32RH vent relocation now leaking fluid

Vermontlarryjeeptj

So I have a 1998 jeep tj 4.0 with 32RH i relocated the vent when i rebuilt the transmission. I put it on the pump rib. Now when I start the jeep it pukes transmission fluid out of the dipstick tube. I shut it off and restart and it's fine. It doesn't do it all the time and only does it from a cold start. Pukes out about a quarter of a quart. Has anyone had this issue? Not sure if it's vent related or something I did when i rebuilt it. Mind you everything shifts and drives completely fine. No slippage no issue shifting nothing.

Would love to see exactly where you put the breather hole, but I have a theory on this particular problem. I theorize that the people who have their trans puke up fluid after relocating the breather have inadvertently put a low spot on the breather tube. Conditions are right and fluid starts to go up the tube. Then it tries to come back down but it settles in the low spot. Then pressure builds up in the trans and the hot air or whatever is enough to push the fluid in the low spot up out the top of the breather.

Mine puked once after I moved the breather. I'm not convinced I wasn't overfilled, but I do know that there was a low spot in the hose and it hasn't puked since I corrected that. With the low spot, I could hear it gurgle out the breather tube when I would add fluid. Haven't had that happen since either, which supports my whole theory.

Did you do the relocation yourself?

OP said fluid is puking from dipstick tube. I would check to make sure there is no blockage in the breather.

dang, I fail at reading comprehension. But I agree with your recommendation. If the breather tube can't breathe, the pressure is going to be vented somewhere. Dipstick is the next most likely (and least harmful) place.