2004 LJ Camp and Crawl Build

Posthvman

Supporting Member
Nothing like a new ride! Picked up a fairly clean LJ this week and looking forward to digging my hands in and making it my own.

20230706_180538.jpg

Had 110200mi when I bought it. Frame and body are in great shape. The guy I bought it from had it for about 6 years and said he never even got it offroad. His loss! I told him I'll make up for the lost time. Has a Jasper transmission with about 8k mi on it. I went for the 42RLE over the AX15 as we mostly slow crawl and I didn't want to bother with a clutch. I love manual trans on the road, but not for what we do offroad.

20230705_173051.jpg

I drove about 2hrs to see it under the impression that it was stock, but found out when I got there it actually has about a 2" spacer lift front and back and is on 31s. The rear spacers and jounce stops are shot and I ordered replacements this morning just for safety reasons while I decide what direction I'm going with this.

20230705_172702.jpg

20230705_172646.jpg

Right now I'm leaning towards something like CodaMan's 2.5" spring and maybe 1-1.5" body lift. This is going to be the camping vehicle for my wife, 9 year old son and I to use to find fun places to explore. With that said, as much as I want to go like 6", hilines and 37s or something wild, that's not what this is going to be used for. I think around 2.5-3" and maybe going up to 33s is about the sweet spot for highway driving to some places around us to get muddy and hit trails to camp.

In addition to the replacement spacers, I ordered new tie rod and drag link ends and a stock track bar to replace the worn out steering components. Other than that, the thing seems to be in good shape. The steering damper has started leaking today, so that will get replaced when I pick up new shocks and springs.

20230707_165438.jpg

20230707_165420.jpg

20230705_172906.jpg

Now the GOOD news is, the body and frame look great.

20230708_125635.jpg

20230708_125628.jpg

20230708_125644.jpg

20230708_125700.jpg

Body only has a couple rough spots on each fender and one paint crack just in front of driver's door.

20230708_125901.jpg

20230708_125811.jpg

20230708_125821.jpg

Interior is in good shape, but needs a detail. That's today's mission.

20230708_130245.jpg

20230708_130326.jpg

20230708_130253.jpg

Oh, and Warn bumpers and a couple old KCs on the front.

20230708_125719.jpg

20230708_125854.jpg

Looking forward to learning about it and from all of you as I get familiar with what this ol thing has in store for me!

20230706_205409.jpg

Did some cleaning on Saturday and fitted the bikini top to try it out. Left the carpets out to clean them well and not opposed to the look and feel without them. Tunnel wasn't too hot in sandals and shorts. Might ride it like this for a while.

This looks like an aftermarket spare tire mount, any ideas on maker?

20230709_193338.jpg

20230709_193402.jpg

Found this unused connector in both front fender wells, hanging off the lighting wiring that is going to the aux and parking lights.

20230710_192305.jpg

20230710_192311.jpg

And discovered this shoddy looking weld on a skid plate mount covering the transmission pan. Is this skid stock?

20230710_192653.jpg

20230710_192643.jpg

I'm guessing this has something to do with the Jasper trans and maybe it having a deep sump pan?

Any info is much appreciated!

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I just looked at a better angle and there's at least 3/4" clearance from that skid to the pan, so that's out. Guessing stripped threads led to this "fix"?

I have the same spare mount but don't know what brand. I need to get rid of it for one that will let the tire touch the rear gate bumpers and spread out the load so the tailgate doesn't crack and fall apart

Reactions: Tob and Posthvman
Model: TJU - Perfect!

Model Year: ‘04 - Well Done!

Color: …….

🤔

Well, two outta three ain’t bad.

😉

Great find. Looking forward to following along.

I can live with 67%!

I would have loved to find one in Khaki Metallic, but I got a decent deal on this one and only a couple hours down the road. I'm actually kinda digging the white too. I've always tended towards dark vehicles, so this is a nice change of pace.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rickyd
I just looked at a better angle and there's at least 3/4" clearance from that skid to the pan, so that's out. Guessing stripped threads led to this "fix"?

It's likely your nutsert was spinning in the frame, and someone welded a nut to the frame instead of replacing the nutsert. Not the cleanest of fixes...

See here for proper repair of the nutsert.

Last edited:
Reactions: Posthvman
I've been eyeing the MORryde hinge for if/when I bump the tire size up.

The spare tire mount looks like one sold by quadratec. I don’t know the brand but I had bought one when I put my MORryde hinge kit on. The tire stuck too far out. I sold it and found a stock one which brought the tire in. I modified it buy cutting the top mounting flange off of it, then I welded a new flange below and an extension at the bottom. I was able to get the tire right up against the gate and higher. I didn’t use the extension brackets that came with the hinge kit they pushed the tire out also.

CB2D5122-093F-4890-99A5-E92B39567549.jpeg

Welcome, I just recently picked up 2006 LJ Rubicon with 112K on it. I am also looking at 2.5” suspension lift. It came with a 2” spacer lift.

Looks like the Rugged Ridge HD tire carrier, you’ll want to extend those snubbers with longer bolts and spacers so the tire makes contact with them

Here is my red neck engineering version of it, others have come up with much better options

1689052356831.jpeg

I have the same spare mount but don't know what brand. I need to get rid of it for one that will let the tire touch the rear gate bumpers and spread out the load so the tailgate doesn't crack and fall apart

If you don't want to use an OEM mount, Hyline makes one that has the same amount of standoff as the OEM.

https://www.hylineoffroad.com/jeep_parts/jeep_tj_and_yj_oversized_tire_mount
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/exogate-offset-brackets.66823/#post-1233451

Nothing like a new ride! Picked up a fairly clean LJ this week and looking forward to digging my hands in and making it my own.

View attachment 439506

Had 110200mi when I bought it. Frame and body are in great shape. The guy I bought it from had it for about 6 years and said he never even got it offroad. His loss! I told him I'll make up for the lost time. Has a Jasper transmission with about 8k mi on it. I went for the 42RLE over the AX15 as we mostly slow crawl and I didn't want to bother with a clutch. I love manual trans on the road, but not for what we do offroad.

View attachment 439483

I drove about 2hrs to see it under the impression that it was stock, but found out when I got there it actually has about a 2" spacer lift front and back and is on 31s. The rear spacers and jounce stops are shot and I ordered replacements this morning just for safety reasons while I decide what direction I'm going with this.

View attachment 439486

View attachment 439487

Right now I'm leaning towards something like CodaMan's 2.5" spring and maybe 1-1.5" body lift. This is going to be the camping vehicle for my wife, 9 year old son and I to use to find fun places to explore. With that said, as much as I want to go like 6", hilines and 37s or something wild, that's not what this is going to be used for. I think around 2.5-3" and maybe going up to 33s is about the sweet spot for highway driving to some places around us to get muddy and hit trails to camp.

In addition to the replacement spacers, I ordered new tie rod and drag link ends and a stock track bar to replace the worn out steering components. Other than that, the thing seems to be in good shape. The steering damper has started leaking today, so that will get replaced when I pick up new shocks and springs.

View attachment 439489

View attachment 439490

View attachment 439488

View attachment 439499

View attachment 439497

View attachment 439498

View attachment 439496

Body only has a couple rough spots on each fender and one paint crack just in front of driver's door.

View attachment 439500

View attachment 439501

View attachment 439502

View attachment 439503

View attachment 439504

View attachment 439505

View attachment 439510

View attachment 439511

Looking forward to learning about it and from all of you as I get familiar with what this ol thing has in store for me!

View attachment 439507

(y)

View attachment 439506

View attachment 439483

View attachment 439486

View attachment 439487

View attachment 439489

View attachment 439490

View attachment 439488

View attachment 439499

View attachment 439497

View attachment 439498

View attachment 439496

View attachment 439500

View attachment 439501

View attachment 439502

View attachment 439503

View attachment 439504

View attachment 439505

View attachment 439510

View attachment 439511

View attachment 439507

(y)

View attachment 439506

View attachment 439483

View attachment 439486

View attachment 439487

View attachment 439489

View attachment 439490

View attachment 439488

View attachment 439499

View attachment 439497

View attachment 439498

View attachment 439496

View attachment 439500

View attachment 439501

View attachment 439502

View attachment 439503

View attachment 439504

View attachment 439505

View attachment 439510

View attachment 439511

View attachment 439507

(y)

It's likely your nutsert was spinning in the frame, and someone welded a nut to the frame instead of replacing the nutsert. Not the cleanest of fixes...

See here for proper repair of the nutsert.

Good call here! I just saw yesterday while browsing the Black Magic Brakes website that they offer replacement nutserts so I'll check that tread out soon and try to get it fixed proper.

The spare tire mount looks like one sold by quadratec. I don’t know the brand but I had bought one when I put my MORryde hinge kit on. The tire stuck too far out. I sold it and found a stock one which brought the tire in. I modified it buy cutting the top mounting flange off of it, then I welded a new flange below and an extension at the bottom. I was able to get the tire right up against the gate and higher. I didn’t use the extension brackets that came with the hinge kit they pushed the tire out also.

View attachment 440445

Nice and tight, I like it!

Looks like the Rugged Ridge HD tire carrier, you’ll want to extend those snubbers with longer bolts and spacers so the tire makes contact with them

Here is my red neck engineering version of it, others have come up with much better options

View attachment 440448

Looks like that's the one. I definitely need to do something for more support. I don't wanna stress the poor door anymore than it has been already.

Started poring over this sticky while deciding what direction to take my lift. Upon reading the stock spring height I realized I may have 1" over springs in addition to the 2" spring spacers. My front springs measure 13" and my rear measure 9" while sitting on concrete unloaded. So I think maybe I'm actually at 3" of lift right now? I need to take some measurements when I get home from the tub to ground to see if there are some out there to compare to.

I had been leaning towards 2" of spring and 1.25" BL, but now I'm thinking I might just start with swapping the tired springs and spacers with some 3" springs, probably JKS.

Reactions: Danarch