1997 wrangler factory original soft top

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey all, I just figured out I have a 1997 chrysler factory original soft top on my jeep.
The frame and all are in great shape, the cloth part is faded but not torn. the windows are not cracked but hard to see out of. So if i want to just replace the skin and window part of the top, where do i look to buy it?

If you want the best option (also the most money) I would go with the Bestop Replace-a-Top. However, you're going to spend around $500 for that (it is an OEM top after all).

If you want to save some money the Smittybilt top is an affordable option:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CGH13S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The Smittybilt isn't going to be as high quality as the Bestop, but it's certainly not bad.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
ok thanks. the reason i asked, i ordered a product called 303 areospace vinyl protector. I can put it on lots of different surfaces but maybe not cloth. ill call the mfg. and find out.

ok thanks. the reason i asked, i ordered a product called 303 areospace vinyl protector. I can put it on lots of different surfaces but maybe not cloth. ill call the mfg. and find out.
The exterior of your soft top is not cloth, it is a vinyl of some variation. The interior is cloth that is what the vinyl coating is bonded to. The "sail cloth" version of the OEM top did not show up until around 2000 or so and it is just a heavier vinyl soft top material.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
well I clean my soft top with 303 vinyl top cleaner then used the areospace protectant on the Top and rubber door seals and window seals and under the hood on hoses and all plastic and rubber. It looks great !!! ill continue using the areo space protectanton the top as directed.

Reactions: Chris