2006 Rubicon anti-lift

Did you stuff just one tire? That's when it happens. I've seen a few threads with photos that show it. Mine was too far from stock to personally verify, but my measuring shows that it will happen.

I don't think it's a huge problem with the stock size tires. A little rub is fine since it should only happen momentarily at slow speeds.

Did you mean one tire at a time or both at the same time? I stuffed one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stuffed both tires.

Both at once will clear on a stock/near stock setup. This is when the tires will start to eat sheet metal without enough bump stop.
20190330_122340-01-01.jpeg

Reactions: BendLarry
Actually, the best way to be for sure is to do both. Stuff the axle on both sides to the cups, then turn wheel lock to lock. Repeat with one side stuffed, then the other, turn lock to lock, check for clearance.

Reactions: billiebob and jjvw
Actually, the best way to be for sure is to do both. Stuff the axle on both sides to the cups, then turn wheel lock to lock. Repeat with one side stuffed, then the other, turn lock to lock, check for clearance.

That makes sense, now you tell me lol. I think the only way to resolve this is for us to hit some trails and see if some rubber is trimmed.

That makes sense, now you tell me lol. I think the only way to resolve this is for us to hit some trails and see if some rubber is trimmed.

Agreed! It's been too long since my rig has seen a real trail!

If yours clears then whatever you put together is doing about what it should.

Mine will eventually go through another round of refinements where I push the boundaries further and purposely allow certain areas to rub a bit.

I could just always make sure I never turn my wheel away from straight at full stuff. That would add an additional technical challenge to wheeling [emoji38]

Your OCD won't allow it! Who do you think you're trying to fool brah? I know better, lol!

If yours clears then whatever you put together is doing about what it should.

Mine will eventually go through another round of refinements where I push the boundaries further and purposely allow certain areas to rub a bit.

Not to open up a can of worms but would a limit strap used to control full droop possibility be an aid to help with this issue? Just spit balling here.

Not to open up a can of worms but would a limit strap used to control full droop possibility be an aid to help with this issue? Just spit balling here.

Yes, in that the restricted droop on one side would reduce how much the opposite rising tire will pivot around the bump stop.

I personally would rather add bump, then add some ride height or move the body away than restrict the suspension in that way for that reason.

But I doubt this is a problem really worth solving, if it even exists. If there is doubt, cycle the axle again without jounces and the sway bar.

Yes, in that the restricted droop on one side would reduce how much the opposite rising tire will pivot around the bump stop.

I personally would rather add bump, then add some ride height or move the body away than restrict the suspension in that way for that reason.

But I doubt this is a problem really worth solving, if it even exists. If there is doubt, cycle the axle again without jounces and the sway bar.

In your experience how much of a rubbing issue can be affected by tire pressure . Is the puked out sidewall the first thing to rub?

In your experience how much of a rubbing issue can be affected by tire pressure . Is the puked out sidewall the first thing to rub?

That's a good point. I've never cycled the axles with the tires with anything other than street pressure.

This is what I know first hand. This tire was worn down to about 30". The bumps were stock. The sway bar was disconnected. The tire was fully stuffed. The body was raised 1".
IMG_20140125_123705.jpg

New 31" tires without a body lift would have rubbed a little bit. I don't know how much except that Jeep was really pushing the stock platform on the Rubicon.

My Jeep came to me with 32" tires, but otherwise stock. The fender lips were bent. You can see the distorted metal after I bent them back. I doubt that the sway bar had ever been unbolted before I got my hands on it.

Both at once will clear on a stock/near stock setup. This is when the tires will start to eat sheet metal without enough bump stop.
View attachment 92958

In this picture the high side tire is doing nothing for you but if it’s full droop is causing the stuffed tire to rub it seems to me that you would have been better off with a limit strap to stop the rub. Obviously if there had been a rock under that high side tire you would want to reach it. Some more stuff to ponder.

In this picture the high side tire is doing nothing for you but if it’s full droop is causing the stuffed tire to rub it seems to me that you would have been better off with a limit strap to stop the rub. Obviously if there had been a rock under that high side tire you would want to reach it. Some more stuff to ponder.

Mine doesn't rub. As it sits today, there is still room to go up a little more. But that requires cutting and welding shock mounts. That is all part of the future refinements. Very little on mine is stock, but it is fitted together fairly well.

Mine doesn't rub. As it sits today, there is still room to go up a little more. But that requires cutting and welding shock mounts. That is all part of the future refinements. Very little on mine is stock, but it is fitted together fairly well.

Indulge me a little. Let’s say that in that picture you did rub, then what’s your take on my earlier comment?

Indulge me a little. Let’s say that in that picture you did rub, then what’s your take on my earlier comment?

Given my setup and how I built the thing, I still wouldn't solve that particular problem with a limit strap. The fix would involve bump stops, shock travels, shock mounts and maybe wheel back spacing and changes to the ride height. Or I would take the easy way out and do a high line. ;)

The before: 2006 Rubicon 4.0 with a 5 inch Rubicon Express lift with 33 load range E's 26000 miles.

View attachment 92503

The after: Same rig with stock suspension and 31 inch X 15 load range C Micky Thompson A/T tires

View attachment 92504

A big shout out to @bobthetj03 Jim helped me through the process. It was great getting to meet you Jim and Cindy a few weeks ago!
View attachment 92505
I could not be happier with the changes to this Jeep! It was great on the Moab trails with the lift and it will still be great after the lift. My butt is 7 inches closer to the ground and I only lost 2 inches of ground clearance.
This is how a TJ should be set up IMHO. It cost me a little less than $2K to make this change (including tires and wheels) after I sold everything that I took off. I got $250.00 for the used Rubicon Express take off parts as an example. I guess I'm not the only other person who doesn't think a lift kit has to have a Savvy or Currie sticker on it to work great!
Absolutely !!!

Thank you for having the balls to say it.

After 30 years of lifts I returned my Rubi to 100% stock also. I run 33s with a Highline which gives more articulation clearance than a 4" lift. Many TJs look like caricatures. Jeep really got it correct with the Rubi.

I see there are still those who cannot hold their tongue when they see something they would never do.... for whatever the reason. I am much more comfortable at the stock height too.

DSC_0170.jpeg

Absolutely !!!

Thank you for having the balls to say it.

After 30 years of lifts I returned my Rubi to 100% stock also. I run 33s with a Highline which gives more articulation clearance than a 4" lift. Many TJs look like caricatures. Jeep really got it correct with the Rubi.

I see there are still those who cannot hold their tongue when they see something they would never do.... for whatever the reason. I am much more comfortable at the stock height too.

View attachment 92968

Isn’t it kinda crazy that this topic would even be controversial?

• Sad
Reactions: billiebob