A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

The current soft top is in rough shape. For a replacement, I ordered a Sierra Offroad top. I know these aren't Bestop quality, but they are a good alternative, if you're looking for something very reasonably priced. I installed the sailcloth version on two previous TJs and both held up fairly well. The only complaint I had was that they didn't fit as tightly as a factory top.

The one I picked this time is marketed as twill, but it's really just a twill look. They call it "Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl", which sounds like marketing crap. I'll provide a review when I do the install this weekend!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECJ46SW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Nice! I just picked up a soft top in oregon on my way back down to san antonio. Just orderer the khaki diamond from them. Amazing price.
One of the things I've noticed about their tops is they don't hold up well if you fold them down frequently. Otherwise, they are a very good top for the money.

Reactions: Tldelaney
It's not a matter of need too, but rather want too. I've run the large, 5 on 5.5 Warn hub conversion on my LJ for over 7 years now. I don't like spinning the driveshaft or R&P, if I don't have to. Also, I'll be installing a Dana 44 Rubicon rear, along with a Dana 30, with Detroit TrueTrac up front. Both are geared to 4.10. I know this combination can be driven on the street without a hub conversion, but that's not what I'm looking for.
This is a pet peeve of mine as well, all that stuff turning for no reason. I don't wheel any more but I never understood what is so wrong with getting out and locking hubs.

Reactions: lowranger and Irun
Thanks for the heads up. Do they just loosen up or does the fabric come apart?
They seem to stretch a little and are more prone to getting punctured. It's not enough that I wouldn't buy one, just that you need to be a little more careful when folding them. I generally leave the top up anyway, and just remove all the windows.

Had a bunch of stickers that were inconsistent with my personality and interests. Time for them to go!

Passenger rear before
4zYbinV.jpg

Passenger rear after
uWQLC67.jpg

Driver side rear before
D3m8vXC.jpg

Driver side rear after
UFcVYXt.jpg

That new bauer polisher from HF is tits money compared to their older model. Does alot more in a lot less time and they have quite a selection for their premium foam pads as well. 👍 now, they just need to make a mini 3 inch or smaller.

Disassembled the rest of the rear
ni2GX6J.jpg

Removed the rest of the grim, then used the random polisher to bring this old paint job back to life
UemDCah.jpg

Then repainted, cleaned, and treated all the plastic. Rear is now done!
Ed5V1ly.jpg

That new bauer polisher from HF is tits money compared to their older model. Does alot more in a lot less time and they have quite a selection for their premium foam pads as well. 👍 now, they just need to make a mini 3 inch or smaller.
I've used a rotary polisher for decades. They require practice and skill, so you don't burn through the paint. This random orbital is amazing. Anybody can pick one up and achieve amazing results, with zero fear!

I can't believe you didn't like all those stickers....lol.
Looks great now. 🍻

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
What compound did you use for those foam pads?
I tend to use Meguiars products. For cleaning and polishing I typically use their Dual Action Cleaner/Polisher. It's a light/medium cut, but usually works well for most vehicles and situations. If the hood or roof has deep acid rain marks, I'll use their heavy cut cleaner, then follow up with the light/medium cleaner/polisher, then hit it with wax.

6HJRssZ.jpg

Spent a few hours on the passenger side today. Removed flares and mirror, then did a clean, polish, and 2 coats of wax. The new random orbit buffer did an amazing job. I was probably more excited by the fact that every nutsert bolt came out easily. First time I've every pulled flares without breaking one!

pE2xuuj.jpg

Bw1ORwn.jpg