A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

Also, detailed under the hood and engine compartment

KIpTrnv.jpg

wjP0hQy.jpg

I've been going back and fourth on nailing down the rear bumper. This is an important decision and needs to be figured out soon, so I can install the new fuel pump and Savvy gas tank skid sitting in the garage. I've already ordered the Savvy front bumper and am considering their rear bumper as well. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I can't tow a small trailer or install a cargo basket with it.

If I have to go with a steel bumper, I'm considering:

https://nextventuremotorsports.com/products/tj-457
https://undercoverfab.com/jeep-tj-lj-97-06/201-ucf-aluminum-rear-bumper-for-jeep-yj-tj.html
Both of these bumpers would work for towing or running a basket. I honestly don't know how much I would do that, but like the option to do so. On the flip side, the Savvy bumper weighs about 30 lbs less and keeps me true to the nature of this build. FWIW, I have a full size truck and aluminum trailer for towing the Jeep.

Reactions: Tob and TJ Starting
1) If we swap, you are welcome to my trailer hitch that I was setting up to be able to quicky install/remove. I'm still digging through that midnight LJR thread trying to find out what Blaine did for him to copy it lol.

B- If you do go another route, put me at the head of the line to buy the UCF bumper please

III. I want to see your trailer.

Reactions: Irun
1) If we swap, you are welcome to my trailer hitch that I was setting up to be able to quicky install/remove. I'm still digging through that midnight LJR thread trying to find out what Blaine did for him to copy it lol.

B- If you do go another route, put me at the head of the line to buy the UCF bumper please

III. I want to see your trailer.
In the celebration of OCD that this thread is, it kills me that you went conventional numeral 1 followed by closed bracket, letter B followed by a dash then Roman III followed by a period to denote your points. Kills me 😂😂😂😂

I've been going back and fourth on nailing down the rear bumper. This is an important decision and needs to be figured out soon, so I can install the new fuel pump and Savvy gas tank skid sitting in the garage. I've already ordered the Savvy front bumper and am considering their rear bumper as well. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I can't tow a small trailer or install a cargo basket with it.

https://undercoverfab.com/jeep-tj-lj-97-06/201-ucf-aluminum-rear-bumper-for-jeep-yj-tj.html
Both of these bumpers would work for towing or running a basket. I honestly don't know how much I would do that, but like the option to do so. On the flip side, the Savvy bumper weighs about 30 lbs less and keeps me true to the nature of this build. FWIW, I have a full size truck and aluminum trailer for towing the Jeep.

I‘d say get the UFC one or the lightest steel one that you can tow with. You may not do it often, but if you want/need to you wish you had went that direction. It could still be true to the nature of your build. There are always compromises. :)

I really liked the Swag rear bumper. I used it for a bike rack and towing a M100 1/4 ton military trailer with frame tie-in brackets. I'd throw the safety chain hooks through the dimple die holes on the plate. Of all the enhanced cross member bumpers, I like the looks of the Swag the best.

57053E0F-020B-400E-AD06-22BCA80E8E53.jpeg

The Next Venture would probably be a close second for that type. I prefer how the Swag tube goes further across, which I would think helps getting the load from the hitch closer to the frame and putting less force into the crossmember. But it probably doesn't make that much of a difference. And they both are boxed around the ends.

I‘d say get the UFC one or the lightest steel one that you can tow with. You may not do it often, but if you want/need to you wish you had went that direction. It could still be true to the nature of your build. There are always compromises. :)
The other plus side of the UCF bumper, besides the fact that I have the swing out tire carrier version on my LJ, is the style would be consistent front and rear. My OCD might not be able to handle the imbalance! ;)
I really liked the Swag rear bumper. I used it for a bike rack and towing a M100 1/4 ton military trailer with frame tie-in brackets. I'd throw the safety chain hooks through the dimple die holes on the plate. Of all the enhanced cross member bumpers, I like the looks of the Swag the best.

View attachment 220910

The Next Venture would probably be a close second for that type. I prefer how the Swag tube goes further across, which I would think helps getting the load from the hitch closer to the frame and putting less force into the crossmember. But it probably doesn't make that much of a difference. And they both are boxed around the ends.
I actually looked at the SWAG bumper and like that one also. What's really making me lean in the direction of NV is they're offering free shipping now. That makes the cost close between the two, and I don't have to do the welding.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I actually looked at the SWAG bumper and like that one also. What's really making me lean in the direction of NV is they're offering free shipping now. That makes the cost close between the two, and I don't have to do the welding.

I bought mine welded last time. I reached out this fall to see if/when they were going to offer it fully welded again and they expected it would be soon... The shop they used for that had some extended COVID impacts and weren't in a position to do the work. But I see it's still only offered as a kit. That would push me to the NV as well.

The cargo basket/tray is a nice option to have. I have used it many times on trips, gives a decent amount of extra space and easily removed.

Reactions: Tob and Irun
Just thought I'd throw out an idea since it looks like your bumper choices are minimalist type. I was looking to do away with my stock bumper and have a hitch. I had a drawbar brand hitch and thought I could do something with it. I cut the ends off and welded on some angle iron. Between it and the cross member is a piece of 1/4" flatbar just to cover the cross member. Not the grandest design but simple and i like the look.

20200920_072226.jpg

I’ve seen blaine talk about this with the savvy bumper but I’m not sure an aluminum bumper is the best choice if you want to carry a basket. The cyclical loading from the bouncing stresses the aluminum in a way that causes it to break over time. The tow hitch in those aluminum bumpers is meant for straight pulls.

Reactions: JMT and Irun

That's exactly why I'm looking at steel, or this hybrid. It has a steel inner core, with an outer aluminum cover. This is the carrier version, which I have on my LJ.

40Bfcyy.jpg

I’ve seen blaine talk about this with the savvy bumper but I’m not sure an aluminum bumper is the best choice if you want to carry a basket. The cyclical loading from the bouncing stresses the aluminum in a way that causes it to break over time. The tow hitch in those aluminum bumpers is meant for straight pulls.
I followed this discussion, which was very informative. If I add a Savvy rear bumper, there would be no basket, bike rack, or road towing. The receiver would be used for its intended purpose, i.e. extraction. (y)

I followed this discussion, which was very informative. If I add a Savvy rear bumper, there would be no basket, bike rack, or road towing. The receiver would be used for its intended purpose, i.e. extraction. (y)
Unless you run a factory like hitch receiver.

Get the Savvy aluminum. It’s extremely light and will match your front bumper too.

Ahh I guess I didn’t think it was savvy specific. I was under the impression that the problem was for all aluminum bumpers