'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

A few hubcaps for sale to decorate the garage!
bce9163e437de5e8de02d2b74ae75683.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Haven't had much of a chance to get out in the garage, what with the daughter's car accident, and some wicked demands at work (short a few crewmembers the past two weeks). Today, I finally got word that my stainless steel brake line kit had arrived. I ordered it through 4 Wheel Parts a month ago, and it just got to their store yesterday. So, I headed down there to pick 'em up. Man, lots of goodies in their store. A fella could go broke in a hurry!
I put in a couple of hours on the son-in-law's S10 today (miscellaneous repairs), and that project is officially done. Was able to squeeze in some time cleaning up and painting my '03-'06 gas tank skid. I had done the inside of it a week or so ago, so it was the outside portion that got attention, today. While the pics show it as being rather glossy, it's just the paint is still wet. I went with a satin paint...
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG

Haven't had much of a chance to get out in the garage, what with the daughter's car accident, and some wicked demands at work (short a few crewmembers the past two weeks). Today, I finally got word that my stainless steel brake line kit had arrived. I ordered it through 4 Wheel Parts a month ago, and it just got to their store yesterday. So, I headed down there to pick 'em up. Man, lots of goodies in their store. A fella could go broke in a hurry!
I put in a couple of hours on the son-in-law's S10 today (miscellaneous repairs), and that project is officially done. Was able to squeeze in some time cleaning up and painting my '03-'06 gas tank skid. I had done the inside of it a week or so ago, so it was the outside portion that got attention, today. While the pics show it as being rather glossy, it's just the paint is still wet. I went with a satin paint...
View attachment 46690 View attachment 46691 View attachment 46692
Nice job! Really looks good!

Looks Great Squatch! I remember painting my skid too...Looked all pretty, hanging from my painting stand...I used bedliner over top of the Red Oxide primer so it has a bit of texture and toughness.

ei2CstcleKlTZcC5pyCHu2BEF-UY-5vpzATtJwSd8cQ9bbkrr04KAumBi3-sM5LOyiflKvJCxI9HE7Knc3=w1129-h635-no.jpg

Then you mount it...and the only person who can appreciate it is you, when you crawl under the jeep for the umpteeth time. Can't even see my tank anymore!
rear bumper.jpg

Looks Great Squatch! I remember painting my skid too...Looked all pretty, hanging from my painting stand...I used bedliner over top of the Red Oxide primer so it has a bit of texture and toughness.

View attachment 46710

Then you mount it...and the only person who can appreciate it is you, when you crawl under the jeep for the umpteeth time. Can't even see my tank anymore!
View attachment 46709
That's funny, because I was thinking the same thing. Looks all pretty, and no one will ever know but me. But it matters, doesn't it? Just knowing something is "right" goes a long way... :)

Spent about six hours today working on the Teej. I decided to remove the passenger rear fender flare and inner panel for more room and accessibility. Of course, three out of three nutserts just spun, making cutting the heads off the screws with a Dremel the only option. Trimmed the nutserts down, as well, and popped them through. Retrieved them later with a magnet.

I started to scraping and cleaning on the top-side of the passenger side spring perch, then moved to the underside of the crossmember, by the upper shock mount. It was a bit overwhelming, looking at all that scale rust. Felt like it was going to take forever to remove it all. Then I remembered that on the recommendation of @Ranger_b0b, I had picked up a "scaler" from Harbor Freight. I'd never used one before, and I have to admit that I wasn't completely sold on the idea. Just seemed like a newfangled thing that I just couldn't imagine would work very well. But, I decided to give it a go, and I'll tell you what...that thing is my new favorite tool in the garage. @Ranger_b0b said it would make a mess, and boy, did it. A big, beautiful, magnificent mess! That thing worked so well, that after only about fifteen seconds of using it, I literally yelled out "Oh, HELL YEAH!" (much to the amusement of my neighbor... :)). It was just under $35 for it, and had I known how well it worked, I would've paid three times that amount. So, a big "Thank you!" for the recommendation! That thing will no doubt save me hours upon hours in scraping scale rust. For all you folks with pristine frames, you'll never know the joys a pneumatic tool like this will bring you. I feel sorry for you. It's truly an experience. ;)

IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG