Greg's 05 LJ Build

Why did you have to notch the spring perches to replace the shocks? I don’t know that I’ve seen/heard of this before. Was it due solely to the diameter of the Ranchos? I have 4” lift with RE shocks and mine aren’t notched. I’d go in the garage and look but I’m out of town.

With my 4" lift, at full extension my shock would hit the spring perch and dent it. This is pretty common - there are a few threads on this forum talking about having to trim the perch. Another common workaround is to flip the shock so the body is on top but when I researched it for my Ranchos they didn't recommend it. If you have a lift, you should check that yours are inverted or else jack up a rear wheel (slowly) and check for clearance.

Reactions: 04 LJ
after I clicked on your thread and as it was loading I was telling myself "dont be silver, dont be silver!" I love my TJ and keep making mods but I'm afraid I will find a LJ that I cant pass up and have to start over. Would HAVE to be silver for me to do it though.

Nice Jeep!

Reactions: 04 LJ
With my 4" lift, at full extension my shock would hit the spring perch and dent it. This is pretty common - there are a few threads on this forum talking about having to trim the perch. Another common workaround is to flip the shock so the body is on top but when I researched it for my Ranchos they didn't recommend it. If you have a lift, you should check that yours are inverted or else jack up a rear wheel (slowly) and check for clearance.
Thanks, will definitely do. I just bought the Jeep last year and have not had a chance to wheel it yet. I want to say I remember mine being shaft up, cylinder down.

Front bumper notched and installed with the Anti-Rock!

I purchased a length of frame rail from the scrap yard and two small sections. The idea was to extend my front bumper out about 2 inches to make room for the winch and require less cutting on the bumper.

Then it was just a case of installing the AntiRock and trace out how much had to be cut.

I then created a wooden template and went to town with a burr bit and grinder to make a nice clean curve.

There is still enough metal left to make the toe hooks functional. If I hadn't extended the front bumper the notch would have extended to far forward leaving no supporting metal for the hook.

I am still figuring out the mods I need to do for the winch and then I'll need to get it into the powercoating shop.

Got the 8274 back from the polishing guy. He did an amazing job on it. I also called Warn's customer service and they sent me decals (for free) to match the ones from 1978! The non-aluminum parts (drum & brakes mostly) are going to be powder coated.

I have a new upper service kit, brake service kit, new bearings and bushings to do the rebuild. I also purchased a new motor (Warn's industrial line #70865) to replace the original which had worn out brushes. Apparently the new motor significantly ups the pulling capacity of this beast. One of the solenoids is dead so have a new contactor kit one the way which I may mount under the hood.

This is the mount I will be using. I'll need to do some trimming to make it fit but I think it will match the bumper nicely.

1554012248768.png

Got the 8274 back from the polishing guy. He did an amazing job on it. I also called Warn's customer service and they sent me decals (for free) to match the ones from 1978! The non-aluminum parts (drum & brakes mostly) are going to be powder coated.

I have a new upper service kit, brake service kit, new bearings and bushings to do the rebuild. I also purchased a new motor (Warn's industrial line #70865) to replace the original which had worn out brushes. Apparently the new motor significantly ups the pulling capacity of this beast. One of the solenoids is dead so have a new contactor kit one the way which I may mount under the hood.

View attachment 85468

This is the mount I will be using. I'll need to do some trimming to make it fit but I think it will match the bumper nicely.

View attachment 85470

View attachment 85469
That is one tall winch! On another note, Your bumper seems to sit low, especially those outer hoops. I would be concerned with approach/departure angle unless it’s just the angle the photo was taken at.

That is just the crappy angle of the photo I took. It has alot of clearance and will have more once the 35s go on.

I'm going to take the existing mount plate (made for horizontal winches) out of the bumper which should drop my winch about and inch and a half. But ya it is a beast. All the more reason for me to clean it up since it really will be bumper jewelry.

Got the old winch plate taken off the bumper. Here is what it is going to look like with the 8284 mount. I still need to do some final grinding and welding then off for a powder coat. I am really happy with how this came together.

ac5142a75d956ded27f0cf3bbd261820.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TJ Starting and JMT
So I finished the winch wiring. Probably a little overkill for what I need but it looks nice!

2/0 welding cable

Techflex heavy wall and adhesive heat shrink

SuperWinch contactor mounted under the hood. Still need to install some rubber terminal boots.

All connections done using Deutsch connectors.

Rear license plate wired up with the Savvy relocation bracket and Lite N’ Boltz.

Also 3D printed a plate to protect the fairlead from the thimble.

48785190e662db9f60584175fa579ba7.jpg

de77407f7b56afb5f1875fa808954075.jpg

c27559aafca77b689f7e1be96dab9395.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started working on my audio system now. I found a deal on Facebook for a DSP/Amp that was too good to pass up. It is way overkill for a Jeep! This thing is conservatively rated at 6x125 RMS and has a built in DSP that lets me set timing, frequency, slope, etc. from my laptop.

797D5955-67B5-4918-BF9A-B2084E7A0F86.jpg

Welded up a custom mount so I can put the amp under the dash.

IMG_0870.jpeg

Clarion M508 Marine head unit installed.

IMG_0873.jpeg

Installing some 6.5" Polk speakers in the overhead soundpods, 5.25" separates in the dash. Used the 3D printer to create some spacers and dash enclosures. I am not sure yet how to mount the tweeters but found some really cool aluminum a-pillar pods on Ebay which I might splurge on.

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0871.jpeg

s-l1600.jpg

Interested in where you’re going to mount the amp. I’m looking into a micro amp also and want to mount it somewhere behind the glovebox.

Interested in where you’re going to mount the amp. I’m looking into a micro amp also and want to mount it somewhere behind the glovebox.

My amp is too big to put behind the glovebox so I am bolting it to the steering column support. There used to be a company called Skinny Pedal that made something simular.

The centre of my custom mount will bolt thought an existing hole. Looking at it from the drivers seat with the lower trim removed...

IMG_0875.jpeg

From the underside...

IMG_0876.jpeg

I also discovered knukonceptz.com which have a full line of AV wiring, terminal blocks, battery terminals which I will be using.

Reactions: ranger101
LJGreg

Our jeeps a lot in common but mine is a TJ, but running all of the Currie stuff. I mount my York and ran installed an air filer mounted in the passenger side just behind the headlight. I also installed quick couplers in the front grill and in the rear drivers side near the rear roll bar mount. I later got rid of the filter and just drilled a hole in the side of the air box and use the engine filter for both purposes. I needed to free up that area for my On Board Shower

10_zps8ff2e017.JPG

11_zpsaaaabd7e.JPG

8_zps99582501.JPG

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg