Nice build! I have front shocks coming this week and still trying to settle on how to mount the fronts. I like the simple upper mount you used and wondering if you have a pic of the mount not on the Jeep. It looks bolt on? Is there a reason for not mounting the shock higher? If you did another would you do anything different?

View attachment 222654
The Fox shock in this picture is a 10" travel (16" fully collapsed) variety I picked up on CL for a steal, I had intended on using an 11" travel (17" fully collapsed) shock and all of the bump stops and mounts were set accordingly. I have another set of the brackets I made that are an inch shorter so all I had to do was swap brackets and the 11" would fit.

I did it this way because I felt that modifying the lower mount was easier than the upper mount, could be modular, and cost nearly nothing.

I made this bracket in an hour or two, but most manufacturers (synergy, tera, RE etc) make them. Here's one on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TTZH8M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If I were to do it again I would put a 90-degree angle on the shock reservoir hose. Sometimes at full flex, the tire would rub the hose. I never liked that.

Reactions: Brianj5600
JL Fox IFPs got mounted in the front...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jl-shocks-on-a-tj.49036/
PXL_20210401_165904898.jpg
PXL_20210401_154342584.jpg
PXL_20210401_154331697.jpg

Last edited:
Have you got a chance to drive on them yet?
I have. Just like on the JL the fox IFP are very smooth. Smaller bumps and imperfections are nearly non existent, but cornering remains confident and the shocks seem to firm up on the larger stuff so bottoming out is minimal. I suspect that even though it is still a 2.0 shock, the head has larger bleed holes but firmer valve shims allowing slow speed dampening to be relatively free, but rapid events to be firm... Much like a flutter. In the next few weeks in going to order the tools to pull one apart and see for myself.

"I suspect that even though it is still a 2.0 shock, the head has larger bleed holes but firmer valve shims allowing slow speed dampening to be relatively free"

nope, not even close.

I've since learned it has smaller ports, no bleed holes, and very soft valving, lol.
It does use a serrated shim, allowing oil to bleed by on compression, but not rebound. Creating that nice plush ride without bouncy-ness
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WSS
I had to go test the new shocks. I'm very pleased with the new setup, but it's going to make me re-valve the rear. With the old 5000x front shocks and tuned fox rear I always felt that the front was the weak link. The ranchos were decent on compression but had limited rebound control allowing the jeep to bounce back up. Now I feel like it's the other way around. The Fox IFP on the front are valved exactly the way I prefer, and the rear is now way too firm. I don't like feeling every tree root and pebble.

Flex: Check
The Fox IFP are almost exactly the same length as the Ranchos. Nothing gained nothing lost.

original_bc983a3c-20a4-42a7-b7d7-54a04e59d91b_PXL_20210405_130302388_2.jpg

I had to go test the new shocks. I'm very pleased with the new setup, but it's going to make me re-valve the rear. With the old 5000x front shocks and tuned fox rear I always felt that the front was the weak link. The ranchos were decent on compression but had limited rebound control allowing the jeep to bounce back up. Now I feel like it's the other way around. The Fox IFP on the front are valved exactly the way I prefer, and the rear is now way too firm. I don't like feeling every tree root and pebble.

The Fox IFP are almost exactly the same length as the Ranchos. Nothing gained nothing lost.

View attachment 241147
That is a great picture!

Reactions: DuncLJ

View attachment 241147
Looks like a ride of the month contender to me!

Reactions: DuncLJ
@kmas0n can you shoot a pic of your exhaust when your flexing like in the last picture? when i flex like that my exhaust hits my shocks

@kmas0n can you shoot a pic of your exhaust when your flexing like in the last picture? when i flex like that my exhaust hits my shocks
Because my shocks are out-boarded, they are nowhere near my exhaust anymore, but it was a problem when I had the factory locations. My Trackbar does rub on the exhaust at full flex, but it happens so infrequently that it hasn't even rubbed the paint off of the trackbar yet.

Reactions: MeanGreen86