32's and the 3.07 rear diff

Wow... What if we where to go 33" in the future? 35" would be to large for the 2.5 correct? I just bought the jeep last week and who know where one will go in the future... Its a sickness.

You could run 33s on 4.88 or 5.13, 35s would definitely be too big. But then again it comes down to preference and what people think is liveable. Me I hated how much I had to stay on the bite point to get moving into first with my 4 cylinder on 31s and 4.10s. As for hills forget about it 5th was gone. I couldn't imagine 4.56 being much of a difference so to me 4.88 would be the way. What did the guy do who I sold it to? He immediately slapped on 35s with no supporting mods just cutting the fenders. So there's obviously some real hillbillies out there.

Reactions: Tob
LOL... 5:13 seem to be the answer... I guess... but what will that run like on the 32's until we went to 33's at some point will it be a problem? I just bought them because they were new take offs and I got them for 650.00 Its a real clean little jeep I will post some pics when I can

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
LOL... 5:13 seem to be the answer... I guess... but what will that run like on the 32's until we went to 33's at some point will it be a problem? I just bought them because they were new take offs and I got them for 650.00 Its a real clean little jeep I will post some pics when I can
It looks almost a clean as yours

The way I see it is you have flexibility to a degree it's a 4 popper so it's never going to be a powerhouse no matter what you do. 5.13 would be a bit deep for 32s but that's not a problem really many would say it's better to be overgeared than under. All it means is your gears are lower and shift points sooner until you get 33s. You would need to be in 5th instead of 4th at a sooner speed etc. The highway speed at which you are at your optimal rpm will be lower.

It looks almost a clean as yours

I hope you don't mean my jeeps. They are N.Y. buckets they only look clean from 10 feet away! 🤫
🤫 I'm sure in Oklahoma you have some clean ones.

Interesting the different perspectives on this. I heard something like "5th gear with 3.07 gears is useless with 30" + tires" earlier in this thread. I've been driving just such a TJ (31" tires) for 21 years. I shift to 5th around 60mph. It cruises the highway around 70mph at 2100 rpms. Seems far from useless. Other than my few forays into very light rock crawling and that one time towing way-too-much weight in my trailer (or towing around the max rated load in the mountains), I've never wanted for lower gears. Just fine for daily driver IMO. My pinion gear did decide that was too much towing - but with 150k miles, didn't seem like something I could complain about.

My new-to-me LJ has 3.73 gears. Between that and the lower ratios in the 6-speed, I find 1st gear nearly useless. I'm ready to upshift before I get to the end of my average-length driveway. I guess I just need to step up from the 32s :)

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I'll be adding 2.5" lift and 32" tires to my 05 TJ X manual this weekend. It has the dreaded 3.07 gears and I'm budgeting for 4.56 gears most rikki tik. I went with the 32's since they were C-rated 265 75R16 and my Jeep has 16" Rubicon that I wasn't ready to change out of.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I'll be adding 2.5" lift and 32" tires to my 05 TJ X manual this weekend. It has the dreaded 3.07 gears and I'm budgeting for 4.56 gears most rikki tik. I went with the 32's since they were C-rated 265 75R16 and my Jeep has 16" Rubicon that I wasn't ready to change out of.

I have an '02 X with 31x10.50x15 wheels and 4.56 gears. When I bought the Jeep, it had 3.07s with 235/75-15 tires, and I didn't go larger until I had my regear scheduled. I felt that it was a bit undergunned with the stock gears and 235s, and once the 31s went on it significantly impacted the drivability further. Now with the 4.56s, I am at about 3k RPM at 75. Other than shifting to second gear before I'm through an intersection after leaving a stoplight / stop sign, I love everything about the gearing. With your planned size, you'll probably be a couple of hundred RPM lower than me at equivalent speeds. I think it will work well for you when you hit the hill country.

Interesting the different perspectives on this. I heard something like "5th gear with 3.07 gears is useless with 30" + tires" earlier in this thread. I've been driving just such a TJ (31" tires) for 21 years. I shift to 5th around 60mph. It cruises the highway around 70mph at 2100 rpms. Seems far from useless. Other than my few forays into very light rock crawling and that one time towing way-too-much weight in my trailer (or towing around the max rated load in the mountains), I've never wanted for lower gears. Just fine for daily driver IMO. My pinion gear did decide that was too much towing - but with 150k miles, didn't seem like something I could complain about.

My new-to-me LJ has 3.73 gears. Between that and the lower ratios in the 6-speed, I find 1st gear nearly useless. I'm ready to upshift before I get to the end of my average-length driveway. I guess I just need to step up from the 32s :)
I suppose it all comes down to what you are used to driving as another member said! if you was coming from lower to 3.07 you would possibly hate it but I just cant see the problem with my 6 speed on 3.07.
I posted a clip of a guy with a 5 speed who went from 31,s he bought it with to 33,s on 3.07 and drivability still didnt look a problem to me?

I am definitely missing something because I am in an almost total minority with the 3.07 being fine I test drove loads of TJ,s on 31,s and 3.07 and couldn't see a difference between them and mine on 29,s? they were all 2004 to 2006 manuals.

I am definitely missing something because I am in an almost total minority with the 3.07 being fine I test drove loads of TJ,s on 31,s and 3.07 and couldn't see a difference between them and mine on 29,s? they were all 2004 to 2006 manuals.
It's just the "new normal" for people to bitch, complain and whine about everything. I think the technical term is "millennial pussy syndrome." 🤫

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fishtaco
I watched about 3 minutes of that before deciding that my teenage boys know more about jeeps than he does.
Please tell what you know about that example of 35,s with 3.73? I have show clips of 35,s with 3.73 and 33,s with 3.07 both instances the owners had no real problems running the higher gearing with bigger tires and accepted it as a trade off that wasn't that bad or as bad as its made out to be.
I don't personally know but it seems to me some may be getting advise to re gear in the first instance when its not always necessary for intended purposes of owner usage? I mean who really needs 35,s or even 33,s on any DD other than for a preferred look?

There is certainly an amount of opinion and toleration to what gears are best for what size tires with what engine and tranny with what kind of driving. I lean hard though on people with experience in the same applications in general. Not always, but data points.

I can tell you living in flat ass Texas with 3.07's, 32's, and a 5 speed non-womanly transmission, I didn't know how bad I had it until I regeared. That was for mostly street driving and some trail + mud stuff. The difference was yuge and I wished I had done it sooner. I thought I knew I was fine until I didn't. Having only experienced being under-geared, I can tell you from experience you don't know what you don't know. Not trying to be dick'ish here. Just relating my experience.

Please tell what you know about that example of 35,s with 3.73?
I don't have any experience in that area.

My comment was focused on this being a guy who somehow gets people to listen to him, without having any real knowledge. For example, he is talking about "what it's like to drive a Jeep with 35" tires" (and no lift), but doesn't cover the obvious case of hitting terrain that requires more than 2" of rear-wheel travel. In his case, he's going to tear up his rear fender skirts. Seems like something really important to warn your viewers about. I couldn't stomach the entire video - but I'm assuming he didn't.

Admittedly, I find most YouTubers fall into this category. So this might be a ME thing.

I don't have any experience in that area.

My comment was focused on this being a guy who somehow gets people to listen to him, without having any real knowledge. For example, he is talking about "what it's like to drive a Jeep with 35" tires" (and no lift), but doesn't cover the obvious case of hitting terrain that requires more than 2" of rear-wheel travel. In his case, he's going to tear up his rear fender skirts. Seems like something really important to warn your viewers about. I couldn't stomach the entire video - but I'm assuming he didn't.

Admittedly, I find most YouTubers fall into this category. So this might be a ME thing.
I agree with you 100% I might even wake up to re gearing but I am totally happy with my 3.07,s and 6 speed, then again I live in the flats and only run 29,s because I like stock looking TJ,s. I would splurge out for 30x10.5,s if I could find them here, I am in a stock look minority and it suits my 4x4 needs as well as DD needs so each to his own I suppose!

Anyway I wouldnt turn my engine off at 40 MPH just to listen to lack of tire noise over straight pipe so yes he is a dick! :)

Got the 32’s installed today.
Test drive showed little difference compared to the 30’s that were on it.
BTW, it’s a 2003, 4.0 auto.
A short freeway ride also showed no signs of trouble getting up to speed.
We live in SoCal, so mostly flat except for when we go up the hill to Big Bear, Arrowhead, etc.

The only thing I think I’ll change out is the speedometer gear to get a bit closer to actual speed (compared to GPS data).

I think it looks great and it’s not too tall for my old ass to climb in/out of; and my wife likes it which is great because technically it’s hers…

D143E96B-1F70-4D8C-A135-DBD50724B5C0.jpeg

D41FACBE-E7D2-4668-A0FA-8E6DE4FFC78C.jpeg

My 1998 Jeep came with a 3-speed automatic with 3.07 gears and the optional 30" tire package.

I replaced the 30s with 32s and lived with it for 17 years. Like you, I didn't notice much of a difference with the bigger tires. The only time I really noticed a problem was when I was driving up a mountain. I had the gas to the floor and was losing speed as I climbed higher. So I had to downshift to a lower gear. So what's the big deal?

About 2 years ago, I re-built my axles and decided to re-gear to 4.10s. The idea was to follow Chrysler's notes and mimic the powerband of the optional 3.73 gears with 30" tires. With 32" or 33" tires, 4.10 gears would be the closest match. At first, I didn't think it felt all that much different, except that I noticed the transmission wanted to shift up much sooner and it didn't downshift as much. Then one day shortly after, I angrily stomped the throttle in an effort to pass a slow poke on the highway. I was completely unprepared for how responsive my Jeep became that day. It was like it suddenly woke up. My Jeep LAUNCHED forward and rudely pushed me back in the seat. And I swear I think the front wheels came off the ground! That was when I realized how much torque the 4.0 has - it just needs the right gearing to access it. I can hold the gas pedal down and the 4.0 will actually bark my 32" tires going in to second gear now. It was NEVER like this when I still had the stock 30" tires.

I think what happened is that I was so used to living with the 3.07 gears that I had to re-learn how to drive it correctly with the lower 4.10 gears. Now I realize that Jeep under-geared these engines with the 3.07 gears - even with stock tires. Re-gearing to 4.10s is easily my favorite modification I made to my Jeep.

Last edited:
Only chiming in to share my experience on driveability...

My cj7 with 2.73s on 33s with t5 was an awful driving experience and part of why i sold it. Didn't want to spend the money on new carriers and gears for Dana 30 & amc20 or upgrade to new stronger housings. In hilly areas I'd leave the hubs unlocked and run it in 4 low to save the clutch/be able to take off.

Tj w/4.56s on 33s with nv3550 is terrific around town and highway and I personally wouldn't hesitate to step up to 35s with this gear.