2001 Sahara

The AC has had a slow leak since I bought it, but it’s never really been an issue because most of the time we drive with the windows out anyway. I’ve filled it up a few times and it lasts awhile, but I’ve never searched for the leak. Knowing this weekend was going to be 88 degrees and sunny for a three day event, I decided to bring it to a local guy to recharge the system and add some dye so I can find the leak. We replaced both Schrader valves because he had some extra. Maybe I’ll get lucky and it will have been an easy fix.

Today was the first day of that three day event. There were a lot of washboards, and the Rocksports soaked up everything, completely different from the Bilsteins. I’m extremely happy with the choice. The Jeep did everything I asked it to with ease and the suspension was completely quiet. No squeaks or clunks. :)

I’m also very happy that I got the AC working, even if it only lasts for the weekend.

The steering seems a little sloppy though, like there is backlash in the wheel. I’m going to do some investigating after the weekend is over.

So the three day event is over, and I'm really pleased with the Jeep. It outperformed many other Jeeps that were on bigger lifts and larger tires. The AC stayed cold, which was great as it was 88 degrees and full sun. After a short walk around, I saw from the dirt lines on the shock shafts that I used all of the available travel that the Rocksports gave me.

I have small list of things that I need to do:
  • Clean and lubricate the front control arms joints - during off camber articulation they were creaking something awful.
  • Inspect the steering shaft for play
  • Cut and re-weld the seat adjusters. The Corbeau seats sit further back on the mounts than the original seats, so the adjuster sits proud of the seat. My feet hit both the driver and passenger side a few times and it's just annoying.
  • Replace front axle seal
  • Adjust parking brake again, it still doesn't feel like it's fully engaging
  • Adjust Savvy shift cable?
I popped out of 4low twice. My guess is that when I originally installed the Savvy shifter cable I didn't have the adjustment quite right, as this isn't the first time that it's happened. Through some searching, I found a post by Blaine:

If it won't stay in 4Low, loosen the jam nuts and move the cable housing towards the t-case. That adjusts the throw a bit further. Cable for length between holes, cable housing for throw.

I'll try that and see if it helps.

Overall, we had a really fun weekend. I think next near we will get a hotel room to avoid the 90 minute drive there and back. My wife was excited to drive and wants to do more. :)

Edit I just went out to the garage and checked the rear drums. I think that they need to be adjusted. The tire spun several rotations after a hard pull on it, and I believe it should only spin about one rotation. I'll add that adjustment to the weekend to do list.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPerkWVU and Chris
How do you like the Rocksports? I've been looking at the Metalcloak 3.5 lift kit and kinda between the Rocksport edition and ARB with OME shocks.

I can only compare them to the Bilstein 5100s that I had. I am so much happier with all aspects of the Rocksports, that I can't believe that I kept the Bilsteins on for years. Based on my limited experience with shocks, I would absolutely recommend them over the Bilstein 5100s.

Reactions: DH-Jeep
Who makes the Rocksports? I want to say they were re-branded something or another shocks (which is likely true), but I can't remember who it was. I'd read something on it at some point or another, but I can't seem to find that post for the life of me.

Either way, nice to hear a review on them. You don't hear too much about them.

The Rocksports are made by Metalcloak. The common thought is that they are rebranded OME Nitrocharger Sports.

Perhaps a better worded response is that it is believed that Metalcloak goes through the same company that manufacturers the OME shocks and has them make their own branded version as the Nitrocharger Sports. No one seems to know for sure, and they are not providing any details.

Either way I guess the point is mute as you like the ride they provide, and that is really all that matters. Sounds like they may have spent some time to valve them properly for our light TJ's.

What would be really cool is if OME took all their overstock of first gen Nitros and rebranded them as the Rocksports. IMO, the first gen Nitros rode exceptionally well for a TJ.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Slow Jeep day, but I was able to scratch two projects off of the list. I finally washed all the mud and dirt off of it from last weekend and adjusted the rear drums. ¯\(ツ)

Reactions: Chris
I have small list of things that I need to do:
  • Clean and lubricate the front control arms joints - during off camber articulation they were creaking something awful.
  • Inspect the steering shaft for play
  • Cut and re-weld the seat adjusters. The Corbeau seats sit further back on the mounts than the original seats, so the adjuster sits proud of the seat. My feet hit both the driver and passenger side a few times and it's just annoying.
  • Replace front axle seal
  • Adjust parking brake again, it still doesn't feel like it's fully engaging
  • Adjust Savvy shift cable?
I popped out of 4low twice. My guess is that when I originally installed the Savvy shifter cable I didn't have the adjustment quite right, as this isn't the first time that it's happened. Through some searching, I found a post by Blaine:
I'll try that and see if it helps.

I was able to get back into the garage a bit this week to prep for another trail ride today.

The transfer case shift lever seemed to be right in the middle of each gate, so I left it as is. I also did a little research in the Metalcloak owners group, and the creaking that I was hearing didn’t seem to be attributed to the joints. It was suggested that I spray the front and rear track bar heim joints and lower spring perches with fluid film, so I did that.

My wife drove most of the time and gained a lot more confidence. The Jeep never popped out of four low, and not a creak or squeak was heard. :)

I have one of these mountaineer racks in my TJ as well. I actually picked up (probably in 2003 - EDIT to change from 2003 to 2002 - obviously since the photo below is from 2002) a 'display' rack from Wilderness racks which is a little bit bigger than the Olympic basket. I have the option to use either but the wilderness basket takes up all of the space behind the seats while the olympic basket leaves some clearance.

I have left mine centered (more or less) so I have the option of putting my folding table in the back (behind the basket) but still have some space for my rolled up tent, camping chairs, etc. behind the seats.

One of the coolest mods I found for my rig.

That's the original BlackSheep with the wilderness rack behind the seat in 2002. BlackSheep II is in progress and at this moment the intention is to use the Olympic basket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serbonze
It's been awhile since an update. Due to a family illness, there wasn't much time to do anything with the Jeep other than drive it around town.

Over the last few months the Jeep has had a metallic rattle whenever I drove over a washboard, larger bumps, or street reflectors. I searched all over the Jeep and thought that II found the source many, many times and made what I thought were fixes, it was always still there. I was really frustrated and decided one Sunday to go out and spend a little more time and started banging against just about everything under the Jeep. I "think" I finally found the problem. Several years ago while looking at a potential oil pan skid plate I found that the passenger side bolt on the transmission housing that holds the inspection plate was stripped. Well, that sucker eventually backed out about half way and was allowing that inspection plate (which is pretty thin metal) to rattle and slap around. I found this when I started tapping on the plate. Since the it's a through hole, I just ran a smaller bolt through and tightened it down with a nut. *knock on wood* that fixed the rattle. :)

Reactions: Mike_H
It's time to budget for the move from 33s to 35s. This is my build list, and I'm happy to receive constructive feedback.

To recap, the Jeep is a 2001 4.0 with the Dana 30/Dana 44 with the below parts already installed.

Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 33x12.5x15
Revolution 4.10 gears
4" Currie Springs
Advanced Adapters SYE
Savvy Cable Shifter
Black Magic front pads with Centric rotors and discs
Black Magic rear shoes and drums
ZJ tie rod
OE sway bar with JKS disconnects
Adjustable control arms and track bars

35s Build List
Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 35x12.5x15
Revolution 4.56 gears
Revolution Discovery F/R chromoly axle shafts
Vanco 15" BBK
Rockjock CurrectLync
Savvy 1.25" Body Lift
Savvy 1" motor mount lift
37 tooth speedometer gear
Spicer ball joints (It still has the originals in there with 120,000 miles. I figured that still everything will be apart I may as well replace them.)

I also have a SwayLoc already ordered because if I'm throwing a bunch of money at the Jeep, what's another $620.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_H and Irun
It's time to budget for the move from 33s to 35s. This is my build list, and I'm happy to receive constructive feedback.

To recap, the Jeep is a 2001 4.0 with the Dana 30/Dana 44

33s Build List
Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 33x12.5x15
Revolution 4.10 gears
4" Currie Springs
Advanced Adapters SYE
Savvy Cable Shifter
Black Magic front pads with Centric rotors and discs
Black Magic rear shoes and drums
ZJ tie rod
OE sway bar with JKS disconnects

35s Build List
Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 35x12.5x15
Revolution 4.56 gears
Revolution Discovery F/R chromoly axle shafts
Vanco 15" BBK
Rockjock CurrectLync
Savvy 1.25" Body Lift
Savvy 1" motor mount lift
37 tooth speedometer gear
Spicer ball joints (It still has the originals in there with 120,000 miles. I figured that still everything will be apart I may as well replace them.)

I also have a SwayLoc already ordered because if I'm throwing a bunch of money at the Jeep, what's another $620.
No control arms?

Reactions: Serbonze
I was trying to only include things that were relevant to the change to 35s, but I can see how it may look like I didn’t have them for the 33s. Adjustable control arms and front and rear adjustable track bars are already installed. I edited the post to hopefully clarify.

Thanks for checking!

Reactions: Mike_H