4.0 Cooling Issues

Well, water is a more efficient coolant then glycol and it will not boil or create vapor pressure in a closed loop system which is all correct, beyond that nowhere did I state to run water vs glycol so don't worry about it. Again it was just a clarification of glycol properties.

Typically I run straight distilled water for several days after any major repairs to the cooling system (temps permitting) to prove system is tight and for the purposes of flushing.
We used mountain stream water in the island when we were kids - no glycol just straight water, for years.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Do you by chance have a STUPID Angry bird on the front? I've read that that will not help with cooling. If running only water grab some Redline Water Wetter it does make a difference.

Reactions: Tigerman
The radiator , apparently will not arrive today! wtf.... (there was a guaranteed delivery date on it) arrrrrggg, and no one local has the OEM.

Do you by chance have a STUPID Angry bird on the front? I've read that that will not help with cooling. If running only water grab some Redline Water Wetter it does make a difference.
I most certainly DO NOT! I do have a winch, but it has been on there for a long time and has never been an issue before.

As a temporary measure, I dropped in an aftermarket radiator to be able to go somewhere this weekend... when the OEM rad arrives, I will swap it out, not exactly computer science ;)

Problem fixed, running normal now:
IMG_20200320_094735.jpg

BTW, the original thermostat, which you can see in a picture in an earlier post, in the nearly boiling water is no good after all. I dropped another thermostat right next to it and compared how far they open and the old one is definitely opening up a lot less. The new thermostat retracted 5mm back, completely opening up the flow, whereas the old one retracted only about a 1~2mm.

Cheers and thanks for all the help.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Wow... I mean I was prepared to see some rust, maybe the tips eaten out a little or the impeller detached from the shaft, but a star shaped disk?? LOL. That probably took years to get to that condition. Anyone knows how to tell if this a mopar pump or not? I cannot find any Chrysler stamp on it, just TU03 C-7136.
That does not look like a Mopar pump, unless they've changed their design significantly over the years. Here's mine that I installed in September:

pump01.JPG
pump02.JPG
pump03.JPG