Slow 05 LJ Build

I
I’m a big fan of all new factory style body mounts and a M.O.R.E. 1” BL.
Was thinking M.O.R.E or still debating on the 1/2" Rokmen.. things always change in my head. For what I do I don't need a flat belly, and body lifts are easy and cheap enough that I can always change it out down the road.

Small update, recently got the ARP track bar bolt from @mrblaine put on and comfortably torqued it down to 55 ft. lbs. Took it for a highway spin to Chapel Hill and I have no more shakes in the steering wheel! I can drive my Jeep 70-75 now with no worries for the first time in years.

Some may have more insight and I'm always willing to learn, but what I believe to be the problem was my track bar bolt was never torqued correctly and the hole was wallowed out a bit, and I never went beyond 40ish ft. lbs. for fear that I'd break the bolt like many others before me. Can't remember where now, but recently I read where Blaine was explaining clamping forces and how a slightly widened hole will make no difference as far as death wobble as long as the bolt was torqued correctly. I believe that was the gist of it, correct me if I am wrong. But when I first lifted my Jeep and put on a used set of wheels and tires, I got bad death wobble at 45-50 mph. Bought a new set of tires and had them balanced.. no more death wobble but always had a slight shake in the steering wheel, even after getting new steel wheels a little while later. My thought process is that an incorrectly torqued track bar bolt was the main culprit, and I've always been right on the edge of death wobble at higher speeds. Unbalanced tires is what put it over the edge. Before, I thought that my wheels would just not balance out 100% correctly and cause the slight shake, but after replacing the bolt it drives smooth as butter so it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Reactions: Chris
Absolutely

If the track bar bolts are not torqued properly it can lead to all sorts of issues like this. Happened to me on my first TJ before I knew any better.

Glad you got it figured out (y)

It's a never-ending learning process!

Now, why did they put a class 10.9 bolt there over a 12.9 in the first place?

Been a little bit..

Biggest change I've made recently is paying off the Jeep and buying a Honda Accord, first highway trip I averaged 39.2 mpg driving with a very light foot 😁 Driving the Jeep is fun again now.

PXL_20210407_210353307.jpg

Reactions: Tldelaney