If you go off the chart from HotWire the Ram is a CCD PCM & you need a PCI PCM which started in 2002 by their chart.

I'd call them and verify before doing anything else.

Following your outcome. About to start my own swap and found conflicting resources on 2001 ram being ccd vs pci. I also have 2001 tj.

I wonder if you could call your local Dodge dealer and ask someone there? I tried to do a search on it (I ain't good at searches) and didn't find anything.

I guess the other way to look at this is to just make sure you get a PCM from a 2002 Ram. That really limits your options though. There were a limited number of trucks offered in 2003 with the 5.9 but I don't think the 5.2 was offered.

@RangerRick do you by chance know if this is correct information?

Reactions: PirataCoqui
Following your outcome. About to start my own swap and found conflicting resources on 2001 ram being ccd vs pci. I also have 2001 tj.

Yea!!! I haven’t gotten back to it yet. But I think I will need a pcm out of a 2003 dodge Ram. According to service manuals I’ve been looking at, it might be the right part for my project.

From what I remember in the Magnum V-8 swap thread I think you can use a 2002 or 2003.

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/wrangler-magnum-v8-discussion.1365878/

@Wildman first I wanted to say thank you. Reading your countless threads and comments is what motivated me to take the plunge and try the magnum swap.

@TJdriver78
Pretty sure the 01 ram is CCD based on one of the wires going to the pcm being twisted pair wire( forgot the exact location) . My understanding is that if it was a pci bus the wire should have been a single wire delivering the signal.

I have a fully running 01 ram 1500. I just ordered a 2002 ram ecm for a 5.9 auto off eBay that I will use to test on the 01 before I dismantle it. My goal is to get a bus error on the dash on the ram but for it to start. My reasoning for going about it this way is that I just don’t want to be chasing issues after I do the swap and not know if I need to chase wiring or pcm issues.

Last edited:
@Wildman first I wanted to say thank you. Reading your countless threads and comments is what motivated me to take the plunge and try the magnum swap.

@TJdriver78
Pretty sure the 01 ram is CCD based on one of the wires going to the pcm being twisted pair wire( forgot the exact location) . My understanding is that if it was a pci bus the wire should have been a single wire delivering the signal.

I have a fully running 01 ram 1500. I just ordered a 2002 ram ecm for a 5.9 auto off eBay that I will use to test on the 01 before I dismantle it. My goal is to get a bus error on the dash on the ram but for it to start. My reasoning for going about it this way is that I just don’t want to be chasing issues after I do the swap and not know if I need to chase wiring or pcm issues.

That sounds like a good but could be expensive idea. When I first got my TJ running I had PCM issues and went thru 3 before finally getting a good one on the 4th. And then still bought one more so I'd have a spare.
When you start the swap make sure to start a build thread if you don't have one already so we can fallow plus then it's easier to offer help. Good luck.

To provide some closure for someone else going through this. I swapped an 2002 ram 1500 5.9 auto pcm and got the pcm error I was expecting about 30 secs after turning it on.

image.jpg

Reactions: Wildman
I'd say that this is a GOOD sign that a 2002 PCM is PCI & not CCD.
When does the swap start?

Technically it started last month when I pulled my 4cyl and sold it but have spent better part of the month doing some frame restoration and getting a Dana 44 with disc brakes in. I started to dismantle the ram over the weekend but ram out of time. Hope to get to it for a few hours every night.

Technically it started last month when I pulled my 4cyl and sold it but have spent better part of the month doing some frame restoration and getting a Dana 44 with disc brakes in. I started to dismantle the ram over the weekend but ram out of time. Hope to get to it for a few hours every night.

Well keep us posted on how it goes and best of luck. Look forward to seeing it once it's all done.