20 years of incrementalism or Blackjacks 98 SE

Damn I've got a BestTop one sitting in my garage. Can't use it with the harness bar. Wish you were closer.

Ooh which one is it? If you have a box, I have a UPS account and a Portland address that I use for consolidation shipping up here.

Ooh which one is it? If you have a box, I have a UPS account and a Portland address that I use for consolidation shipping up here.

I have the box and everything. I'll get you the information later.

I can tell you it's the kit that had the support for the cab area & I think the duster is also part of it but not 100% sure.

Last edited:
22:50. Twenty minutes before sunset.

View attachment 428653

August 1997, The Army moved my family to Ft Wainwright AK, We were in a hotel and the kids were playing out side after I got off work. Our hotel was by the Fairbanks Airport on the Highway. All of the sudden I noticed that the highway was dead quiet. I thought that was weird, I look at my watch and it said 2am, it took a second and I was like huh, I got off work at 4pm. Looked again and realized it was in fact 2 am. I looked at the wife and showed her and she could not believe it either. Needless to say we rushed the kids to bed as I had PT formation in 4 hours. I really enjoyed those 3 years of my life up there!

The first year took some getting use to but after that it was normal. Jumping ahead to November 2000, The Army moved my family to Savannah Ga, The first year there I was out hunting with my buddy wearing jeans and a Tee shirt in wet freezing temps. There was ice all over the ground. He was in full winter coveralls. When we step out the door and I had on a long sleeve shirt over my Tee shirt. We regrouped at lunch and my long sleeve shirt was tied around my waist and I was wet head to toe from the water and sweat as I was walking around. He looked at me and asked "are you really not cold." LOL Again I loved Alaska. The next year I was bundled up for hunting though.

Keep the pics coming

So while this is going on in Florida
IMG_3485.jpeg

This is going on here on the protected part of my shop.
IMG_3483.jpeg

This is what it’s going to look like for the next few days.
IMG_3484.jpeg

Needless to say we are hunkered down and helping neighbors who are having trouble.

Never mind... I guess years ago I'd looked that the half cab kit and then never bought it. I just have the wrap around windjammer.

Reactions: Blackjack
Reactions: Mike_H
That's very cold. Stay warm brother.

I hate the weather related fear mongering in the news these days.

Yeah the fear monger shit needs to go away. Of course on the flip side is that if weather folks tell you the truth that things are going to be bad you should take heed and act appropriately. That is one thing about living up here is that weather is an everyday thing so you just hope the information is accurate so you can make wise decisions.

So while this is going on in Florida
View attachment 494846

This is going on here on the protected part of my shop.
View attachment 494847

This is what it’s going to look like for the next few days.
View attachment 494848

Needless to say we are hunkered down and helping neighbors who are having trouble.

lol…53 degrees in Florida and they are saying to dress in layers and bundle up. It was 40 here yesterday and I was outside working in my sweatshirt, taking advantage of the warm weather and getting some stuff done on the motorhome (stored in an unheated building)

You guys stay warm up there, eh? -30 is no joke.

Looks like I got some work to do this weekend.

IMG_3516.jpeg

Good thing is good thing it did not have to make another truck swap. Some staples or some extra tape would be a good idea.

IMG_3517.jpeg

Everything else looks intact so that’s good. Will get this thing on and give my thoughts this weekend.

Morryde tailgate kit installed. Won’t bore you with the install but here are a few observations.

First is the packaging. Previous reviews I checked out had the parts wrapped and taped in foam. Not anymore, everything is just laying in the boxes with perforated cardboard. So with the long journey to here in Alaska there a few dings for sure. Other things are they are slacking with the laser and other tooling.

IMG_3529.jpeg

IMG_3528.jpeg

IMG_3526.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
The hinges are kinda bothering me. First is one is not centered. I know that in the grand scheme it is not a huge deal. Since I am not running stock style taillights I wanted to flip the top bolt so I pulled the bolt and had a look. It is simple enough with a couple flanged bushings. One thing that is not there is a sleeve for the bolt to pass through that would prevent the bolt from over pinching the bracket. Instead there is a couple flat washers acting as a bit of an extra bearing surface. Try as I might I could not perfectly center the hinge meaning the main sleeve most likely was welded in off a hair.

IMG_3527.jpeg

IMG_3530.jpeg

IMG_3531.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman and JMT
The reason I am pointing this out is these are going for $412 or more now. So not only has the price continued to increase but the overall QC and cost reduction measures are being implemented as well.

And with Cav Fab bringing out a hinge kit with beefier hinges and a full adjustable tire mount. https://cavfab.com/products/elite-series-body-mounted-spare-tire-carrier-tj-lj

I know that it is $200 more but there is a lot more fab involved as well as including the tire carrier. I chose the Morryde because I let Mr Bezos subsidize the freight and I have an idea for a tire carrier that I want to build and see if others might be interested in as well.