2005 LJR R2.8 build

I am really wanting this as well but you would be hard pressed to recoup the money spent in milage savings..... just say'n..... all the same, this is on my future plans, probably in the spring.....
Unless something crazy happens with fuel pricing or SHTF, diesel is going to be a bad financial investment by itself. I think the economics only possibly work if you're going to do an engine swap anyway that's a different than OEM engine and then apples for apples, the mileage may add up if you really put on the miles, especially if you're towing or off-road a lot.

Looking at vs a new vehicle I think financially a swap looks better for the DIYer that finds this stuff exciting, especially if you want a Wrangler (I just won't buy a new vehicle with poor MPG and premium costs me more than diesel) and you're going to keep it for a long time. I think the Colorado I was looking at was like $45k and I already had the TJ and wasn't going to get rid of the TJ.

~$9k LJ
~$20k Engine Swap
~$1500 Trans Rebuild/Swap
~$3k Atlas (can an LJ do a doubler?)
~$3k Parts for Axle rebuild with lockers and stronger shafts
~$2k suspension update
~$2k MISC

Don't forget the Tax man on new vehicles and they force you to have insurance, which tends to be very expensive relative to an old Jeep. For insurance I buy the minimum that won't financially ruin me.

I assume you'd want around $15k for a down payment on a new vehicle, but I haven't purchased a car new before so you're pretty close to being able to do the swap anyway.

Any new built 4x4 diesel is gonna cost more and that list is probably stronger than any similar OEM, but resale isn't as good. Swaps are very scary for a buyer, so finding one swapped is the best way to get a great deal.

There are some smaller diesels hitting the lots, but I actually like the Cummins more than the baby max (just general specs like head and block material, never drove the Colorado and I never drove the Cummins before purchasing it). I don't know much about the other offerings. I think from a KISS standpoint I'd want a 4 cylinder turbo diesel over a V6 turbo diesel like the VM eco-diesels, but if you need more power and torque a V6 will do it, but it's not necessary in a 4k lb vehicle (not sure if Jeep even really offers this yet for a Wrangler). The inline 6 that I think GM is putting in the Silverado (maybe?) is very interesting, but I think the truck is too big and I'd rather just have a 3/4 ton 5.9 Cummins and those engines are built pretty well for a used $15k truck.

MPG will likely be better with the same mods for the custom setup. Labor is just gonna have to be for the experience/fun and there's nothing else in the US like it, especially ones that are relatively legal.

Ergonomics will be worse for the custom setup, but the custom setup is pretty simple as far as repairs go and IMO noise is the down side to the older Jeeps vs newer vehicles. But doors off/top down, anything is very loud.

That's just kinda quick off the top of my head for a comparison. AC kinda complicates the Jeep build stuff. With the doors off, I find the Jeep to be comfortable for this mild summer. I feel like AC makes it harder to work outside during the summer heat anyway, but I certainly understand having it and will likely fix the AC in my truck one day.

Reactions: AussieNick
Now, I know it would be a good idea to do so, but if you diesel swap with the 2.8. do you "have to" do a super 35 kit?
30spline front & rear?
As I was planning on doing axle shafts and diffs next summer anyways. Just curious if it's necessary for the swap.

I haven't done the super 35 kit yet, but I think it's more from running 33s than the engine. I want a locker too, so that's even more of a reason.

The only thing I'd really worry about besides your tire size for the axles would be Jeep transmissions. If you're flooring it all the time or you tune the R2.8 for more power/torque, I think you're going to reduce the transmission life.

Sorry I’ve been away from the forum for a while. Axis finally sent the new fan and fitting for the AC I’ve been waiting on. I also had him send an egr delete as I highly doubt the fan is going to do much. I’m pretty sure the egr has something to do with my over heating. On trucks an egr delete decreases temps about 15 degrees ( at least on the one my brother did ) so really hoping this fixes the issue.. I’m leaving for Texas next week so unfortunately won’t get the parts installed for a while... still running great besides the temps. Average 27 mpg on 35s

Looks Awesome!!!!! How are the instructions that come with the AXIS kit? Do they give any guidance on what wires to delete out of your harness?

No. There is no instructions.

I equate it to putting together a 2500 piece puzzle. With out knowing what the picture looks like

Last edited:
image.jpg

That’s your temp sensor port if your keeping your factory temp gauge

These pictures are so much more help. Now to install the damn oil sensor I missed. Guess the fender is coming back off
Be careful with the oil sensor. I messed up on mine and couldn't get to it well and then saw it leak when I started up the engine the first time, then just grabbed a wrench and tightened it a bit and could tell it stripped the AL threads out. Use some good pipe dope and be very careful with the torque. I don't work with AL much so I tend to use more torque than needed, but that was a good lesson.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I have a slight leak on one of the top line at the oil cooler that started to leak and I can't get that one tighter. One of these days I'll remove my inner fender and get some dope on that line and tighten it back up. I'm afraid to put much torque on that fitting after my last fiasco. I'm thinking in a couple years I'll flush my coolant and oil and pull that fender, maybe even install a flat fender and then fix it. Right now it's not enough to make a spot in my garage, but it does hit my diff and the oil level is fine.

I bought a new filler neck from Rock auto for a 96 dodge 2500 diesel. I figured if I ever used a diesel pump that has the high volume I didn’t want to be restricted by the narrow tube from the TJ. Obviously I had to trim it a little bit same bend in the pipe so it fits nicely
BB109FE3-5449-49DC-859B-C8B7223BB2A4.jpeg

Last edited:
The gas only restriction thing is plastic and breaks easy enough with a chisel and hammer. I posted some pictures of that but good to know that a neck from a 96 will work as well.

All the vent lines should hook back up to the original locations. You still want the tank to breath.. yes the elbow is installed for a return.

Hmm. Instead of saving for a down payment on another house, maybe I should just diesel swap my tj xD

it's really hard to argue with 25 plus miles a gallon on a vehicle I plan on driving around the country. It would ultimately save me a lot of money
Really, would it? You could drive cross country twice and it would only save you $1200 in gas. That's two round trips cross country and you've saved less than the price of what, tires?