A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

As long as they don’t search for lemon party they may survive.
One of the reasons for the demise of Jeeps Unlimited was the AZ Bastard Army got offended that they were not allowed to troll the tech sections, the PTB, moderators and admins basically confined them all to the off topic forum. What lead up to that was the trolling of tech with posted pics of goatse, lemon party, tub girl, and similar any time they felt a bit put upon. Sadly they ruined what was once a great place. They would post up phone numbers of folks like Jerry and his wife's work number with requests to call and harass her. They also signed up on other forums with Jerry's username and did stupid shit under his name.

The folks that ran the place could never figure out how to shut them down and keep them shut down. That chased off 1000's of members.

One of the reasons for the demise of Jeeps Unlimited was the AZ Bastard Army got offended that they were not allowed to troll the tech sections, the PTB, moderators and admins basically confined them all to the off topic forum. What lead up to that was the trolling of tech with posted pics of goatse, lemon party, tub girl, and similar any time they felt a bit put upon. Sadly they ruined what was once a great place. They would post up phone numbers of folks like Jerry and his wife's work number with requests to call and harass her. They also signed up on other forums with Jerry's username and did stupid shit under his name.

The folks that ran the place could never figure out how to shut them down and keep them shut down. That chased off 1000's of members.

AZ Bastard Army? A Google search yields no results.

AZ Bastard Army? A Google search yields no results.
Group of shitheads that called themselves that. One or two were in the Phoenix area. Another favorite trick of theirs was the phone service for the deaf. You call into an operator via computer and type in the message. She has to repeat verbally to the hearing person what you type. They were pretty rude with that one and took great delight in posting up what they made the operators say to the unsuspecting victims.

Group of shitheads that called themselves that. One or two were in the Phoenix area. Another favorite trick of theirs was the phone service for the deaf. You call into an operator via computer and type in the message. She has to repeat verbally to the hearing person what you type. They were pretty rude with that one and took great delight in posting up what they made the operators say to the unsuspecting victims.
Wow, these trolls make any of the trolls have had here pale in comparison.

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
Like I said, they ruined JU because they couldn't and didn't have the tools to deal with them. They were just miserable people.
It sounds like it. That’s just nuts.

Anyone ever find out who they really were?

You likely only added a small amount to each side. The difference will what a unit bearing weighs versus the bearings, wheel hub, hub lock, and spindle. I'm going to guess sub 5 pounds per side.
I haven't opened the box yet, but completely forgot that replacement rotors are in there. That's certainly the bulk of the weight.

Out of curiosity, how much needs to be machined off on stock rotors for them to fit? And, is it safe to do so?

Last edited:
A question I have is why the locking hubs? By all accounts, you're keeping this light and small (31's, right?). If that is the case, I wouldn't think anything deeper than a 4.11 gearset would be required. Typically, vibs don't start until you get up into the 4.88's and higher from what I've read.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, just curious why you think you need to.

I haven't opened the box yet, but completely forgot that replacement rotors are in there. That's certainly the bulk of the weight.

Out of curiosity, how much needs to be machined off on stock rotors for them to fit? And, is it safe to do so?
For the small hub kit, you just need to open up the center bore so it fits the snout on the back of the bearing hub. I don't believe you can do the late model rotors without a spacer since the kit is based on the earlier full cast rotor which is deeper. I need to check that to verify though.

Reactions: Irun
Dug through my parts and found some replacement fender lights. Previous owner got creative and used a drilled in screw to hold one of the lights in place!
U4uqiKn.jpg

WOvjWC4.jpg

The front fender flares are also faded and had duct tape residue. I made a first pass at cleaning them up. I'll be removing all of them to buff the paint. It's likely they will all get painted at that time.
pJAHHug.jpg

OmvoqoW.jpg

I also found a battery hold down in the parts bin and cleaned, painted, and installed that. I did manage to find a jack and the handle that goes into the jack. Sadly, I did not have the lug wrench!

A question I have is why the locking hubs? By all accounts, you're keeping this light and small (31's, right?). If that is the case, I wouldn't think anything deeper than a 4.11 gearset would be required. Typically, vibs don't start until you get up into the 4.88's and higher from what I've read.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, just curious why you think you need to.
It's not a matter of need too, but rather want too. I've run the large, 5 on 5.5 Warn hub conversion on my LJ for over 7 years now. I don't like spinning the driveshaft or R&P, if I don't have to. Also, I'll be installing a Dana 44 Rubicon rear, along with a Dana 30, with Detroit TrueTrac up front. Both are geared to 4.10. I know this combination can be driven on the street without a hub conversion, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Wildman
It's not a matter of need too, but rather want too. I've run the large, 5 on 5.5 Warn hub conversion on my LJ for over 7 years now. I don't like spinning the driveshaft or R&P, if I don't have to. Also, I'll be installing a Dana 44 Rubicon rear, along with a Dana 30, with Detroit TrueTrac up front. Both are geared to 4.10. I know this combination can be driven on the street without a hub conversion, but that's not what I'm looking for.
Driving 4h on street if in snow ect would be convinient too without stressing the front axle with the true trac right?

Reactions: Irun
Replaced all the dash lights with LED. Red for the cluster and white for the HVAC and Switches. While I was there, I also replaced the busted center black bezel with a silver one I had.
qr1e60u.jpg

I happened to have a full stock switch pod, so that went in for future use!
yU4yrir.jpg

Replaced the stock tail light bulbs with some LEDs I had. This is a rare occasion where I say thank God for California. Zero rust in there!
d0p32Y4.jpg

The last thing for this weekend was replace the blower resistor and repair the inoperable 3rd brake light.