2005 LJR R2.8 build

Axis will do a delete I think, but you may just need to talk with them about your "off-road build". I was told you can simply unplug it too, but you'll get a light that comes on and Cummins will be able to see that you unplugged it. I wouldn't hate just unplugging it, because it's hard on engines, but I'm not too hard on this engine and I figure a little under 2 years of abuse wouldn't be terrible (kinda like a break-in period). I might add that these engines aren't as designed to have EGR like many US vehicles have integrated these systems and those highly integrated systems are nothing but trouble. I want to say we have an emissions issue once a week at work with only a handful of trucks.

The good thing with the Cummins EGR is that it looks like it's meant to be tossed into the dump. You can also buy the manifolds and housings for the ISF engines, because no one in their right mind would have EGR on a diesel, so no other country (maybe Australia or NZ may be the exceptions) has this CO2 and waste producing tech on it.

Btw there's a guy that's pulling his engine apart and going out for new internals to get more power from this little engine. I think he's going to try and stroke the engine as well (3.2L maybe?). It is a lined block and looks like a fairly good design. You will need a timing tool eventually when you do a timing chain/tensioner swap.

For the coolant hoses to the heater core, which hose goes to the front of the motor by the thermostat housing, top or bottom? On my 2003 the top hose mount is bigger then the lower mount.

image.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Also where did you route the little hose for the brake vacuum line, mine old one is just laying on the firewall and I have no memory of removing it from 7 years ago

I was thinking we could start a “lessons learned from Cummins 2.8L install thread.”

Get all those tips we had to figure out on our own In one thread.

Like install the oil sensor and other gadgets while motor is still in the crate.

Install clocking ring before engine leaves crate.

Those kinds of things.

Tips that we’ve picked up along the way.

I would, but I have insufficient relevance to post in the TJ resources page

Reactions: BugoutJeep
For the coolant hoses to the heater core, which hose goes to the front of the motor by the thermostat housing, top or bottom? On my 2003 the top hose mount is bigger then the lower mount.

View attachment 113401
I went top of heater core to thermostat housing. And I just shoved that hose on the fitting. It was very hard. I have a TJ manual and it showed routing the opposite of how my 4.0 was routed. My hoses and fittings on the 4.0 were different sizes, so I think the manual was incorrect.

Also where did you route the little hose for the brake vacuum line, mine old one is just laying on the firewall and I have no memory of removing it from 7 years ago
I teed into that molded line in the kit near the grid heater relay. For awhile I simply ran it so part of it looped as close to the firewall as possible and then just took a stab at cutting into it. I'll try to post a better pic tomorrow if I remember.

Put some rubbing alcohol in your hoses and fittings. Will slide into place much easier

See page 4 post 67 has pictures of what your needing I think.

I’ve already spliced the T-fitting into the hose for the vacuum pump. I’m just wondering where does the little tube go. My old one was just hanging on the firewall. Not connected to anything.

The joys of going back to projects from years ago

I’ve already spliced the T-fitting into the hose for the vacuum pump. I’m just wondering where does the little tube go. My old one was just hanging on the firewall. Not connected to anything.

The joys of going back to projects from years ago
Off the top of my head I think that vacuum line goes to the HVAC controls.

finally figured out my catch can problem i couldn’t figure out where the drain line goes.

I bought my Jeep in Germany. Where even the overflow flows into a container. I just couldn't figure out why the line was just hanging there.

So one line to the radiator the second just free hangs. And drains to the ground.

pictures in post #19 have what your looking for. yes there is a tensioner.

Had to have my 8 year old help slip the belt on. What’s the saying teach them to love Jeep and they’ll never have enough money for drugs or alcohol.

Now just wiring and should be able to fire this Jeep up

Last edited:
Reactions: BugoutJeep
So It’s been about 14 years since the last time I played with aircraft wiring.

I’m trying to wire up the fuel pump in my 03 Jeep. The new pump has two wire. and my harness has four wires. Black blue stripe. All black. Green. Blue with green strip.

So I’m not understanding the schematic here.

image.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
I simply had to test mine to find the wires. I checked resistance between all of them and with different levels of fuel in the tank. Yes I forgot about this until after I installed my tank.

I think it's like 270 ohms full and 30ish ohms empty or the opposite. It's late here so I'm a bit forgetful.

Have you installed your tank? I was given some advice by Axis to not only ditch the pump, but also the OEM screens.