A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

That fairlead mount is bugging me.

Me too. Not sure why it's like that. My fairlead either mounts offset to one side or the other.

If I had a fairlead that was an inch or so longer, then it would cover up the entire thing. Of course I looked, and it appears such a thing doesn't exist, as all fairleads appear to be the same size.

Interesting. I get what the intention is with the drum fully wrapped, but is the slot wide enough to feed the line properly on the left side?

I've never seen another bumper that does this with the fairlead mount, so I'm not sure what they were trying to solve with this design.

That fairlead mount is bugging me.
Haha yeah I also wondered why they do that too when I was looking at front bumpers, but I kind of am thinking they do that to be different. Like so you know it is a jcr at first glance. It is kind of weird, but I wonder what it would look like with a roller fairlead on it?

Haha yeah I also wondered why they do that too when I was looking at front bumpers, but I kind of am thinking they do that to be different. Like so you know it is a jcr at first glance. It is kind of weird, but I wonder what it would look like with a roller fairlead on it?

I've seen it with a roller fairlead and they are wide enough that it covers it up.

Reactions: ac_
Yeah, a roller fairlead would cover that weirdness.

Upon further inspection, the winch mounting plate itself has slotted holes, so it looks like you can position the winch about 1" left or right, so I guess they've accommodated for this by doing what they did with the hawse / fairlead mount. I'm not sure what the purpose is though still. Even if I mounted my winch to the right or left more, I could easily guide the line in the direction I wanted it to go in at.

I know there are center spool and side spool winches.

Maybe they were trying to make a bumper that would fit them both?

No real updates as of lately. My Jeep is still sitting at Jeep West waiting for Dave to do his magic. I think that Dave was accurate in saying that he'd probably have it done in 3 weeks to a month. However, the issue is when will he get to it? He hasn't even touched it yet, so it's been sitting there this entire time just waiting to be worked on. The issue is how many other Jeeps there are out there. I'm not kidding when I say that that place is just overflowing with Jeeps in the parking lot.

At this rate I am honestly thinking there is no way it will be done before Christmas. I wanted to think I'd have it back before then, but I dropped it off on November 12th, so it's getting close to a month that it's been there and still nothing. Given how long @psrivats' Jeep has been there, I'm thinking he probably won't even get to it until January.

It really sucks that there's no other place (not that I know of at least) in Oregon that specializes in this sort of fabrication and what not. If that were the case I may have just bought the Savvy mid-arm and taken it to a less busy place who could install it, outboard the rear shocks, relocate the spring perches, etc.

The problem is, Jeep West seems to be the only one!

Oh well, all I can really do is be patient at this point. Just sucks to know it's sitting there with nothing happening at all.

IMO, with builders like Dave, you are buying the quality of the work. The timeframe is secondary, within some reason. Once you get it back, you will likely be very pleased with the result.

I agree! Dave is the only one I really would trust besides Blaine. That being said, I don’t mind waiting a few months if I have to. If it got to 4 months of waiting then I’d probably have to consider other options, but 2 months or so I can handle. Just sucks not being able to drive the Jeep! I’m sure you know the feeling.

Reactions: KCsTJ and psrivats
The same goes for my shop here in Chicago. There is always a huge wait time to get an appointment (somewhere around 6 weeks). Add on waiting on parts and I’m going to be around 5 months total time for my frame swap to get done. But, just like you with Jeeps West, my shop is the only one in the area that I would even consider taking my Jeep to.

Reactions: psrivats and Chris
.... Just sucks not being able to drive the Jeep! I’m sure you know the feeling.

There have been a few too many long days and nights getting everything back together so that I could drive to work in a couple hours. I say that I'll never do that to myself again...until I do it again!

You are probably going about this the right way. :)

Reactions: psrivats
There have been a few too many long days and nights getting everything back together so that I could drive to work in a couple hours. I say that I'll never do that to myself again...until I do it again!

You are probably going about this the right way. :)

I thought about just learning to weld and doing this all myself... but then I realized I'd spend far more time (and frustration) as oppose to just letting Dave do it. Plus, at least I know everything will be 100% dialed in!

Reactions: psrivats and jjvw
IMO, with builders like Dave, you are buying the quality of the work. The timeframe is secondary, within some reason. Once you get it back, you will likely be very pleased with the result.

This is exactly the reason I'm being very patient and taking the time to understand the underlying issue behind the harmonic vibrations. There is no guarantee that other places will even know of these problems. With Dave, you know that he'll take the effort to do things the right way, even if it takes time.

Reactions: jjvw
I agree! Dave is the only one I really would trust besides Blaine. That being said, I don’t mind waiting a few months if I have to. If it got to 4 months of waiting then I’d probably have to consider other options, but 2 months or so I can handle. Just sucks not being able to drive the Jeep! I’m sure you know the feeling.

I think you'll have yours before Christmas Chris. We can ask Dave next weekend. Remember, we already have some lead on the vibration, otherwise you'll be waiting longer :risas3:

I think you'll have yours before Christmas Chris. We can ask Dave next weekend. Remember, we already have some lead on the vibration, otherwise you'll be waiting longer :risas3:
He’s obviously doing the Jeeps at the order they came in at (which is only fair) so I’ll have to ask him what number I am in the queue. As for having it back by Christmas, I’m skeptical about that. Especially seeing how many other Jeeps were there when I dropped mine off!

I think Dave needs to hire some extra help. He’s certainly got the business!

Reactions: ElectricWizard