2005 TJ X

Yes, it's a hybrid build by my builder Larry Nickell of Vegas 4x4. Savvy Body Armor, Savvy Rub Rail, Savvy Rock Sliders, Metalcloak Overline Fenders, modified Rock Hard 4x4 Bumpers, and Trail Gear Creeper Bead Lock Wheels.
457.jpeg

Reactions: Zackz1997
I am now having to fix a suspension problem. My rear sags about 2" when fully loaded with my gear, I have a lot of gear. When completely empty the rear is lower than the front by a full 1". I asked my builder the question and his response was to contact Savvy. I currently have a 4" Savvy Lift on my Jeep. Savvy's response was to install LJ rear springs. I also tow an off road trailer on occasion.

I was hoping that Mr Blaine would comment on this.

I am now having to fix a suspension problem. My rear sags about 2" when fully loaded with my gear, I have a lot of gear. When completely empty the rear is lower than the front by a full 1". I asked my builder the question and his response was to contact Savvy. I currently have a 4" Savvy Lift on my Jeep. Savvy's response was to install LJ rear springs. I also tow an off road trailer on occasion.

I was hoping that Mr Blaine would comment on this.
I'm not going to get in the middle of this one. If your builder isn't smart enough to fix your very simple problem without throwing it in someone else's lap, you need another builder.

If you brought it to me, the first question I ask is how much gear you are going to be carrying, how often you carry that amount of gear, and if you mind it sitting higher when it is not loaded. Springs are built to a particular spring rate. X number of pounds compresses the spring 1". If you want a particular ride height, you need to know how much load will be on the springs in order to predict it. If you exceed that load, it will sit lower, if you wind up less than that load, it will sit higher as you can already tell.

It is up to the builder to work with the customer to dial that in for both best and worst case scenarios and order the parts accordingly.

I also keep each of the rear springs that Currie makes on hand so if I wind up with something different than the customer and I discussed, I can swap in a different set to see if I can achieve the customer's goal. What I don't ever do unless it is prearranged ahead of time with the vendor is send the customer to them to solve a problem that I should be able to figure out for myself to meet the customer's needs.

I also request that you bring the rig to me with the gear in it that it will be carrying.

I'm not going to get in the middle of this one. If your builder isn't smart enough to fix your very simple problem without throwing it in someone else's lap, you need another builder.

If you brought it to me, the first question I ask is how much gear you are going to be carrying, how often you carry that amount of gear, and if you mind it sitting higher when it is not loaded. Springs are built to a particular spring rate. X number of pounds compresses the spring 1". If you want a particular ride height, you need to know how much load will be on the springs in order to predict it. If you exceed that load, it will sit lower, if you wind up less than that load, it will sit higher as you can already tell.

It is up to the builder to work with the customer to dial that in for both best and worst case scenarios and order the parts accordingly.

I also keep each of the rear springs that Currie makes on hand so if I wind up with something different than the customer and I discussed, I can swap in a different set to see if I can achieve the customer's goal. What I don't ever do unless it is prearranged ahead of time with the vendor is send the customer to them to solve a problem that I should be able to figure out for myself to meet the customer's needs.

I also request that you bring the rig to me with the gear in it that it will be carrying.

Thank you for the response, you answered my question. I did all that you would have me do. I will have to go to the weigh station to get an empty weight to compare to my fully loaded weight. My fully loaded weight is 4,900# without me in the seat. Empty I have to find out.

I might add, Mr Blaine, that you have vastly more knowledge than even most experienced builders. And with the overall quality of my build, well I am pretty happy with my guy.

Reactions: Chris
260lbs is a bit of weight. If it was me, I would put those LJ springs in the rear.

I am picking up another set of Savvy springs today, for an LJ to offset the load I carry in the back of my TJ. I carry 260# +/- of gear. Hopefully I'll have some good luck with the install and be up and running again by the weekend. I haven't done a spring swap before so it will be interesting.

To complete the build using top end components I will be into my 2005 Jeep Wrangler X well over 50k (considering what I have invested to date).

Thanks for posting that. My son in law tells me I was crazy to restore the 97 I found and now I don't feel so bad about the $18,000 ($7600 purchase and $8,500 and counting in repairs) I spent. I don't see a lift in my future as I don't need one but soon as I finish the front drive shaft repair and bedrug I see a winch coming into play.

I got the LJ springs installed and my Jeep finally has the proper Jeep stance (IMO). The rear end lifted up a solid 2.5" to 3" with all of my trail gear.

Thanks for posting that. My son in law tells me I was crazy to restore the 97 I found and now I don't feel so bad about the $18,000 ($7600 purchase and $8,500 and counting in repairs) I spent. I don't see a lift in my future as I don't need one but soon as I finish the front drive shaft repair and bedrug I see a winch coming into play.

Of course it is worth it. My Jeep is the most fun I have had with a vehicle, with the exception of dirt bike riding, but those days are long gone.

No more dirt bike riding?

I sold my last dirt bike in 2014, sold my Harley in 2015. When you begin to over think maneuvers it is time to hang up the keys. As far a dirt bike riding...my lower back is the scoundrel that refuses to let me to get limber enough to ride. So I found Jeeps, and all is good.

I sold my last dirt bike in 2014, sold my Harley in 2015. When you begin to over think maneuvers it is time to hang up the keys. As far a dirt bike riding...my lower back is the scoundrel that refuses to let me to get limber enough to ride. So I found Jeeps, and all is good.

I hear ya. My lower back kills me as well, and I'm only 33.