2004 LJ Camp and Crawl Build

I can live with 67%!

I would have loved to find one in Khaki Metallic, but I got a decent deal on this one and only a couple hours down the road. I'm actually kinda digging the white too. I've always tended towards dark vehicles, so this is a nice change of pace.

I love the look of white with black armor

Reactions: Posthvman
I love the look of white with black armor

Yeah, I like that contrast too.

Oof, speaking of, armor is a rabbit hole I keep dipping my toe into but can't even give much thought to yet. Gotta sort out the suspension and tires first!

But I do wanna dump these big ol flares. Does anyone know of just like a fender trim kit to cover the holes? Something thin and low profile to go in place of removed flares? Cheap would be a bonus here, ha ha.

I'm not aware of any that simply cover the holes, but these OEM style replacements are much sleeker than the ones you're currently running.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013REXPW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Same as above without the little extensions behind/at the base of the front flares.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FAI9X4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I like those more than what it has now. I may go that way while I decide if I'm going to go flat fender, a look I do appreciate even if it isn't going to net me any clearance gains without chopping the hood and going hiline.

Reactions: DaveC
So I think I'm going to try to clear 33" tires, not sure yet on an AT or MT.

Current thinking is

JKS or BDS 3"

and either

Rancho RS55239/RS55241 (Listed as 2.5" over stock)
or
Rancho RS55255/RS55256 (Listed as 3.5" over stock)

Any thoughts on or experience with these components?

I had been leaning towards 2" of spring and 1.25" BL, but now I'm thinking I might just start with swapping the tired springs and spacers with some 3" springs, probably JKS.
If you're going with a 3" spring, just add the extra inch and go 4". This sets you up for larger tires later and opens up more shock options. FWIW, shock options that actually work well with the suspension are surprisingly limited for 2 - 3 inch spring lifts. Plus, you can skip the BL now and add it later, when needed. That also simplifies worrying about transfer case shifter linkage.

If you're going with a 3" spring, just add the extra inch and go 4". This sets you up for larger tires later and opens up more shock options. FWIW, shock options that actually work well with the suspension are surprisingly limited for 2 - 3 inch spring lifts. Plus, you can skip the BL now and add it later, when needed. That also simplifies worrying about transfer case shifter linkage.

Mostly leaning towards the 3" since I think that's what's on there now, 1" in springs and 2" in spring spacers and I don't really expect to go to 35" with all that it entails. But I could be convinced otherwise! Ha ha.

Coils are a whole new world for me, I'm so used to leaf s from the YJ years ago and most recently a string of squarebody Chevy and GMCs.

Don’t forget to regear after installing the new tires. You’re going to hate 3.73s and the 42rle. Might as well install lockers too when you regear.

Wouldn’t the 4” require a TC drop and MML? Or one or the other to get the DS at the right angles? I am leaning towards 2.5-3” (probably 3”). Seems like a nice spot overall. Then if I want I can make mod’s later for TT without any loss of to what I’ve done.

Don’t forget to regear after installing the new tires. You’re going to hate 3.73s and the 42rle. Might as well install lockers too when you regear.

That's the kind of slippery slope I'm nervous about! Once the diff gets opened up lockers will happen for sure.

It's handling the 31s like a champ, are 33s going to be that much different? That's part of what kept me looking at the 3" lift, a regear, SYE, DC, lockers just isn't in the budget right now. Hell, springs, shocks and tires hardly are!

Wouldn’t the 4” require a TC drop and MML? Or one or the other to get the DS at the right angles? I am leaning towards 2.5-3” (probably 3”). Seems like a nice spot overall. Then if I want I can make mod’s later for TT without any loss of to what I’ve done.

If I understand correctly, the TC drop or a DC and SYE would likely need to happen.

Reactions: Danarch
That's the kind of slippery slope I'm nervous about! Once the diff gets opened up lockers will happen for sure.

It's handling the 31s like a champ, are 33s going to be that much different? That's part of what kept me looking at the 3" lift, a regear, SYE, DC, lockers just isn't in the budget right now. Hell, springs, shocks and tires hardly are!

Yup that’s true. I’m a little different as I have the 6sp manual and 4.11. So overall the 3” looks party good to me for what I need. Like I said above can add a TT later if needed.

You know thinking about the drive home from picking it up, it was having some trouble with the bigger hills at highway speed. Maybe I am at the limits of the 3.73s. It's flat in town where I've been driving so I hadn't thought about it much. Clearly I need more time at the helm!

What size of tires are on it? Not sure if the TJ needs to be updated the same as a JK, but if the tires are larger it may be messing up the shift points.

What size of tires are on it? Not sure if the TJ needs to be updated the same as a JK, but if the tires are larger it may be messing up the shift points.

Its the high overdrive ratio in the 4 speed thats the problem. Can't put a bandaid on it like 5 and 8 speeds

Reactions: Posthvman
Its the high overdrive ratio in the 4 speed thats the problem. Can't put a bandaid on it like 5 and 8 speeds

Ah I gotcha. The factory must have known something was up, putting that overdrive cutout switch in there!

I think I'm still leaning towards a small lift and 31-33s. I'd rather keep it simple for now, if possible. But lockers are mucho enticing. And if I'm in there, it's a good time to regear anyway. Would 4.56 be a good choice for the time being and to keep my options open down the line?

Ah I gotcha. The factory must have known something was up, putting that overdrive cutout switch in there!

I think I'm still leaning towards a small lift and 31-33s. I'd rather keep it simple for now, if possible. But lockers are mucho enticing. And if I'm in there, it's a good time to regear anyway. Would 4.56 be a good choice for the time being and to keep my options open down the line?

5.13 for the 42rle

This build is an LJ, which far more forgiving with the driveshaft angle.