42RLE Transmission Temperatures?

I’ll probably give it a try!

I have this screen shot from Blaine a while back describing how to not air lock when adding a transmission cooler.

Any idea if this applies to these type of coolers were inlet and outlet are both at the bottom?

View attachment 434964

View attachment 434966

This is the specific cooler Blaine is referring to with in/out on opposite corners...
Screenshot_20230622_171028_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Setrab 53-10748-01 ProLine SLM Range Oil Cooler 420mm hdr-to-hdr, 14 row, M22 ports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C64FTTK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

20230114_193552.jpg

I haven't driven mine in really hot weather yet, but this winter in the 20's°F, I was seeing the temp gauge lift off the peg at 115°. The hottest I have seen so far is about 150° on a low 90s day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowhunter
This is the specific cooler Blaine is referring to with in/out on opposite corners...
View attachment 434972
Setrab 53-10748-01 ProLine SLM Range Oil Cooler 420mm hdr-to-hdr, 14 row, M22 ports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C64FTTK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 434973

I haven't driven mine in really hot weather yet, but this winter in the 20's°F, I was seeing the temp gauge lift off the peg at 115°. The hottest I have seen so far is about 150° on a low 90s day.

Thanks for the clarification. While those setrab coolers look great and perform even better, I may give one of these cheaper B&M a try. All these high end parts and mopar parts are really starting to add up lol

Thanks for the clarification. While those setrab coolers look great and perform even better, I may give one of these cheaper B&M a try. All these high end parts and mopar parts are really starting to add up lol

The BM cooler is about half the size and significantly less fluid capacity of the Setrab. In case that matters in this effort to keep the transmission from getting too hot.

True Cool also makes the stacked plate design with the bypass flow. Also you can buy an inline thermostat, True Cool, Derale and Mishimoto all make them. In the Winter I couldn't get my Superduty transmission to warm over 140 so I put in a Derale 180 thermostat, now it runs at 190-200 all the time which is good. Was not aware the Jeep autos were supposed to run so cool as the 180 mentioned earlier, is there any documentation for that? I can see 180 being optimal but the OEM Jeeps with the radiator cooler only must certainly run hotter than 180 with the coolant at 210.

Reactions: hear
I’m also running the big setrab with my 42rle. In the winter, with ambient air temp in the 20’s and 30’s, it was overcooling, in that my temps were lower than I’d like to see them (90-110). In the summer, I’m seeing 140 on average with temps in the high 80’s. I have purchased a derale oil thermostat to install. This weekend will be a test, with a planned trip to an off-road park and high air temperatures.

This is the chart that you supposed to be using per 42RLE manual. This is assuming that the fill was performed to factory defined levels.
As you can see, 220F is not even in the chart. Between 165F and under 200F is where can be per hot definition,
View attachment 434922

This chart references temperature for checking correct fluid level. I’m not sure it is (or isn’t) telling us the max fluid temperature allowed before damage.

Reactions: hear
Yes, there is a temperature sensor in all 42RLEs, TJ and JK ones as well. It is in the valve body. Basically it reads almost the same temperature as in the bottom of the pan. The reason why I say almost - bottom of the pan is cooled down by air, and as a result will be a little cooler than the space on top of the valve body bottom plate. The sensor outputs the signal to through the connector on the driver side, where the shift column is. Information that flows through this connector is - temperature and shifter position (user input, when you move the handle in the cabin, it turns the column, and column had a way to report which gear was selected). TCM (in 2003 or 2004) or PCM (in 2005 to 2006) uses these inputs (together with input and output speeds) from the transmission itself in addition to inputs from PCM (throttle position and RPM) to decide on commands that it sends to solenoid pack, through the connector on the exhaust side. If you put reverse, park or neutral, it does not send any commands to solenoid, keeping it default all open and flow of oil is regulated only by the manual valve. if you put into drive, then default is 2nd gear (which is what happens when you are in limp mode - TCM failed to control the solenoid pack and drive simply means 2nd gear) then the TCM starts to work, and starts shifting between 1 to 4 using the solenoid pack to control the flow of oil to the right pistons.
I thought about hacking into this wire, measuring it with scope, and the doing a hack in sensor, but then decided that unlike data wires, this is analog signal, in which a voltage level is what carries the data (not 1 and 0 encoded, but rather a continuous range of voltages to indicate temperatures), so hacking into the line might compromise it and screw up the way TCM makes shift decisions - they depend on temperature - TCM shifts differently when cold and when hot.

Thanks for the heads up on where the temp sensor is for my 2005.

I recently stopped using the pan bung sensor after installing the Aeroforce OBD2 gauge since it gives me the transmission temp through the PCM.

IMG_5532.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on where the temp sensor is for my 2005.

I recently stopped using the pan bung sensor after installing the Aeroforce OBD2 gauge since it gives me the transmission temp through the PCM.

View attachment 440150

I about had a mini heart attack when you said our jeeps came with transmission temp sensors and we just needed to buy the Aeroforce. After all the work to get a temp sensor in the pan I was going to be frustrated. But then noticed that’s only for 05/06.

Guess that PCM in the 05/06 is good for somethings :p

Edit: How does the aero gauge transmission temp compare with the transmission pan bung temp? I assume it reads a little higher than the pan?

• Haha
Reactions: MikeE024
I about had a mini heart attack when you said our jeeps came with transmission temp sensors and we just needed to buy the Aeroforce. After all the work to get a temp sensor in the pan I was going to be frustrated. But then noticed that’s only for 05/06.

Guess that PCM in the 05/06 is good for somethings :p

Edit: How does the aero gauge transmission temp compare with the transmission pan bung temp? I assume it reads a little higher than the pan?

I removed the Autometer transmission guage to install the EGT gauge in its slot.

I purchased an Aeroforce analog temp sensor to take its spot in the pan, but I never installed it bc the PCM already gave me the reading.

I was a bit bummed that I didn’t do a comparison that I didn’t realize I could have done. But it wasn’t worth re-running the electrical wires to do the comparison.

With that said, the readings are very similar to what I saw on the previous gauge…my guess is they are easily within 10* (probably much closer) since I don’t see a noticeable difference in the readings. The current gauge hasn’t shown hotter than 180*, which was the hottest I’ve seen the previous gauge show.

Last edited:
Spent today bunch of time on trails and forest roads in Sam Houston National Forest.
Derale ecooler worked pretty almost all the time, and the transmission temperature record was 186F.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Spent today bunch of time on trails and forest roads in Sam Houston National Forest.
Derale ecooler worked pretty almost all the time, and the transmission temperature record was 186F.

Thanks for the info. Your temps with the derale and my temps (new mopar rad) look to be very similar.

While on the trails was your transmission shifting often?

My above data came from very little shifting (mostly 1st gear in 4 low or 4 high), but a lot of stop and go transitions on obstacles. My understanding is shifting and stop and go is what creates transmission heat

I have the big Setrab cooler in the grill on mine. Today the air temps were in the mid 90s. Lots of 4H/4L in 1st gear up long climbs. The highest I saw was a bit above 180F. Most of the day, it was much lower, as low as the 140s on occasion.

Thanks for the info. Your temps with the derale and my temps (new mopar rad) look to be very similar.

While on the trails was your transmission shifting often?

My above data came from very little shifting (mostly 1st gear in 4 low or 4 high), but a lot of stop and go transitions on obstacles. My understanding is shifting and stop and go is what creates transmission heat
My transmission is pretty much new, so when it shifts it shifts very smooth.
It was mainly running 2nd, I believe.

That is correct, it is stop and go and the obstacles that I see heating up the transmission. The interesting fact is that the engine never crossed 210F, and was mainly running really good and cold.

I have the big Setrab cooler in the grill on mine. Today the air temps were in the mid 90s. Lots of 4H/4L in 1st gear up long climbs. The highest I saw was a bit above 180F. Most of the day, it was much lower, as low as the 140s on occasion.

On a highway today, when at 75MPH with air being at 102F, with AC, the transmission was at 140F, not really higher, and engine at 205F, not higher.

The only thing that Is not ideal is hot idle, when I idle, with AC on. The engine temps cross 210F and go into 220F area. Need to solve this one.

On a highway today, when at 75MPH with air being at 102F, with AC, the transmission was at 140F, not really higher, and engine at 205F, not higher.

The only thing that Is not ideal is hot idle, when I idle, with AC on. The engine temps cross 210F and go into 220F area. Need to solve this one.

Maybe your fan clutch… Hayden is typically recommended. I just went through this a few months ago but mine was warming up on the highway. New mopar radiator fixed it for me

Maybe your fan clutch… Hayden is typically recommended. I just went through this a few months ago but mine was warming up on the highway. New mopar radiator fixed it for me

I suspect that this is my autozone radiator. Not leaking, 3 years old. W/o AC, it keeps the temperature in idle at ~210F.