A comparison of building for 33s and 35s

That might depend on the track bar. So many of the fitment issues don't seem to be there on the Currie/RockJock track bar.

The rubicon express trackbar with their weld on bracket are on my dads Jeep and have always fit really well too. With and without a body lift at 4” lift.

Reactions: Irun
@Irun, since your original post mentions this is a daily driver AND trail rig, and mention is made of safe handling and acceleration, then what do you think about the need for a TCase with 4:1 or better ratio? I know that was a game changer for technical rock crawling for me. Helped immensely with control/handling.

@Irun, since your original post mentions this is a daily driver AND trail rig, and mention is made of safe handling and acceleration, then what do you think about the need for a TCase with 4:1 or better ratio? I know that was a game changer for technical rock crawling for me. Helped immensely with control/handling.

Not required for the auto, not low enough for a manual so there is that.

Reactions: jjvw
Not required for the auto, not low enough for a manual so there is that.

I was going to add, "unless you have an auto," and then we're back to needing upgrades in the brake department with a 2.72:1!

With the manual 5:1 or lower would be ideal as well as a hand throttle. Would a hand throttle be a good addition for every 33" or 35" build? I know I love mine for control, which is in the handling department.

With the manual 5:1 or better would be ideal as well as a hand throttle. Would a hand throttle be a good addition for every 33" or 35" build?

I hardly ever use mine for driving. It's main purpose is to make the York spin faster in the race to fill tires up. And maybe to assist in jump starting other vehicles.

Much like Blaine's comment about brakes, this is a tough sell to many I've talked to. They don't know they need it, until they know. Plus the $2500 - $3000 price tag on a used 241 case, or cost and complexity of an Atlas, makes this upgrade indigestible by many.

That is a depends on where you wheel. Up here 4:1 can be a detriment where more often you need wheel speed.

That is a depends on where you wheel. Up here 4:1 can be a detriment where more often you need wheel speed.

This is the main reason I like a Rubicrawler mated to a 241. Having the ability to switch between 2.72:1 and 4:1 is something I do routinely where I wheel. You just have to be careful to not use the 10.88:1. All that does is break stuff. If however you're running a 231, a Rubicrawler offers no real value, from my perspective. Much like the 241's 10.88:1, the 231's 7.40 is useless and will also break parts. That said, it's a upgrade I'd not recommend, due to the cost/benefit.

This is the main reason I like a Rubicrawler mated to a 241. Having the ability to switch between 2.72:1 and 4:1 is something I do routinely where I wheel. You just have to be careful to not use the 10.88:1. All that does is break stuff. If however you're running a 231, a Rubicrawler offers no real value, from my perspective. Much like the 241's 10.88:1, the 231's 7.40 is useless and will also break parts. That said, it's a upgrade I'd not recommend, due to the cost/benefit.

If you run a manual then those low ratios can certainly be of benefit as long as you drive appropriately. But this is probably better to be in its own thread.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
...be careful to not use the 10.88:1. All that does is break stuff...

...7.40 is useless and will also break parts...

I've thought about it in terms of just not having enough useful gearing between 4H and 4L but curious, where's that threshold? Seems like 4:1 is probably overrepresented in breakages vs 2.72, but I don't have the data to put it squarely on the extra torque rather than for example, the way they are used.

I've thought about it in terms of just not having enough useful gearing between 4H and 4L but curious, where's that threshold? Seems like 4:1 is probably overrepresented in breakages vs 2.72, but I don't have the data to put it squarely on the extra torque rather than for example, the way they are used.

So far, the most ideal set up that we have figured out is the Rubi Crawler with the Atlas 2.0. Very few will do it but it does exactly what we need without ratio overlap that negates a large chunk of the money spent on the set up.
With a 231 case and the crawler, you wind up with 1-1, 2.72-1 2.72-1, and 7.4-1. None of those are very good in most instances.
With a 241, you get 1-1, 2.72-1, 4-1, and the really silly 10.88-1. So, a bit of change for less than great, but good.
The Crawler with a 2.0 Atlas gets you 1-1, 2.0-1, 2.72-1, and a very good 5.44-1.

Unfortunately that is based around the 42RLE for most of it since you can't get it behind the manuals without going to the 4 speed Atlas which adds length most can't deal with. The reason I keep mentioning it as the Crawler / is because you can add the Atlas 2.0 to the Rubicrawler if you already have it installed.

So far, the most ideal set up that we have figured out is the Rubi Crawler with the Atlas 2.0. Very few will do it but it does exactly what we need without ratio overlap that negates a large chunk of the money spent on the set up.
With a 231 case and the crawler, you wind up with 1-1, 2.72-1 2.72-1, and 7.4-1. None of those are very good in most instances.
With a 241, you get 1-1, 2.72-1, 4-1, and the really silly 10.88-1. So, a bit of change for less than great, but good.
The Crawler with a 2.0 Atlas gets you 1-1, 2.0-1, 2.72-1, and a very good 5.44-1.

Unfortunately that is based around the 42RLE for most of it since you can't get it behind the manuals without going to the 4 speed Atlas which adds length most can't deal with. The reason I keep mentioning it as the Crawler / is because you can add the Atlas 2.0 to the Rubicrawler if you already have it installed.

Its funny this is being discussed today...last night I was dreaming/Planning the next stages of my build and looking through old t-cases that have a 2:1 ratio. The old Spicer 20 does...I don't know how that packages in a TJ...I know it would need a flip kit, and just like junkyard axles, it probably doesn't pencil out if you value your time even a little bit.

At more than $5k for the pair, I can see why very few would go this route. Given the cost of a used 241 now, if I were going to need multiple ratios, I don't see other options that don't require a lot of work in terms of parts and time.

Reactions: mrblaine
A few exceptions I notice. The heat treated tie rod isn't even close to mandatory. It is useful, not required. That is more of a find out first but the option is there. Second thing is brakes. Brakes are a very tough sell. Best to consider it as finding out first if you need something more than you have but know there is a solution. If it was as absolute as it sounds on the chart, I wouldn't be able to keep them in stock and that just isn't true.

My most common local customer is the owner of a TJ Unlimited on 37's who has wheeled it for several years on 35's with stock brakes. We all know he should have done something before the 37's, but they don't. The second most common comment I get about brakes for any size tire is "Yeah, I need to do something, I put that Power Stop stuff on and I think it got worse".

I have only your pads on my jeep with 35’s and a manual. I have not once thought I needed more stopping power. I can very easily lock them up with no issue, or throw people into the dash with out warning!

I’m sure the manual helps me a lot on trails in 4low. I do feel like I have one of the better braking jeeps for unknown reasons, as I have read that some jeeps just stop better than others.

In no way am I saying good brakes are not important, just in my case the pads seem to work for me

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I have only your pads on my jeep with 35’s and a manual. I have not once thought I needed more stopping power. I can very easily lock them up with no issue, or throw people into the dash with out warning!

I’m sure the manual helps me a lot on trails in 4low. I do feel like I have one of the better braking jeeps for unknown reasons, as I have read that some jeeps just stop better than others.

In no way am I saying good brakes are not important, just in my case the pads seem to work for me

One thing I'll say about going to the Big Brake Kit after the BMB pads is that the brake modulation is much nicer. And the braking ability is improved even more so. But the modulation doesn't get mentioned very often.

And an automatic helps more on the trails than a manual. 🤫

One thing I'll say about going to the Big Brake Kit after the BMB pads is that the brake modulation is much nicer. And the braking ability is improved even more so. But the modulation doesn't get mentioned very often.

And an automatic helps more on the trails than a manual. 🤫

Only if you are a poor driver! I kid! I kid! I would prefer if I had an auto, but I don’t do to bad with a manual…