Greg's 05 LJ Build

OP
OP
L

LJGreg

Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I am still toying with the idea of finding away to just have a hole cut in the bumper instead of notching it out completely. I want to find a way to to keep the strength of the bumper and tow hooks. My only idea right now is to buy a pair of sacrificial antirock arms (so the splines are correct), cut and lathe them so they look liked rounded collars, then weld them to the original arms.

But don’t worry Chris, I am a perfectionist so whatever I do it will look good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I am still toying with the idea of finding away to just have a hole cut in the bumper instead of notching it out completely. I want to find a way to to keep the strength of the bumper and tow hooks. My only idea right now is to buy a pair of sacrificial antirock arms (so the splines are correct), cut and lathe them so they look liked rounded collars, then weld them to the original arms.

But don’t worry Chris, I am a perfectionist so whatever I do it will look good!
I hope so! You're braver than I am. I was in such fear of cutting that thing due to the value of those bumpers in good condition. That's honestly the only reason I resisted putting an Antirock on. Still, done properly, I'm confident it could look 100% factory, like it came that way. You just have to do the cutting right and make sure to round the edges, sand the rough areas, and make it look nice and neat. Re-powder coat it when you're done, and you'll have a damn nice end result.

I had to limp the LJ out of the garage so I could put the hardtop back on my JK. Made for a nice side by side picture. I will be getting rid of the JK once my LJ build is complete.

View attachment 60507

I built a nice little system to swap out my hardtop. I have a HarborFreight hoist mounted on a Unistrut trolley that slides back and forth. I can then lift the top and slide it forward to store on a ceiling mount storage rack. I use a strap to grab the front and found these cool clips that connect to the rear glass hinge to give anchor points.

View attachment 60508
Neat n tidy setup , aawesome!!!
-olllllo-*