32RH transmission whine on 2001 TJ

Kyle01TJ

Hello, if anyone could please help me. I have a 2001 Jeep tj with a 32rh transmission and it will whine when it idles in park. Whenever it is shifted into gear the whine stops. If I shift back into park about 45 seconds later the whine comes back. thank you! Below is a video of the sound

When is the last time you checked the level and condition of the transmission fluid? If you have checked it, what procedure did you use for checking it?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'd start by checking its ATF level. Start the engine, set the parking brake, then shift into Neutral. Check its ATF level while the engine is running with the transmission in Neutral with the transmission's dipstick that comes out from the transmission underneath the passenger side of the firewall.

If it's low, bring it up to the top Full line with ATF+4. No other type of ATF is correct.

Checking your 32RH transmission's ATF level any other way will result in the dipstick erroneously showing the level is higher than it really is.

I just changed the transmission pan filter because I was reading that’s it could possibly be plugged making a whine. Before I changed it I always had checked it properly in neutral trans fluid level was always at proper level . After changing the trans filter the whine is still there. I also used the proper mopar fluid

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
How loud is it? A soft whine is not uncommon in a 32RH, but if it's loud that's likely to require a transmission rebuild. It's not coming from the valve body which is an easy repair or replacement. If it's not loud I'd ignore it.

By the way, any ATF+4 is fine for your 32RH, you don't have to run the Mopar ATF+4.

It’s loud enough to be heard inside the vehicle. It’s shifts fine no other problems besides the whine. I’m just worried it could be a possible pump? I have seen that the pump doesn’t run in park not for sure on that though? Or maybe a possible torque converter problem?

That's true, the pump does not run in Park which is why the transmission needs to be in Neutral for ATF level checking. :)