50 cal ammo cans with side latching top

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
For those with plans to add 50 cal ammo cans. These are kind of interesting. As they open sideways instead of from the end. Might work better in some applications in your Jeep. They look like they have easier access in tight spaces. As the lid does not have to raise up so high. Might even work for a better center console ammo can. Or under the hood if 50's fit under the hood. Not sure if only 30 cal fits under the hood. Anyway just passing this along to you DIYer's that might find these useful. FYI this surplus store is my local surplus store. Good guys. It's owned by VooDoo Tactical which is housed next door.

https://majorsurplus.com/collectible-50-cal-ammo-can.html

I'm personally looking for one large surplus crate that would fill the backseat area. So if you have any leads that would be greatly appreciated.

Those are WWII/Korea era. I like them much better than the later style we are used to.

Those are WWII/Korea era. I like them much better than the later style we are used to.

Only problem is you'd have to improvise a locking mechanism. If that was essential to what you were doing with it. I like that it opens sideways alot better. Makes it alot easier to open and close in a confined space like a Jeep. One or two would fit perfectly in my locking trunk. But the fit would be weird. They be perfect for other uses though.

Just thought someone could use this idea. Seems like it's ripe for some application. Do 50 cal boxes fit under the hood? It would be perfect for that. Lock or no lock.

I have a "normal" 50 cal on the driver's inner fender. One corner needs to be bashed in to clear the hood. And the cruise control needs to be moved a bit. I keep the jumper cables inside.

Then I have a pair of the side hinged boxes on the rear wheel wells.

Pics are buried in my build thread.