A comparison of building for 33s and 35s

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
It routinely comes up in build discussions here that you're doing the same work for either a 33" or 35" tire. However, I couldn't find anything that actually quantified that statement in one place. For discussion purposes, and so we can help better educate ourselves and others, I'm proposing we do exactly that. Here's the scenario:

Assume we are building a highly capable dual purpose TJ/LJ (i.e. daily driver and solid trail rig) for either 33" or 35" tires. We're looking to maximize shock travel, belly height, and protect vulnerable areas underneath the Jeep. We also want to maintain safe handling, acceleration, and braking.

This has to be bolt on parts, so we aren't doing any custom work like shock out-boarding, raised body mounts etc. With that in mind, I took a shot at identifying the components that should be replaced, allowing for some substitutions in a couple areas.

The one area I'd argue every TJ/LJ requires some "custom work" would be to weld mini skids on the front lower control arms. However, I'll leave that off for now, along with body armor, bumpers, and a winch, at least until others chime in.

Although I tried not to put vendor solutions here, there are two exceptions noted.

With that scenario in mind, once I put everything into a spreadsheet the introduction statement becomes abundantly clear. He's my first shot at the list, so fire away and help make this something useful for those not in the know!

This is not a list for those wanting a budget build. It is intended for those that want to optimize a build around either 33" or 35" tires. "Optimize" means build it to maximum performance, both on and off-road, using bolt-on parts.Additionally, following the recipe outlined, you'll minimize throwing away or buying parts twice, should you start out with a 33" tire in mind, but later move to a 35" tire.
Tire Size33"35"
Suspension
4" Springs¹YesYes
Shocks to match liftYesYes
Adjustable Control Arms (Short Arms)²YesYes
Adjustable Track Bars YesYes
Rear Track Bar BracketYesYes
Steering
Steering Linkage - Currie³YesYes
Upgraded Steering Box/Pump/Cylinder AssistNoYes
Power Steering CoolerNoYes
Drivetrain
Gears - Optimized for your transmission and tire sizeYesYes
Lockers (Selectable)⁴YesYes
Front Axle Shafts⁴YesYes
Rear Axle Shafts⁴YesYes
Transmission Cooler and Temperature Gauge⁵YesYes
Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE)⁶YesYes
DriveshaftsYesYes
Brakes
Upgraded Brake PadsYesYes
Extended Brake LinesYesYes
Big Brake Kit (BBK)⁷NoNo
Body
Body Lift (BL)NoYes
Motor Mount LiftNoYes
Armor
Gas Tank Skid (GTS)⁸NoYes
Tummy Tuck⁹NoYes
Gas Tank SkidNoYes
Rocker GuardsNoYes
Engine SkidNoYes
Tires and Wheels
33" TiresYesNo
35" TiresNoYes
Wheels to match tire size¹⁰
Miscellaneous
Tire Carrier Reinforcement¹¹YesYes
Cable Shifter for Transfer CaseNoYes
Differential Covers¹²YesYes
Caveats
¹A 4" spring is the optimal spring for a TJ. it provides the longest possible free length, allowing for a 10" travel shock, when set up properly.
²Double adjustable arms make fine tuning easier, but a single adjustable arm will suffice.
³This is one of the places where a vendors product is mentioned. Reason being, although a ZJ steering upgrade can be done, they are prone to bending if you spend a significant amount of time on rocks.
⁴30 Spline are recommended for a Dana 35 (Super 35 Kit) or Dana 30.
⁵All automatic transmissions should have a transmission cooler and temperature gauge.
⁶SYE is required for all 231 transfer cases. In addition to the fixed yoke, a SYE, especially on a TJ, allows for a longer rear driveshaft. In the case of the TJ, the Super Short SYE is recommended.
⁷This one falls into the category of you'll know you need a Big Brake Kit (BBK) when you drive the Jeep on 35" tires. If you're of the mindset that stock brakes will suffice, buy wheels with the possibility of making the upgrade later in mind.
⁸This is optional and another case where a vendor product will be used. If you purchase a Savvy GTS it can be installed in either a BL or no-BL configuration. This means that later, if you move to 35" tires, all you have to do is raise the skid up to the BL setting.
⁹It's assumed that if you're building around a 35" tire, you're doing so to push both the rig and your abilities. In that case, the skids are considered required. For a 33" tire build, a Non-BL belly skid could be installed, to help slightly improve belly height. However, the maximum belly height that can be obtained with a "bolt-on" skid requires a BL. This means that if you buy a non-BL skid, it would be the only part you'd need to replace, besides tires, should you choose to move up to a 35" tire later.
¹⁰Wheel size is up to the you, but be advised that 15" tire sizes are dwindling. Also, a 17" wheel would minimize buying wheels twice, offers good tire choices, and allows for BBK options later.
¹¹Tire carrier reinforcement is required to help reduce stress on the factory tailgate spot welds and factory hinges.
¹²Care should be taken to get covers that offer protection and minimize interference with the front track bar or GTS.

Last edited:
I agree that the difference between a 33" tire build and a 35" tire build is slight...I don't know that its only the difference of a body lift. On 33's, you need the belly clearance...so a tummy tuck is really important. However, once the body lift is there, you run "too much" lift at 4" and lots of shock options or you run 3" springs (or some combination of 2" plus a spacer) and you run into issues with shock choices and travel balance.

Also not sure that I agree with the steering box selection you made. I'd say if it matters, you need to go fully hydro assist, otherwise the stock box is OK. If your stock box is worn out, I truly believe the only viable option is another used box or the PCS big Bore (03-06).

The Currie steering linkage I'd include on both builds...its a good upgrade and there really isn't any reason to not use it on a 33" build. If we're talking optimum, why not just go all the way.

Rich, great job as always. I think one thing that could be added is some kind of upgrade to the tire carrier for the 33 or 35 inch wheel. Whether that be hinges or bumper with tire carrier is up to the end user. Otherwise a very thorough list my friend.

I agree that the difference between a 33" tire build and a 35" tire build is slight...I don't know that its only the difference of a body lift. On 33's, you need the belly clearance...so a tummy tuck is really important. However, once the body lift is there, you run "too much" lift at 4" and lots of shock options or you run 3" springs (or some combination of 2" plus a spacer) and you run into issues with shock choices and travel balance.

Also not sure that I agree with the steering box selection you made. I'd say if it matters, you need to go fully hydro assist, otherwise the stock box is OK. If your stock box is worn out, I truly believe the only viable option is another used box or the PCS big Bore (03-06).

The Currie steering linkage I'd include on both builds...its a good upgrade and there really isn't any reason to not use it on a 33" build. If we're talking optimum, why not just go all the way.

My experiences with a stock box on 33" tires was sufficient. Once I went to 35s the stock box struggled on the Rocks. Moving to a PSC setup made all the difference in the world.

The springs are a tough one, largely because, as you've said, shock choices are not as good with 3" springs. You really need to go to the 4", if you want to get close to 10" of travel.

Agreed on the Currie comment. Having bent more than one ZJ upgrade, it's not really an option for me.

Cool write up. I am 80 percent done with a 33" build (need to address gearing and axels), so still somewhat a noob. Not sure about the need for 4" springs for 33's - With a tummy tuck and 3"+- springs I can flex it out without hitting fenders with tires (285-70-17). And I think I just learned I probably should plan on installing a trans cooler, so thanks for that. Should add new rims to your list and note the backspacing requirements are different. The list also makes it very apparent why many people on this site recommend building for 35's no matter what - the difference is pretty small so why not? That said, some like me will still want 33's to limit height for real or perceived better drivability and other reasons (I want to carry a kayak on top and every inch counts when trying to get it off).

Reactions: Sancho and Irun
Rich, great job as always. I think one thing that could be added is some kind of upgrade to the tire carrier for the 33 or 35 inch wheel. Whether that be hinges or bumper with tire carrier is up to the end user. Otherwise a very thorough list my friend.

Good catch and I'll add it!

Reactions: Sj's TJ
I realize this is a "how much can we spend" thread but however handy they might be on the trail, the inclusion of various skids has nothing to do with what is necessary to run either tire size.

One of the intents of the thread is to build a highly capable dual purpose TJ/LJ (i.e. daily driver and solid trail rig) for either 33" or 35".

A solid trail rig might imply some skids.

Reactions: Irun
One of the intents of the thread is to build a highly capable dual purpose TJ/LJ (i.e. daily driver and solid trail rig) for either 33" or 35".

Plus, there is this: "We're looking to maximize shock travel, belly height, and protect vulnerable areas underneath the Jeep." ;)

I guess I mistakenly assumed it was just a thread about running 33s vs 35s.

Reactions: MikekiM and Irun
I guess I mistakenly assumed it was just a thread about running 33s vs 35s.

You can run 33's with a spacer lift and longer shocks...If the point is simply to get 33's on a TJ, it doesn't have to be any harder than that. If you want something that performs well both on and off road without a lot of weird handling quirks (it doesn't have to be a "jeep thing"), I'd say this list is pretty good. We might quibble a little about a couple of details, but all in all, this is a good reference for those looking to build something that will be comfortable, reliable, and high performance.

Good idea, and good list!

I may of missed it, but throw in some type of swaybar disconnects for both, and RCV axles for 35's.

Regarding the skids: I would say NOT needed for 33's, and Yes to 35's.
Plates and Skids are important, especially sliders when in a decent sized rock garden, or in the "rocks." But the frequency or likelihood of a 33 in the rocks vs a 35 in the rocks is lower. (In rocks where skids are needed)

Also, consider noting intangible concepts such as: wear and tear between 33 & 35 and COG.

Last edited:
I know some do not like them but to get the most out of either build you really have to run a body lift. So with that in mind for 33s I would run 3 inch springs. Shock choice may be a bit more challenging but that one inch less in height gives you better control arm angles, less angle on the steering linkage making for less effort in maintaining drivability. Then put your effort into raising the belly and gas tank to their fullest extent which I think would offer better performance off road compared to doing a 4 inch suspension and no body.

Good idea, and good list!

I may of missed it, but throw in some type of swaybar disconnects for both, and RCV axles for 35's.

Regarding the skids: I would say NOT needed for 33's, and Yes to 35's.
Plates and Skids are important, especially sliders when in a decent sized rock garden, or in the "rocks." But the frequency or likelihood of a 33 in the rocks vs a 35 in the rocks is lower. (In rocks where skids are needed)

Also, consider noting intangible concepts such as: wear and tear between 33 & 35 and COG.

I have 32's, built for 33's which I'll eventually get, and have used my skids on every single outing. I am on rocks and tight trails with trees/logs. Not typically lifting a tire, so nothing insane, but plenty of rigs getting body damage etc. Even the JL on 37's I wheel with regularly is dragging stuff over rocks etc. My engine skid is 1/4" steel and is bowed upward from impact... that could have been a bad day without it. So, yeah, IMO they are even more important for a 33" rig than 35! 🤣

I have 32's, built for 33's which I'll eventually get, and have used my skids on every single outing. I am on rocks and tight trails with trees/logs. Not typically lifting a tire, so nothing insane, but plenty of rigs getting body damage etc. Even the JL on 37's I wheel with regularly is dragging stuff over rocks etc. My engine skid is 1/4" steel and is bowed upward from impact... that could have been a bad day without it. So, yeah, IMO they are even more important for a 33" rig than 35! 🤣

I hear ya. I wheel a 33" tire jeep, in rocks, in rutted desert canyons, and mtns. Or combined.... rutted rocky desert mtn mining trails.
At times, my tires get in the air and my shorts get tinged brown.

My undercarriage is dinged, dented, and bent. The same can be said for my Jeep's undercarriage too! o_O

Skids are good to have, but not neccessary for any jeep to perform properly.

To be protected properly? Yes!
Skids are necessary to mitigate risk and damage.

Lockers aren't even listed, and those sure as hell are more important than skids.

Least not mentioned.... jeeps already have a gas tank skid.

Reactions: Mobusaki