2001 60th Anniversary Silverstone TJ

As a second update for the day, I thought I'd throw some photos up of the front bumper etc. I am going to mount. I opted for a KD Fabworks mid-width 49" bumper with their fairlead bracket and trail bar. I did not get the light mounts on the trail bar, and I did get the powder coat. It looks to be really well made, but it did take a long time to arrive. — No comments yet on ease of mounting. —

The fairlead is a Cascadia 1" Hawse, I'm going to run the Factor 55 Splicer and a Warn Zeon 8-s.

I'll post photos when I get my Jeep back from receiving new gears and get things mounted up.

(I had made the silly decision earlier to buy a Smittybilt thimble (will be returned). Look at the size of the damn thing! See the penny for scale on the 55.)

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_0563.jpeg

IMG_0564.jpeg

IMG_0566.jpeg

IMG_0565.jpeg

Last edited:
Miles don't accumulate on the odometer when flat towing.

I’ll take your word for it. I don’t understand what’s at play in a towing setup, but I am curious if you feel like breaking it down. At 40k miles, I didn’t really care when pulling the trigger.

The
I’ll take your word for it. I don’t understand what’s at play in a towing setup, but I am curious if you feel like breaking it down. At 40k miles, I didn’t really care when pulling the trigger.
Unlike the older vehicles that had mechanical driven odometers the computer actually keeps track of the mileage on newer vehicles like our TJs. When the key is not in the run position the computer does not get any input from the sensors so it won't record mileage. When you flat tow your key is in the ignition but only turned far enough to unlock the steering wheel. Your transfer case should be in neutral and the transmission, in park (auto) or 1st gear (manual).

The

Unlike the older vehicles that had mechanical driven odometers the computer actually keeps track of the mileage on newer vehicles like our TJs. When the key is not in the run position the computer does not get any input from the sensors so it won't record mileage. When you flat tow your key is in the ignition but only turned far enough to unlock the steering wheel. Your transfer case should be in neutral and the transmission, in park (auto) or 1st gear (manual).

Thanks for sharing. Makes sense.

Reactions: reddvltj
As a second update for the day, I thought I'd throw some photos up of the front bumper etc. I am going to mount. I opted for a KD Fabworks mid-width 49" bumper with their fairlead bracket and trail bar. I did not get the light mounts on the trail bar, and I did get the powder coat. It looks to be really well made, but it did take a long time to arrive. — No comments yet on ease of mounting. —

The fairlead is a Cascadia 1" Hawse, I'm going to run the TRE Splicer Thimble and a Warn Zeon 8-s.

I'll post photos when I get my Jeep back from receiving new gears and get things mounted up.

(I had made the silly decision earlier to buy a Smittybilt thimble (will be returned). Look at the size of the damn thing! See the penny for scale on the TRE.)

View attachment 124524

View attachment 124525

View attachment 124526

View attachment 124527

View attachment 124528
Wow that bumper is suh-weet! I'm deffinitly a fan of the "mid width" bumpers, but until now I had unofficially settled for the Hanson 52" bumper. But now I think I'm leaning more towards that one! :geek:

Reactions: jtbrigham
Wow that bumper is suh-weet! I'm deffinitly a fan of the "mid width" bumpers, but until now I had unofficially settled for the Hanson 52" bumper. But now I think I'm leaning more towards that one! :geek:

After unboxing and inspection, I am glad I went this route. Be forewarned, it had the longest lead time, and KD offered the least amount of communication along the way. Go into an order with that in mind, and you're all set. At this point (pre-mounting), I'd buy it again.

Very nice starting point, looks like you are doing a lot of nice mod's

Thank you!

Reactions: Vasq
After unboxing and inspection, I am glad I went this route. Be forewarned, it had the longest lead time, and KD offered the least amount of communication along the way. Go into an order with that in mind, and you're all set. At this point (pre-mounting), I'd buy it again.
Ever get that bumper mounted?

Small, picture-less update. I am pulling the trigger on Savvy Rockers today. They are backordered, but that's fine.

After reading a ton of threads and visiting all of the top function-over-form contenders' websites, Savvy just seems like the guaranteed results choice. I was torn between JCR, AtoZ, Genright and Savvy.

The hunt for rockers really started to snowball into some decision points around fenders. I deeply considered some Metalcloaks, but I can't really get into the look of the front-on view. That coupled with seeing some pictures of Jeeps damaged from bombproof fenders warping the body itself on impact, I decided against them.

UPDATE: I cancelled my order on Savvy's site today. I do believe they build good products, but their communication is completely non-existent. Multiple attempts to reach them by both phone and email and nothing. Anyone have some rocker recs similar to but other than Genright or Savvy? As its stands, I am leaning to Genright, but I am open to alternatives.

Reactions: ranger101
UPDATE: I cancelled my order on Savvy's site today. I do believe they build good products, but their communication is completely non-existent. Multiple attempts to reach them by both phone and email and nothing. Anyone have some rocker recs similar to but other than Genright or Savvy? As its stands, I am leaning to Genright, but I am open to alternatives.
Genright was next on my list as well. I think Warn rockers are also ww2ww but not aluminum, still good one's from what I've read. I've also heard terrible things about Savvy's PR but I haven't had any bad luck with them personally.

Genright was next on my list as well. I think Warn rockers are also ww2ww but not aluminum, still good one's from what I've read. I've also heard terrible things about Savvy's PR but I haven't had any bad luck with them personally.

If you can't pick up the phone (tried multiple times) or return an email (sent two), I don't have much faith in support going forward. Sorry, Savvy.

I checked the Warn's out. Thanks for the heads up.

I'd vote for Warn, provided you also don't need a step of sorts.

@JMT has a great thread on sliders.

That thread is hugely helpful, albeit a bit outdated. I checked it out again and rediscovered the Nemesis Billy Rockers. Shot them an email with a few questions. I'm investigating...

If you can't pick up the phone (tried multiple times) or return an email (sent two), I don't have much faith in support going forward. Sorry, Savvy.

I checked the Warn's out. Thanks for the heads up.
I completely agree. If they had ignored me I'd probably have gone with genright's.

Trigger pulled (again) on rockers. I went with JCR's. I think they are pretty solid based on some research, and while they may not be as strong in function as form compared to the Genrights, I definitely like the way they look. Amateur photoshoppery included.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 5.17.33 PM.png

Last edited: