2005 TJ X

John Beard

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 2005 Wrangler X with a few modifications and I am seriously considering a LS 6.2 engine swap. In the coming months I want to replace the Dana 44s front and rear, (yes, I installed D44s front and rear running 4.88 and Yukon Zip Lockers on 285 x 70 R17) with Rock Jock 60s and stretch the TJ.

My builder, Larry Nickell of Vegas 4x4 just put a 6.2 in his LJ and the Jeep is no longer a HP wimp. It is one of those expensive mods that a guy dreams about, so I am selling my Corvette to finance the swap. With any luck I could be in the shop within a couple of weeks.

Save your money. Wait 6 months. Your builder will be bored with his LJ project and want to move on to the next big dream. Builders/fabricators do that a lot. You can buy it from him. Win/win. You help him get more project cash, you get an LJ, and a 6.2 will allready be in it. :)

I'm going to agree with Allen on this. My money says that if he is truly a builder he will be tired of it in 6 months and want to sell it for a new project. Might want to hold off and wait!

Sounds like a cool build though. Get some pictures of under the hood next time you have a chance.

Larry is not going to sell his LJ. At this moment he has stripped it down...his LJ is his baby. Larry Nickell of Vegas 4x4 is a professional driver for Yukon Gear and Axle, so he is more than a mere builder...he is in fact the quintessential off roader...IMO.

I am rethinking the whole LS engine swap...here's my top three reasons why:
1. Cost
2. Cost
3. Cost

To complete the build using top end components I will be into my 2005 Jeep Wrangler X well over 50k (considering what I have invested to date). I am 62 years old, and anticipate I am good for another 8-10 years God willing. Besides SWMBO has issued numerous challenges to my plans.

Reactions: Chris
You're coming to your senses John. It will cost so friggin much to swap in an LS it simply won't be worth it unless you have money to blow.

This is why I spent $2500 for a supercharger and called it a day.

Engine swaps are only affordable when you have motor sitting in a wreck in your backyard. The current trend of buying a crate engine takes all the fun out of recycling an older motor.

My revised plan included a salvage yard engine and transmission out of a late model Chevy truck...but alas the wiring harness is the financial burden. $2,500.00 for motor and transmission, $10,000.00 for the new wiring harness, loom, and computer(s), $2,000.00 labor to do the engine swap, and another $2,500.00 for an Atlas Transfer Case...and the engine swap alone is close to $20,000.00 to $25,000.00. Then I have to swap out my Dana 44s that I installed a mere 18 months ago when I swapped them out for the Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear with Rock Jock 60s, $7,300.00 front and $4,500.00 rear. The build would be phenomenal, and too darn expensive.

My revised plan included a salvage yard engine and transmission out of a late model Chevy truck...but alas the wiring harness is the financial burden. $2,500.00 for motor and transmission, $10,000.00 for the new wiring harness, loom, and computer(s), $2,000.00 labor to do the engine swap, and another $2,500.00 for an Atlas Transfer Case...and the engine swap alone is close to $20,000.00 to $25,000.00. Then I have to swap out my Dana 44s that I installed a mere 18 months ago when I swapped them out for the Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear with Rock Jock 60s, $7,300.00 front and $4,500.00 rear. The build would be phenomenal, and too darn expensive.

I agree. I've been down this path before and once you start realizing how much money you're throwing at your rig you really start to think twice.

Things were so much easier with a carburetor.

Pshhhhh... Carburetors are so damn finicky though. Fuel injection was a heaven send. The problem is that it just got more and more advanced from there with is both a blessing and a curse.

Reactions: Stinger
Okay, so I've spent several days going over my Jeep's build, and I am just going to finish what I started 2-years ago, and build a bitchin, well capable machine. Since my drive train is complete, I am going to do the body armor next, parts total $3,929.00.

My shopping list:
Vanco 16" Big Brake Kit
Metalcloak fenders
Savvy Corner Armor
Savvy Rock Rails (I'll soon have a set of Poison Spyder Ricochet Rockers for sale)
Savvy Tub Sliders
Savvy Rear Bumper with 2" receiver.

:)

Okay, so I've spent several days going over my Jeep's build, and I am just going to finish what I started 2-years ago, and build a bitchin, well capable machine. Since my drive train is complete, I am going to do the body armor next, parts total $3,929.00.

My shopping list:
Vanco 16" Big Brake Kit
Metalcloak fenders
Savvy Corner Armor
Savvy Rock Rails (I'll soon have a set of Poison Spyder Ricochet Rockers for sale)
Savvy Tub Sliders
Savvy Rear Bumper with 2" receiver.

:)

I think that's a great idea. It's so hard (especially for me) to not get completely carried away when building my Jeep. I have to start asking myself if spending X amount of dollars is actually worth it in the end.

I think that's a great idea. It's so hard (especially for me) to not get completely carried away when building my Jeep. I have to start asking myself if spending X amount of dollars is actually worth it in the end.

At my age there is no payoff in terms of enjoyment. I'll age out before the Jeep hits its stride. I keep hoping that a lottery ticket will blow and land in my pocket (I seldom play).

At my age there is no payoff in terms of enjoyment. I'll age out before the Jeep hits its stride. I keep hoping that a lottery ticket will blow and land in my pocket (I seldom play).

I keep hoping for that as well... Don't we all!

I did a few modifications this week... Modified my front bumper, and did a few more things too. photos to follow this afternoon.
20160127_092138_resized.jpg

I am 67 and plan to be wheeling for a long time. Still working on my LJ, with the FSJ Gladiator waiting for rebuild. Don't let age get in your way or it will!:rolleyes: