3rd Time's a Charm LJ Build

Got my new wheel and tire package on. Buyer for the JK Recon wheels, KO2s, adapter and spare relocation bracket had access to a lift, so we pulled everything and I moved to ‘06 Moabs and 285/75R16 MT/Rs.

I liked the 17s and KO2s. But the Recon wheels weren’t my first choice and since I don’t drive it much, I wanted a more aggressive tire.

Very pleased with how things worked out for essentially an even swap. I think I just need some 3/4” spacers up front, especially once the hard top comes off.

E4634934-5092-4A90-B719-5CF888C1449C.jpeg

Last edited:
I never posted about it again, but the Willys is safely at my parents house. Here’s my dad and I with it on the driveway.

673D1463-2A3D-4CCC-9F70-E9B5F57FC654.jpeg

Sold the hard top today. Never really liked the medium gray, don’t love the LJ hard top in general, got a lot for it, and love the look of the soft top... so much better now!

6B229B84-3B03-4258-815B-9C991F7356FD.jpeg

I ordered a plastic polishing kit, and will be trying to clean up the windows this weekend.

Ultimately I realized I was making compromises on my Jeep for a use it was never going to see. I only have a 6 mile commute. My wife’s car is the family vehicle of choice for trips. So ATs and the hard top really weren’t needed.

So in between work on the Willys, the next two projects are the CJ tailgate and lots of clean up on the underside of the tub and the frame.

Yesterday my father and I got the new pressure washer assembled and there was much degreasing of the Willys. While I was there I figured we’re through the last of the weather and a few good rains had washed all the salt off the roads, so i pulled the cover off the 8274.

E49AF102-D77D-4EF1-A1C1-88626E3A7B95.jpeg

Today I went over and between the winch on my LJ and the bumper on his JK, we were able to pull and push the Willys around and got it into the garage.

83B23B61-31F1-4C52-BBAC-A4B3B8BE4A1B.jpeg

Tear down resumes!

So, good day on the tailgate project.

I wasn’t thrilled with the condition of the one I bought this winter, so I picked up another. While my father has been getting layers and layers of paint off the Willys, he also did a bunch of sanding to get the tailgates stripped down. Turns out the new tailgate is worse than the first one, so back to square one. Today I welded up the snap holes and a small hole above one of the hinges. I was also able to chase the hinge holes, which saved me a ton of work. Then I hit a few spots with filler, got some self etching primer on and then hit it with some high build primer. I may still need to fine tune a few spots, but it’s getting close!

As received:

4137F162-5F7D-476B-A250-0F560FFDB925.jpeg

Mostly stripped:

1CAB0338-79D1-4DA7-BF32-2D9CB014EF64.jpeg

As it sits:

E98FB403-4B06-4FC7-88AC-8A5C869682A2.jpeg

Gratuitous shot of the Willys:

A79105BF-58FA-4891-B6D7-734FF0604E0E.jpeg

Edit:

Apparently April is CJ tailgate month for me.

809CAD30-2425-4762-ACA8-C9EFFCA95321.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I thought the tailgate was ready for color. Turns out it’s not, so I have some more work to do. But that said, I was pretty happy with the match considering there’s no clear on it. I'm really looking forward to getting it on for good.

0759049B-9E55-4B9F-B603-E6B5DF85F06C.jpeg

AAE53B4C-6859-4771-AEB6-0A595DDB0F57.jpeg

Last edited:
Unfortunately i got some bad news earlier this week. My Jeep failed inspection due to a bad spot in the frame, on the outside and the bottom around the PS frame side front lower control arm mount.

B6EB620B-921C-45BD-8D9E-8F6C7A8A8CF5.jpeg

I didn’t want to use a Safe-T-Cap. So I picked up some 2.5”x2.5”x3/16” square tube, and yesterday I mitered it at 7.5 degrees and flipped one side to get 15 degrees to match the angle of the frame. When the edges were prepped, I welded that up to have my frame patch ready.

01F05BAE-8B61-4851-983A-A0229502C804.jpeg

This morning I took a bunch of measurements before I cut off the control arm mount, and then hacked away. Once I had access, I cut out the bad section of the frame, cut my patch down and with a lot of trial fitting and trimming, got the patch in. Then I rewelded the control arm mount back to the frame, carefully matching my pre-cut measurements.

4A5ED037-355C-4724-85EB-F9F0827A263F.jpeg

E7CCB44B-7F9D-458C-959D-210219203775.jpeg

Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of it with the frame section removed.

I still need to work on my welds for when I work on the Willys, so more practice is needed. But I cut through some of my welds to check them and I was getting good penetration. The flux core doesn’t always result in the prettiest welds, but it did very well once I dialed in the settings.

So now I just have the rest of the frame to clean, prep and paint, and likely will find additional places to repair. but not I’m pretty confident I can address anything that comes up. And I’m also adding drain holes and internal coating so I can get as much time out of this as possible.

Edit:

And I just got back with a sticker. I was vague on who did the work when I brought it in to make sure it a fair inspection. Tech even commented the patch looked really good, so that was good to hear. He was a little surprised when I told him I did it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vtx531 and Ephry73
Unfortunately i got some bad news earlier this week. My Jeep failed inspection due to a bad spot in the frame, on the outside and the bottom around the PS frame side front lower control arm mount.

View attachment 249046

I didn’t want to use a Safe-T-Cap. So I picked up some 2.5”x2.5”x3/16” square tube, and yesterday I mitered it at 7.5 degrees and flipped one side to get 15 degrees to match the angle of the frame. When the edges were prepped, I welded that up to have my frame patch ready.

View attachment 249047

This morning I took a bunch of measurements before I cut off the control arm mount, and then hacked away. Once I had access, I cut out the bad section of the frame, cut my patch down and with a lot of trial fitting and trimming, got the patch in. Then I rewelded the control arm mount back to the frame, carefully matching my pre-cut measurements.

View attachment 249048
View attachment 249049

Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of it with the frame section removed.

I still need to work on my welds for when I work on the Willys, so more practice is needed. But I cut through some of my welds to check them and I was getting good penetration. The flux core doesn’t always result in the prettiest welds, but it did very well once I dialed in the settings.

So now I just have the rest of the frame to clean, prep and paint, and likely will find additional places to repair. but not I’m pretty confident I can address anything that comes up. And I’m also adding drain holes and internal coating so I can get as much time out of this as possible.
Holy smokes. That is a whole lot of rust. They practically dissolve up there.

Holy smokes. That is a whole lot of rust. They practically dissolve up there.
It really is. Most of the frame still has good section left, especially above the bottom inch or so, so I still have a lot to work with. The front axle is horrible because the previous owner plowed with it, which contributed to the rest of the rust for sure. But I have the HP Dana 30 ready to build and that will go a long way to cleaning things up.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Picking these up Tuesday. And the tailgate is almost ready to go. So it’ll be time to do a lot of painting soon.

C861D487-E086-45C6-8248-7254DCB11CCB.jpeg

3222BD72-6547-4057-8688-2D94666FF16A.jpeg

E768C6FC-9269-4705-8DE8-570F1979396A.jpeg

0FFD32BF-2834-419B-B1E8-604C639D02CA.jpeg

Edit: Picked up and ready to break down and paint!

990367B5-429B-4CD3-A434-92CE8D0138BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Got sick of looking at the swing out tailgate with no spare while waiting for my paint to arrive, so I mounted the CJ tailgate in primer. It was probably a good call since I didn’t damage fresh paint mocking it up. I’d rather look at this than the alternative! And I’ll paint it and the half doors once the paint is delivered.

35658CFA-9E98-43E4-9B7A-A72C45545237.jpeg

2E2ECB2B-F3BB-4A65-AF29-CBD418F20B23.jpeg

028570E2-4D22-4C84-8FAA-206E6CE6B110.jpeg

Last time I did this I modified a CJ reproduction tailgate seal and the fit was terrible. This time I repurposed the TJ seal and it worked much better. I just have some tweaks to make where it meets the tailgate bar when I put it on for good after paint.

I’m not sure what I’m doing to do at the stock hinge locations. Last time I used Poison Spyder corner armor hinge delete plates painted to match. They’re not available anymore so I’ll either make my own or come up with something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
Re-read the whole thing. Love the build for sure. I love those old Willys trucks as well. Almost bought one that was for sale in CO back in 2019. Was set up as a rescue truck with the LS swap and caged bed. Keep us posted on both.

The tailgate is something I have been thinking about, even for a JK. With tubular tire carrier like the ORFab one there is no need to worry about weight on it, and as long as you get it to seal the rear window it will be alright.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: en480c4
Re-read the whole thing. Love the build for sure. I love those old Willys trucks.as well Almost bought one that was for sale in CO back in 2019. Was set up as a rescue truck with the LS swap and caged bed. Keep us posted on both.

The tailgate is something I have been thinking about, even for a JK. With tubular tire carrier like the OIrFab no need to worry about weight on it, and as long as you get it to seal the rear window it will be alright.
Thanks!

My father used the Swag drop down conversion kit on his JK. Between that and a hitch mounted bed extender he built, he uses it to pick up lumber and supplies. But the Willys will be better for that stuff for sure.

One thing I’m playing with as an idea is to use the TJ hinge locations for a quick-release CJ-7 style carrier. Then I’ll have a spare for longer trip or trail rides.

And I think my next projects are a UCF no BL skid and Next Venture rear cross member with the hitch after some extensive frame cleanup. And lots of work on the Willys.

Reactions: Ephry73
Thanks!

My father used the Swag drop down conversion kit on his JK. Between that and a hitch mounted bed extender he built, he uses it to pick up lumber and supplies. But the Willys will be better for that stuff for sure.

One thing I’m playing with as an idea is to use the TJ hinge locations for a quick-release CJ-7 style carrier. Then I’ll have a spare for longer trip or trail rides.

And I think my next projects are a UCF no BL skid and Next Venture rear cross member with the hitch after some extensive frame cleanup. And lots of work on the Willys.
Can always look at the CJ7 carrier and add backing plates for the top and bottom points. I think the older Jimmy has something similar.

Just a little progress on the half doors… Got them stripped down and ready for prep and paint. I’ll also test fit them next time to make sure the alignment is good and that I don’t have to adjust the hinges

12E3153C-77E5-434D-9ECB-637C68E717AC.jpeg

I also got a little done on the Willys PU. One spring and shackle swapped out. A PO welded the castle nuts to the frame, which slowed us down considerably.

D90C43B3-FEF1-4CEA-BF8B-0621E656A5ED.jpeg

Reactions: Ardenlonewolf
Well, I could stand the stock rear bumper and low-hanging tow hitch no more! While I don’t mind the stock rear bumper for what it is with a spare, I hate the look with the CJ tailgate.

Next Venture High Clearance Hitch Bumper ordered!

From their site:

Samantha-Skids-Rob-Bumper-073-web_1200x1200.jpg

I really liked the Swag version I had on my last LJ but they’re only offering the unwelded kit. And I thought about adding a hitch to one of the other rear crossmember bumpers out there but this looks well done and I have plenty of other projects, so I don’t need to make this harder than it has to be.

Edit: My last LJ for reference.

C17625AE-7462-40BF-95E9-E09AED5E8712.jpeg

Edit August 21, 2021:

Picked up a hard top cheap in July. Figured it flip it, or keep it in case I decided to sell the LJ.

586006BE-79D9-45B4-BD88-6802E4EB6E4A.jpeg

I did (finally) receive the NV bumper and installed it. Loved it.

C94E5D54-950A-4ECE-995F-D37F657F59A8.jpeg

Also received a new Mopar transmission mount and UCF no-BL skid. Never got around to installing them.

Spent a lot of time with a grinder and 40 grit flap discs taking the frame and torque boxes to bare metal. Everything was solid.

Some before and afters:

500A033B-73DB-41E3-B092-955BFD756E66.jpeg

A999C071-37C9-4421-9BDD-676B49B7DEFE.jpeg

BF172308-0089-44D4-90A2-F02AE31AF34C.jpeg

5D0D776D-21CB-4C15-AECD-7EB3453D7174.jpeg

Ultimately decided it was time to move on, and sold the Jeep Friday. It’s going to a good home. Trying Vroom and bought an ‘18 JLR with 8,200 miles. I should get it in a week or two.

Last photo I took of

81BDABF7-6926-48D5-9597-0C4ECDE3AF01.jpeg

Ad photo of the JLR:

A3365406-EC2E-4EAE-9979-910FF53A3DC4.jpeg

Talking a new job with a longer commute and longer hours, combined with not enough time (or any desire, actually) to work on the TJ makes this a good call for right now. My wrenching time can focus on my father’s Willys and the JL is turn-key needs nothing but a 2” receiver. I’ll probably go 2-2 1/2” and 37’s when it needs tires. But until then? I’m good!

I’ll throw Willys updates in this thread for anyone who’s interested. Thanks!

Last edited:
Still enjoy checking in on the forums. Some of the best forum builds out there, and it's great to see everyone's progress.

Still miss having a TJ/LJ, and my wife and I talk about returning to one. But more realistically I'll keep the JLR for the near term, and when my father and I (eventually) finish the Willys pickup, we'll probably target a flat-fender as our next build.

Edit: Nevermind… Sold the JLR to a dealer on Labor Day. Likely making a huge mistake, and am looking at a ‘91 Range Rover Classic that just came to Maine from Colorado on Friday. Bucket list vehicle for me, so I’m saying fuck it. God help me and my decision-making.

As for the truck, progress continues. Slowly... The new job doesn't afford me as much time.

Frame is all cleaned/patched and painted with POR.
The previous owner(s) had cut out and replaced much of the floor. There's still some clean-up work required.
All of the bad sheet metal has been cut out and patched. Both lower cowl panels, sills and rear corners, as well as the passenger-side lower door with replacement panels from Walck's 4WD. We have the panel to do the driver-side door, and we're just trying to decide how far to take it. The doors were a pain since the edges are all bent at 90 degrees, and after the existing panels are cut out, the new ones go on and have to be bent around the door structure.
Tried to do the Herm the Overdrive Guy's Ford reverse-rotation steering box conversion, but his bracket couldn't be made to fit with the factory 6 cylinder. So we're going to rebuild the Ross steering box, and if that's too much of a fight to drive, we'll do a custom saginaw conversion.
Next up is wiring, exhaust and brakes. Oh, and paint.

Anyway, what's a progress post without pics?

IMG_5879(1).JPG

IMG_5919(1).JPG

IMG_6062.JPG

IMG_6060(1).JPG

The hope is to have this wrapped up and on the road in the spring.

Last edited:
There are probably some things that I should've done first, like brakes or addressing the fuel sending unit. But I just couldn't stand the stock stereo any more. Last night I installed a Joying 8.8” single-DIN Android floating screen head unit. The widescreen aspect ratio fits perfectly between the vents and HVAC controls, though I need to adjust the screen up a little. It has wired and wireless CarPlay, and looks and sounds great. And because it’s single DIN, I was able to keep my silver bezel.

View attachment 182056

View attachment 182058

Now to refill the Jeep fund for whatever comes next.

I just installed the 7in single din version. Any suggestions for setting the equalizer?