A comparison of building for 33s and 35s

What's the fascination of a 34" over a 35"?

It will fit today and I don't have to do a body lift.

Also a few of us like skinnies and a 34x11 would be perfect IMO. I just don't want to run 17's on a TJ.

they work great on my 4runner

IMG-6372.jpg

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Which 400 dollar shafts are we talking about?
Well burst my bubble. East Coast Gear used to have a 4340 pair of Dana 44 axles, with Timken Bearings and a Timken 9912S seals. I looked at the price recently and it was listed at $375 for the kit. However, when I read the details, the axle shafts are now 4140. :(

Other kits in that price range are G2, which I have no experience with. :unsure:

Well burst my bubble. East Coast Gear used to have a 4340 pair of Dana 44 axles, with Timken Bearings and a Timken 9912S seals. I looked at the price recently and it was listed at $375 for the kit. However, when I read the details, the axle shafts are now 4140. :(

Other kits in that price range are G2, which I have no experience with. :unsure:

If stock 30-spline shafts are strong enough on a Dana 44 and 35's, then would 4140 be better and therefore more than sufficient? It has less carbon than 4340 and no nickel, and while it has more chromium it's not as hard as 4340 and more subject to fracturing. Or is there something I don’t know that’s wrong with 4140 for this application?

Last edited:
I thought 4140 was what you wanted in the rear because it could twist farther before yielding and 4340 was better for the u joint yokes in the front. That matches what I got from RGA last year for both axles. I think I paid in the $500 ballpark for the rears, when they were on sale at Northridge.

I thought 4140 was what you wanted in the rear because it could twist farther before yielding and 4340 was better for the u joint yokes in the front. That matches what I got from RGA last year for both axles. I think I paid in the $500 ballpark for the rears, when they were on sale at Northridge.

That is correct, you want 4140 for the rears since it allows for more deflection.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low

As I mentioned way above, that would be my preference. 4140 works better provided the heat treat is correct. (rear axle application)

Reactions: Irun