2002 Wrangler TJ automatic vibrating during acceleration

Bad spider gears can cause this. Jack up one rear wheel and spin it. Should be smooth and quiet. Not likely but easy enough to check. And leave in park or in gear.

Here is a picture of my drive shaft. I think the Jeep is completely stock other than the tires and wheels that I put on.

View attachment 171967

Did your problem start after putting new tires?
You mentioned you pulled the rear drive shaft off and drove in 4wd hi and the problem went a way.
So the drive shaft or rear differential or tires are causing the problem. The issues didn't exist with the old tires right?
I can't tell if you have a possible lift from side photo.
I thought 31" tires on a stock TJ would rub. Can anyone chime in confirm my statement?

Bad spider gears can cause this. Jack up one rear wheel and spin it. Should be smooth and quiet. Not likely but easy enough to check. And leave in park or in gear.

i jacked up the right rear. It is in Park. The wheel will not spin. Should I put it in Netral?

Just looked, I have Teack-Lok
Then you may not be able to turn it by hand without a large amount of force. If the transmission or transfer case was in neutral, then both wheels should turn at the same rate.

The limited slip carriers can wear out with time, though they generally eventually end up effectively an open differential.

If you have time to kill, it may be worth opening up the differential cover and taking a look inside. The fluid is supposed to be changed every 12,000 miles per the owner's manual, so that would be a good time to change the fluid, if you haven't done so recently.

Reactions: onoffroad
I installed 1/2” spacers. Seems to have gotten a little better. Still feel it once in a while. I think that I will deal with it as it is. U-joints, transmission mount, spacers, removed rear drive shaft and no shaking during acceleration in 4H. Kinda running out of ideas unless it is a spider gear but it does not have a gear slipping sound.

I’m back! Problem not fixed. Brought it to a shop and he installed a rebuilt transfer case. Didn’t fix it. Summary:
Engine vibrates wildly when accelerating from stop (for a few seconds)
- new u joints
- rebuilt trak lok differential including clutches
- New transmission mount
- New engine mounts
- new upper and lower control arms.
- it DOES vibrate with rear axel off. I had said it didn’t, but found that it does.
- all stock except 31” gladiator tires and rims with spacers to allow rims to fit
- no lift
- mechanic wants to put in new trans. At this point I would do it if it fixes it.
- 2002 with a 32RH trans.
tired of throwing money and time without satisfaction.

I have read several posts. My 2003 TJ with an automatic 32RH transmission vibrates when I accelerate hard from a stop. No issues felt with a slow gradual start.
I have read many posts. The one describing the feeling/noise as a rumble strip best describes it. Their solution was u-joints on the rear drive shaft. I just replaced both of them and still hear/feel the vibration. It quickly goes away. Thought it was the transmission, so I put it in Drive with the break on hard and hit the gas. It didn’t slip.
What other part of the drive train during acceleration can cause this wild vibration/shake when accelerating from a stop? Again, it happens and goes away quickly.
Thanks, Steve
Reviving this thread. Just picked one up that is doing exactly what you're describing. 98 sport 4.0 3sp auto. Stock suspension...3" body lift! <—-that is coming off and going to a 2.5" suspension lift.
This one actually feels like the transfer case is jumping teeth in 2hi and 4hi but not 4 low. Does it with either drive shaft removed. Transmission shifts fine..slow going into reverse. I'm convinced that the transfer case is junk.

I replaced the transfer case (well I had it done). Didn’t fix it. With the hood open, you can see that the engine is shaking causing the vibration. Replaced engine mounts and transmission mount. Mechanic thinks it is the transmission. He can’t guarantee this. He was also sure it was the transfer case. $1800 later, it wasn’t. Trans is $2400 installed with a warranties Jasper 32RH trans. If I was positive it would fix it, it would pull the trigger.

Jerry, it only shakes under full load. Taking off from a complete stop, accelerating semi aggressively. Does it with or without rear drive shaft in.

InvisiBo,
Do you have any luck fixing this?
On mine, if you open the hood, you can see the engine shake when accelerating from a complete stop. New motor mounts didn’t help. I will do a new 32RH transmission at about $2,200 if it is the fix, but am tired of throwing money and time at it.

Hi, I am hoping I can revive this tread as it appears it just stopped without anyone finding or eluding to the source of any vibration. I have a low mile TJ Wrangler here in New Zealand and it does the exact same vibration as described here in this discussion. To be clear mine is from a standing start taking of normally, (light and hard acceleration) and I get what feels like a rear end vibration which goes away as the speed increases and the load going through the driveline gets less, at a cruising speed of 30-60 I have no vibration at all which tells me it is not driveshaft or tires. Anyhow I have replaced the UJ's and had driveshaft balanced, I then replaced the gearbox mount, I then replaced upper and lower arms, none of these changes have made any difference. I have also swapped tires and it is there with both sets balance, slightly worse with 33" tires for whatever reason but minimal. I am frustrated and do not want to go any further until I know what it is, I believe it has to be inside the trans, either a bad torque converter or a bad trans but to replace one here in New Zealand is 5k and I do not want to do this if it is not the trans. I guess it could also be the diff as it does also feel like the plates binding up on take off. I am lost and I am hoping someone here has found their issue and got rid of this annoying vibration. Any help appreciated. Cheers

Hi, I am hoping I can revive this tread as it appears it just stopped without anyone finding or eluding to the source of any vibration. I have a low mile TJ Wrangler here in New Zealand and it does the exact same vibration as described here in this discussion. To be clear mine is from a standing start taking of normally, (light and hard acceleration) and I get what feels like a rear end vibration which goes away as the speed increases and the load going through the driveline gets less, at a cruising speed of 30-60 I have no vibration at all which tells me it is not driveshaft or tires. Anyhow I have replaced the UJ's and had driveshaft balanced, I then replaced the gearbox mount, I then replaced upper and lower arms, none of these changes have made any difference. I have also swapped tires and it is there with both sets balance, slightly worse with 33" tires for whatever reason but minimal. I am frustrated and do not want to go any further until I know what it is, I believe it has to be inside the trans, either a bad torque converter or a bad trans but to replace one here in New Zealand is 5k and I do not want to do this if it is not the trans. I guess it could also be the diff as it does also feel like the plates binding up on take off. I am lost and I am hoping someone here has found their issue and got rid of this annoying vibration. Any help appreciated. Cheers