting holes in it) to compensate, you don't need to install a body lift to do that. :)

Depends on the engine and trans. If you're running the 42RLE, pay close attention to where the bellhousing gets close to the flange on the firewall. If you don't do a body lift at the same time as a MML, you may wind up with some contact you don't want in that area.

I suspect the reason we never encounter the #1 oil issue is we rarely do a MML and BL without raising the belly at the same time.

There's no need to do a body lift just because a MML was installed. A MML lifts the fan up so it's an inch higher but you only need to raise the fan shroud an inch (drill new 1" lower mounting holes in it) to compensate, you don't need to install a body lift to do that. :)

..............and the point of the MML is to do a belly lift. ;)

Reactions: Chris
well i see this is quiet a bit older post but i just wanted to add something i just heard from Rough Country. I am thinking about adding a 1.25 body lift to my 97 tj that already has a 4" suspension lift. I just got off the chat line with Rough Country and they tell me i need to do a MML if i install the 1.25 body lift. I know thats just one mans opinion, but figured he would be a good person to ask.
So since yall commented to this post have you changed you mind about the MML along with a body lift? I want to do the body lift for just a little more distance between the tire and fender well. So are there several reasons to do a MML ??

well i see this is quiet a bit older post but i just wanted to add something i just heard from Rough Country. I am thinking about adding a 1.25 body lift to my 97 tj that already has a 4" suspension lift. I just got off the chat line with Rough Country and they tell me i need to do a MML if i install the 1.25 body lift. I know thats just one mans opinion, but figured he would be a good person to ask.
So since yall commented to this post have you changed you mind about the MML along with a body lift? I want to do the body lift for just a little more distance between the tire and fender well. So are there several reasons to do a MML ??
That guy at Rough Country is clueless, a MML is definitely not required after installing a body lift.

You only need to lower the fan shroud an inch after installing a 1" body lift so it lines up with the factory height engine fan again. Installing a 1" body lift raises the radiator and thus its fan shroud 1". Drilling new mounting holes 1" higher in the fan shroud will allow you to lower it back down that inch so it properly clears the engine fan.

Last edited:
That guy at Rough Country is clueless, a MML is definitely not required after installing a body lift.

You only need to lower the fan shroud an inch so it lines up with the factory height engine fan. Installing a 1" body lift raises the radiator and thus its fan shroud 1". Drilling new mounting holes 1" higher in the fan shroud will allow you to lower it back down so it properly clears the engine fan.

X2 to what Jerry said.

I would not be relying on Rough Country for sound advice. They're widely regarded for selling one of the shittiest (if not the shittiest) lifts out there for the TJ.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Jerry, does the MML actually help with other things like pinion angle, transfer and shifter lever height?

The MML is going to position the rear of the engine and transmission / transfer case at a downward angle. Because of this, it's going to make the angle of the transfercase output less severe (since it's pointed downwards more). This will help alleviate vibrations and make it so that your rear pinion / driveshaft angle won't typically have to be so extreme.