A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

Ugh...SO PAINFUL!!!! Unfortunately, a "standard" U nut won't clip onto the exhaust manifold. The std U-nut is designed for a panel thickness up to 6 mm (about a quarter inch). The casting is nearly 1/2" thick...which means they don't fit. I can't believe I just spent over a hundred dollars (after tax) for four nuts and four bolts...

1674932950902.png

With an unwillingness to sit on my hands, and an inability to put the "big stuff" on that I need to put on so I can try to test fire this thing, I resorted to little detail stuff this weekend. Got my Heat shield installed (that I've had for two years). My original manifold shield was garbage and I removed it a while ago. Bought the DEI kit to replace it. Its not terribly hot where I live, so Heat soak hasn't yet been an issue, but I don't want it to be either.

1675027279285.png

I guess I did get another big chunk installed...Transfer Case is in. Needed to do that so I could finish routing wires and vent tubes. This is a new run of wires heading down the driver's frame rail. This exists because I relocated my locker pumps to the ABS tray. It includes the sensor wires, the Air Supply tube, and my Speedohealer cable.

Building the harness

1675027489334.png

All loomed and tied up nicely

1675027578547.png

Got my starter installed too. I need to go get some different bolts, but these will work temporarily. Once is a touch too short and one is a touch too long.

1675027645839.png

This part of the project take SO much time. I even had to make a couple brackets to hold the wire for my temp sensor. One little Z-bend bracket to give it a good mount near the temp probe. Needed a Z-bend to clear the stiffening rib of the transmission pan. Then I used a small flat one with two holes to route the signal wire up to the tunnel where I decided to pass that wire through the insulation of the floor shifter plate. Those dumb brackets probably took me an hour to make (including paint).

Hopefully I get the hardware required for my downtubes early next week. Ebay said Thursday, but cross my fingers that they get on the ball and I get em earlier than that.

Finally getting some of the big parts installed again. Not being able to bolt the down pipe in last weekend really delayed the project. Got my parts in and got to work.

On a side note, the engineer (s) responsible for the shit design of that mounting system deserve to drug behind a pickup truck for a mile. Then left for the crows to pick their bones clean. Absolutely terrible.

Anyway, I got the down pipe/cats installed so I could reinstall my fender. Feels good to see a complete looking Jeep again

973DA689-82FC-47EC-AEC3-80068DD0AE79.jpeg

I also got most of the stuff that mounts to the fender back on, including the new transmission controller!

15BDFACF-15F2-453A-845E-D3EB469B31B1.jpeg

I still have a fair bit of work to do, but I’m going to try and get it done this week. My 4x4 club is doing a snow run next weekend that I’d like to go on. I should get most of the work done this weekend

On a side note, the engineer (s) responsible for the shit design of that mounting system deserve to drug behind a pickup truck for a mile. Then left for the crows to pick their bones clean. Absolutely terrible.

I recall a similar sentiment not too long ago 😉
Mid-project rant; Whoever designed this exhaust system with the cats directly below the mounting bolts deserves to be fucking shot.

Reactions: Mike_H
Finally getting some of the big parts installed again. Not being able to bolt the down pipe in last weekend really delayed the project. Got my parts in and got to work.

Anyway, I got the down pipe/cats installed so I could reinstall my fender. Feels good to see a complete looking Jeep again

View attachment 397256

I also got most of the stuff that mounts to the fender back on, including the new transmission controller!

View attachment 397257

I still have a fair bit of work to do, but I’m going to try and get it done this week. My 4x4 club is doing a snow run next weekend that I’d like to go on. I should get most of the work done this weekend

I recall a similar sentiment not too long ago 😉

Yep, that is a real PIA and I use an abundance of 4 letter words every time I need to do one! 🤬

Reactions: Jamison C
It runs! Test fired this evening, before I "finish" the project. No issues at this point, fired right up (well, after the fuel system primed itself and all that good stuff).

Now, to finish. I have some more wires to tie up, I need to re-route my winch power due to finding some chafing on the covers, and finish my interior. Also need to go through some testing and make sure the safeties work properly (can't start in drive, shift out of park without foot on brake, etc).

I did make one minor boo-boo (even after @mrblaine warned me). I missed tightening one of my transmission cooler fittings, and it leaked about a pint on the floor.

1675826140106.png

I do need to publicly thank Blaine. He was ALWAYS willing to take a call and walk me thru different parts of this process (and I'm sure I'll have more questions). He helped with advice, little parts that are necessary but impossible to find, more advice, and just overall being supportive. I don't want to say couldn't have done it without him, but it would have been MUCH harder and the final result would not have been as good...that is certain. While this is technically a bolt in mod...it was MUCH more challenging that swapping the tub. This project gets into the vehicle controls, safety measures, etc. Especially in my case without an automatic jeep to reference and look at.

Anyway...On to the final lap!

Last edited:
It runs! Test fired this evening, before I "finish" the project. No issues at this point, fired right up (well, after the fuel system primed itself and all that good stuff).

Now, to finish. I have some more wires to tie up, I need to re-route my winch power due to finding some chafing on the covers, and finish my interior. Also need to go through some testing and make sure the safeties work properly (can't start in drive, shift out of park without foot on brake, etc).

I did make one minor boo-boo (even after @mrblaine warned me). I missed tightening one of my transmission cooler fittings, and it leaked about a pint on the floor.

I do need to publicly thank Blaine. He was ALWAYS willing to take a call and walk me thru different parts of this process (and I'm sure I'll have more questions). He helped with advice, little parts that are necessary but impossible to find, more advice, and just overall being supportive. I don't want to say couldn't have done it without him, but it would have been MUCH harder and the final result would not have been as good...that is certain. While this is technically a bolt in mod...it was MUCH more challenging that swapping the tub. This project gets into the vehicle controls, safety measures, etc. Especially in my case without an automatic jeep to reference and look at.

Anyway...On to the final lap!

We all get to the destination, smoothing out the journey some is what makes it all worthwhile.

Mike,

Congratulations, this is no small feat. I helped a buddy swap in the other direction, from automatic to manual. It's was certainly not like the old days, pre-computers, when doing so was relatively easy. I'm not sure why, but the biggest pain with that swap was getting the manual pedal assembly and all the clutch components working correctly. For your setup, I saw you used a Setrab cooler. That's one I haven't tried and will be very curious to see what your transmission temperatures run in the Summer, especially when wheeling. Nicely done! (y)

Last couple days I've been working on electrical and exhaust. Electrical in I'm wiring independent switches to my front and rear lockers. But because I'm a weirdo...I'm also keeping the dash indicators and I have lighted switches that will turn on with the headlights and indicate when they are "on." However, since the Rubicon uses Negative logic through the PCM to control the lockers, the switches don't work the way you expect them to...they work backward (+ goes to the negative poles of the switch). No biggie, right? Well...when you have an switch that had LED indicators, polarity is important. I dicked around with the switches for FAR too long, but I did finally get it figured out. I'll maybe post a "how-to" in the future. It turned out to be pretty easy, but I made it much more difficult forgetting that part about negative logic. I also ruined a circuit board in one of my switches in the process, so I'm waiting on another one...Education is expensive (or Stupid Tax).

The next challenge was installing my exhaust. I was running a MagnaFlow. It was in decent shape, but not great. I know it was leaking at the muffler/tailpipe joint, I had already welded the canister seam once, and I was ready for a change. It sounded nice, but it never really fit that well. So, I ordered a tailpipe and muffler from Walker. Got the Quietflow muffler...and its about 22.5" long. With my tummy tuck, the muffler needs to be about 20" long to miss the upper control arm mount. So, after trying LOTS of different ways to make it fit, I decided to modify my cat pipe and take the two inches out of it.

I wrapped one wrap of 2" wide masking tape on it and got to cutting!

1676338190523.png

Mocked up with a 2 1/4 ID Exhaust connector

1676338276257.png

Welded the first piece on
1676338331842.png

And finally welded it in the Jeep. This was very challenging, but I got it done. The welds aren't pretty, especially around the top of the tube where I was trying to get my torch in to the area between the exhaust and the tub.

1676338425485.png

Happy to report that the Muffler fits pretty well now, and I shouldn't have any issues with it clunking against the upper control arm mount.

Finally I removed about an inch and a half of the hanger to get the Cat and muffler spaced a bit further away from the tub after the skid plate is mounted. This is the second one I've done and for a shitty as the frame welds are on the jeep, they the exhaust hanger to transmission mount RIGHT. Fully welded and deeply penetrated. They are a giant pain to cut off.

The removed piece

1676338608303.png

and all stuck back together

1676338679056.png

That was the last big project I have to complete. My welds are cooling and I'm heading in for a bourbon and relax. I should be driving this week. I may take Friday off to finish it up. I haven't taken a day off since Thanksgiving...so I think I'm due!

Got my muffler mounted up tonight. Pretty happy with how it turned out. First time welding exhaust tubing. Here is the clearance I gained on the rear uca mount. The muffler was into that bolt, HARD, before the modification.

C3F2E400-23D6-49EF-826A-4F27B964C24F.jpeg

And since mods beget mods, I will need to cut and move my tailpipe hangers to match the muffler’s new position.
9F9A7FFC-4ABB-4327-89FF-340B877EAF01.jpeg

DE3596F9-97A0-4FF7-AA27-D05D7A921AB0.jpeg

Got my muffler mounted up tonight. Pretty happy with how it turned out. First time welding exhaust tubing. Here is the clearance I gained on the rear uca mount. The muffler was into that bolt, HARD, before the modification.

View attachment 400536

And since mods beget mods, I will need to cut and move my tailpipe hangers to match the muffler’s new position.

View attachment 400538

View attachment 400539

I love the picture of the distance between the hanger and the muffler. I can identify with that. 🤣

Reactions: DrDmoney
I kinda miss the days when a "bolt on" mod was actually bolt on. I have, oh, I don't know, 5 hours, into fitting this stupid exhaust. 5 HOURS!!! For a factory replacement, non-performance, crinkle wall bend exhaust system. Its done though, and it did come out well. I have clearance everywhere I need it and its hanging from its hangers pretty nicely.

1676599656486.png

1676599685341.png

Since I can't stand the look of the crinkle wall bends, I cut the downturn off with a standard slash cut. Hopefully it doesn't cook my fuel tank skid. If it does, I'll buy a turndown tip to bolt on. I even managed to get some clearance between the shock body and the tailpipe...which is something I've actually never had. My shocks have always rubbed the tailpipe.

1676599709961.png

And, for the first time in two and a half months...The transmission is supported by the skid and not a jack stand!

1676599895559.png

Everything underneath is tied up, Driveshafts are in. I have a few electrical things to finish (the never ending switch saga, radio re-install, new horns, and giving all the connectors from my relocated locker pumps a place to live). I should be test driving this weekend, assuming the weather isn't total dogshit (like it is right now).

I kinda miss the days when a "bolt on" mod was actually bolt on. I have, oh, I don't know, 5 hours, into fitting this stupid exhaust. 5 HOURS!!! For a factory replacement, non-performance, crinkle wall bend exhaust system. Its done though, and it did come out well. I have clearance everywhere I need it and its hanging from its hangers pretty nicely.

View attachment 400924

View attachment 400926

Since I can't stand the look of the crinkle wall bends, I cut the downturn off with a standard slash cut. Hopefully it doesn't cook my fuel tank skid. If it does, I'll buy a turndown tip to bolt on. I even managed to get some clearance between the shock body and the tailpipe...which is something I've actually never had. My shocks have always rubbed the tailpipe.

View attachment 400928

And, for the first time in two and a half months...The transmission is supported by the skid and not a jack stand!

View attachment 400930

Everything underneath is tied up, Driveshafts are in. I have a few electrical things to finish (the never ending switch saga, radio re-install, new horns, and giving all the connectors from my relocated locker pumps a place to live). I should be test driving this weekend, assuming the weather isn't total dogshit (like it is right now).

The only thing I hate worse than doing exhaust is paying a shop to fuck it up worse than I do it.

The only thing I hate worse than doing exhaust is paying a shop to fuck it up worse than I do it.

I was pretty happy when I fired it up to listen for leaks. It was quiet. I’ve had a magnaflow for about as long as I’ve had the Jeep and the racket that that entails. It’s not bad, but it’s not a pushrod V8 either.

I also replaced my intake and exhaust manifold. 150,000+ miles, figured it couldn’t hurt. Plus, I had a noise at idle that I wasn’t sure what to make of it. Lifter tick, piston slap, something. It’s silent now…runs like a damn Singer sewing machine.

Cut the exhaust end off 6", rotate 45° and weld it back on. The longer backside will keep the heat off the skid and the fumes blowing out the side.

Reactions: Mike_H and DrDmoney
After almost 3 years of living with the chinese virus, my wife and I finally got it. Pretty sure I gave it to her, but I have no idea where I picked it up. My symptoms were that of a bad sinus infection. She couldn't get out of bed for about 4 days. That has slowed progress on the jeep considerably. The fatigue that comes with Covid is no joke!

Anyway, I'm back at it. Mostly recovered, though I still have congestion and I can tell I'm not 100%, but I have been working on getting the last few details wrapped up. Things like getting the radio and amp hooked back in, troubleshooting the things that don't work after tearing so much of the jeep apart and just going through and making sure things are ready for the first drive. I've also added a couple projects along the way. One of them was my bull bar that I got parts for a month or so ago. Last weekend, I had some free time waiting on other pieces and parts, so I thought I'd tackle welding that up.

Here are the parts I got from Send Cut Send. Great response and I got exactly what I designed. It was less than a week and pretty reasonably priced as well.

1677970510206.png

Bolted them down on the bumper and tacked up the Barnes Bull bar. Can't beat it for the 40 or so dollars that it cost

https://barnes4wd.com/products/miter-cut-diy-bull-bar?_pos=1&_sid=d7717f57c&_ss=r
It has, in my opinion, the perfect angle height and spread for a TJ. It just plain fits. The ONLY thing I didn't care for is that it appears that they miter cut the tube ends before they bent it and that caused some difficulty for me. You can see the gap in the second picture that I filled with my welder. With the WRG safety thimble fairlead, I had to make sure there was clearance between the bar and the thimble to make everything work together. I think I would almost prefer the Old Viking tube mount for a thimble. I may work on something like that.

1677970697161.png

1677970713886.png

This weekend, I worked on painting it. Used my favorite paint for exterior trim type stuff (Rustoleum Spray bedliner) and got it cleaned up. Here it is, all mounted with fresh hardware

1677971190536.png

1677971204862.png

I'm really happy with how this turned out. Been looking for something like this for a while and was contemplating buying some DOM and trying to bend it myself (I have a friend with a bender). This was WAY easier.

The other project I've been working on has been the shifter trim plate for the Auto. The one I got with my transmission fit VERY loosely and had a broken tab...Then Another one broke. These dumb things are like 135 dollars on ebay, if you can find em. I figured I had all the pieces and parts, I just needed some tabs...so I took it all apart and made a 3d Printed trim cover that I can screw the rest of the assembly to.

Here it is, fresh out of the printer

1677971488523.png

1677971513032.png

I worked it a little bit with sandpaper and bondo to get it nice and smooth, then painted it to kinda match the original (smooth around the cutouts and textured everywhere else. This also turned out very well. My sheen doesn't match exactly, but its close enough for me. I used satin finish black paint on the cutouts and the bedliner for the rest of it. Here is how it compares to the original

1677971656477.png

Close up to show texture of bedliner. The original is on top
1677971734802.png

Fully assembled and installed in the center console. This also turned out VERY well. There are a couple revisions I need to make to the model and printing process, but I may make these available to people who need them.

1677971696058.png

Right now, the only thing keeping me from putting the interior fully back together is my amp still isn't getting power. Not sure what's going on there, but I'll work on that after dinner.

It’s ready to test drive tomorrow! Went out after dinner and found a blown fuse on the amp. Friday, when I was supposed to be finishing the stereo, I had the positive and negative reversed on the amp. That, in turn, routed the battery positive straight to ground. I knew it popped the main fuse, which I replaced. Apparently it got the fuse in the amp too. Replaced that and everything works. So, I reassembled my interior.

Project complete!

328BA73F-E8B3-4768-835D-72D4153498C4.jpeg

It’s ready to test drive tomorrow! Went out after dinner and found a blown fuse on the amp. Friday, when I was supposed to be finishing the stereo, I had the positive and negative reversed on the amp. That, in turn, routed the battery positive straight to ground. I knew it popped the main fuse, which I replaced. Apparently it got the fuse in the amp too. Replaced that and everything works. So, I reassembled my interior.

Project complete!

View attachment 404932

That looks awesome. Quite a change!

Reactions: Mike_H