35” tires without a body lift

It cost money to play. As you are well aware of.
Ive seen plenty of stock Jeeps on some gnarly trails while dirt biking in Moab and Colorado. Tells me of their capabilities without spending a crap ton of dinero. I think that was the allure of buying a vehicle that could bring my wife to see what i get to see from a motorcycle. I just want a capable rig that we can both enjoy. I know you that she wont enjoy climbing up the same stuff i tackle with my bike, so i have to dumb down my build so i dont find the urge to go where i shouldnt. Knowing your vehicles limits is key, and knowing your wifes threshold for extreme adventures is probably most important :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Phil Younger
Ive seen plenty of stock Jeeps on some gnarly trails while dirt biking in Moab and Colorado. Tells me of their capabilities without spending a crap ton of dinero. I think that was the allure of buying a vehicle that could bring my wife to see what i get to see from a motorcycle. I just want a capable rig that we can both enjoy. I know you that she wont enjoy climbing up the same stuff i tackle with my bike, so i have to dumb down my build so i dont find the urge to go where i shouldnt. Knowing your vehicles limits is key, and knowing your wifes threshold for extreme adventures is probably most important :ROFLMAO:
Ever been off road without lockers? (Read: stock) :p

I bought my 99 TJ last fall. It came with a 4” short arm lift w/33s, also had some flat top fenders in the front.

My question to those that know: Can I throw on a set of 35s without adding BL ??

My concern: Being an upper Midwestern vehicle, it has its share of rusted bolts. ive come across a plethora of them with the things I have replaced or repaired since ive owned it. The frame itself is in good shape, its all there and pretty sound yet. A few of the outer body mounts are there, but starting to deteriorate. My thought is, once I start trying to add a BL, the bolts are going to snap or the existing mounts will crumble. They are there and functioning, but maybe best to leave them alone (for now)

I dont plan on doing any extreme wheeling with the Jeep, main purpose is to explore a few remote trails with my wife and dogs. So not really needing huge amounts of articulation. I mainly want the option of 35s for a little extra clearance. I’ll run the 33s til they i need a new set. I do prefer the stance and look of TJs with 35s.

View attachment 149065
i know this is unrelated but what fenders are you running

no, you don't.
Ok, we’ll just agree to disagree here

most of the people that i know that utilize them, use them for added clearance. Why else would you use them ??

DCDB73EE-9CE3-4C63-878F-9D56267886CE.jpeg

Ok, we’ll just agree to disagree here

most of the people that i know that utilize them, use them for added clearance. Why else would you use them ??

View attachment 149239

There is nothing to disagree with because this is not about opinions. People make incorrect assumptions. Cycle your axle and you will see what actually happens. The flexible flare on the factory fenders is not a restriction to clearance. The outer lip of your fender is the same, if not thicker, than the factory sheet metal. The rear wall of your fenders is also the same as stock.

If your fenders were a highline where the hood is cut then this would be a very different discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Yes and no, not a Jeep thou. Another one of those things that you find out you really need the second you realize you dont have one.

Think of the trails i’ll be utilizing as more on the easier scenic variety. I still gotta live with my wife. She will enjoy Chicken Corners in Moab, but Steelbender might cause a divorce

Reactions: Apparition
There is nothing to disagree with because this is not about opinions. People make incorrect assumptions. Cycle your axle and you will see what actually happens. The flexible flare on the factory fenders is not a restriction to clearance. The outer lip of your fender is the same, if not thicker, than the factory sheet metal. The rear wall is your fenders is also the same as stock.

If your fenders were a highline where the hood is cut then this would be a very different discussion.
I dont know man. Look at the difference between Plumbers pic and Apparitions pic. Im no jeep expert, but my eyes tell me there is more clearance with Apparitions jeep. Just sayin

I dont know man. Look at the difference between Plumbers pic and Apparitions pic. Im no jeep expert, but my eyes tell me there is more clearance with Apparitions jeep. Just sayin

Cycle your axle without springs and prove me wrong. And think for a moment about why I can be so specific about this.

Cycle your axle without springs and prove me wrong. And think long and hard about why I can be so specific about this.
Thats alright, you keep being you !!

It really doesnt matter to me, as i’ll most likely never need to find out. Easy trails bro, i aint buildin a rock crawler

a wise man once told me, as long as your happy with your build is all that matters

Thats alright, you keep being you !!

It really doesnt matter to me, as i’ll most likely never need to find out. Easy trails bro, i aint buildin a rock crawler

a wise man once told me, as long as your happy with your build is all that matters

You are the one who asked about clearances and fitting tires. You can ignore and argue all you want, but that doesn't change the way things fit and don't fit. ;)

I do have a locker question for you. I have not open up my diffs yet, so i cant tell you what's in there.

i had a youtube vid on the other day. And i heard the guy claim that, if your axle was stock (no locker im assuming) the front driveshaft wouldnt spin with the vehicle moving. But if you had a locker, it would turn. I found that odd, but i am no expert. I know that mine spins and im fairly certain i dont have a locker. A lot of this TJ is still a mystery to me, ive only just begun to peel back the layers of the onion. Owned it since Oct, only for it to sit in storage all winter, just started working on it the past 5-6wks

The pics dont lie dude and i aint the one arguing ;)

Psst, there are a few threads on here with some of these guys who have put on many different flat fenders and did what he’s telling you to do, without a high line cut he is right.

I was with you on visual but he’s not wrong. But if you like what you like and hit fireroads and don’t fully flex, should be good.

I do have a locker question for you. I have not open up my diffs yet, so i cant tell you what's in there.

i had a youtube vid on the other day. And i heard the guy claim that, if your axle was stock (no locker im assuming) the front driveshaft wouldnt spin with the vehicle moving. But if you had a locker, it would turn. I found that odd, but i am no expert. I know that mine spins and im fairly certain i dont have a locker. A lot of this TJ is still a mystery to me, ive only just begun to peel back the layers of the onion. Owned it since Oct, only for it to sit in storage all winter, just started working on it the past 5-6wks
The way the TJ axle housing is designed and built, the axles, ring and pinion, and driveshaft will all spin if in 2wd, stock.

Reactions: Thatguy
I don't see a BL being much of an advantage with a 4" SL with stock shock mounts. Mine with 35s, Rancho RS55255, 3.75" bs wheels and 3" bumpstops leaves about 3/8" of shock travel in front. The tire fits under the flare on both ends and only rubs if I have near all the weight on diagonal tires. I did have to trim the fender brace by the grill shell. A BL would allow 1" more up in the rear. For what @Thatguy has planned he would be OK suspension wise. I'd be more concerned about the axles and steering on 35s.

Cycle your axle without springs and prove me wrong. And think for a moment about why I can be so specific about this.

And then put a stock fender on and compare, lol.

FB_IMG_1533488269065.jpg

20181103_142649.jpg