2005 with P0344 issue

I’m going to cut out the section of wire, splice, crimp and heat shrink.

Is it possible that this is the only issue with my Jeep? I re connected everything yesterday (no repair to the wire) landed the battery leads and jeep cranked just fine without any codes.

Is there anyway to verify the fix, other then drive and hope for the best?

Jeep Update:

I spliced, heat shrunk and coated the damaged wire, re-routed the new wire loom away from engine block, replaced spark plugs, tightened crank shaft sensor (found it loose).

Results:

280 miles with no check engine light. I went 680 miles after replacing the ODPA so I'm not claiming success yet but its a start.

Hey all

Wanted to bump this up again. I have a 05 LJ that has the p0344. It happens after a couple days, randomly. It went away on its own once. Twice I’ve disconnected the battery and it drives 100% fine between. When it’s on I get problems over 2500rpm.
I’ve looked at the wiring, no shorts I can see. I cleaned the connections with connection cleaner. It’s still off but only been a day.

Can y’all suggest a systematic way to approach it as opposed to “replace it all”. Should I install a crown CPS, that plus a new OPDA?, or do the triple OPDA, CPS, and crank sensor all at the same time?

Ultimately if it comes back on i will take to a mechanic to help with the timing after replacement.

687C6158-4352-4942-BD6F-7D760B36DEBE.jpeg

@muletownlj

I ended up having to replace the timing chain and OPDA. It cost me 1429.98 for parts and labor. It took the shop 4.6 hours.

It sucked to spend that much, but it fixed the issue and it runs much better now.

Hey all

Wanted to bump this up again. I have a 05 LJ that has the p0344. It happens after a couple days, randomly. It went away on its own once. Twice I’ve disconnected the battery and it drives 100% fine between. When it’s on I get problems over 2500rpm.
I’ve looked at the wiring, no shorts I can see. I cleaned the connections with connection cleaner. It’s still off but only been a day.

Can y’all suggest a systematic way to approach it as opposed to “replace it all”. Should I install a crown CPS, that plus a new OPDA?, or do the triple OPDA, CPS, and crank sensor all at the same time?

Ultimately if it comes back on i will take to a mechanic to help with the timing after replacement.

View attachment 406567
It can be either the crank or cam signal dropping. No good way to know which one without a scope. Make sure both are clean and the bolts are tight. If you don’t have access to a proper diagnostic tool you’ll probably have to shotgun it. Start with the cam sensor as already suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Andersen
Ok I’ve got a crown CPS and a NAPA Echlin. Between the two what would y’all pick to install?

Also taking it to have the timing checked and the OPDA changed to a crown unit. It’s never been done on my jeep.

The OPDA is getting changed to a new crown now. I have a few different sensors as backups (NAPA, crown and one I sourced from a part out car that I think is OEM). Do I need to do a sync every time I change it?