Advice on front disconnects

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey!

It is the point on my build that I have to choose some front disconnects for my 2.5" lift.

Use of my TJ: Daily driver, Highway speeds and Travelling @ 70-75 mph, and off roading

SwayLoc is out of my reach.
I thought a lot about Antirock, but I ruled it out too for this rig, since I am a little afraid of its on road body roll. I am driving on pavement a lot. Also, to be extra safe in the case that a family member or girlfriend drives it. Which doesn't happen often but just in case.

That leads me into the conclusion that I am going to need just some longer disconnects to match my 2.5" lift.

Choices over here are limited and expensive, but I have a short list:
1) RC - 185 $
2) JKS - 335 $
3) Rubicon Express - 280 $
4) Teraflex - 300 $

Please let me know what you think (I know the prices are absurd). Or if you have any other options, so I can give it a try if I can find them anywhere.

For the front you want JKS 2001. The length is determined by the angle of the anti-sway bar. They come with instructions.

JKS 2942 are for the rear. At 2.5” lift I think you need to cut them to 8.75”-9”. They also come with instructions.

Reactions: TJim
I thought a lot about Antirock, but I ruled it out too for this rig, since I am a little afraid of its on road body roll.
If you drove with me in my TJ on the curvy mountain roads my TJ is commonly on, you'd think it was doing just fine even around all the curves. Even while towing my tent trailer. Then I'd tell you I have an Antirock installed and I have it set on its loosest setting.

I grew up driving sports cars... Datsun 1600 Roadster, BMW 2002, Datsun 240Z, Triumph TR-6, then later my BMW 330ci, Genesys Coupe, and my wife's current Lexus GS 350. All handle well enough that I should be freaking out when I drive my Antirock-equipped Jeep through the mountains to go wheeling. Nope. TO ME it's handling is fine in such conditions. I recognize it's not a sports car and I simply drive it accordingly without worry or wishing it handled better. Would it handle better with something like a Swayloc? I'm told it would and I believe it. But is it good enough for me as-is? Absolutely.

But for your quick disconnect choices, a simple inexpensive one will work fine. I'd say get the JKS but then I noticed its price you quoted which is surprisingly high from what I remember. Just make sure you're on flat ground when connecting/disconnecting otherwise it will be a difficult job. :)

Look at the "budget friendly" mods on this site. For disconnects you can just remove the lower bolt and install a clevis pin of the same diameter with a bow type retainer pin and you now have quick disconnects! There, I saved you some $$$ :cool:
Many make their own with common parts at my hardware store.
Τhats a good tip! Don't I need longer end links though?

If you drove with me in my TJ on the curvy mountain roads my TJ is commonly on, you'd think it was doing just fine even around all the curves. Even while towing my tent trailer. Then I'd tell you I have an Antirock installed and I have it set on its loosest setting.

I grew up driving sports cars... Datsun 1600 Roadster, BMW 2002, Datsun 240Z, Triumph TR-6, then later my BMW 330ci, Genesys Coupe, and my wife's current Lexus GS 350. All handle well enough that I should be freaking out when I drive my Antirock-equipped Jeep through the mountains to go wheeling. Nope. TO ME it's handling is fine in such conditions. I recognize it's not a sports car and I simply drive it accordingly without worry or wishing it handled better. Would it handle better with something like a Swayloc? I'm told it would and I believe it. But is it good enough for me as-is? Absolutely.

But for your quick disconnect choices, a simple inexpensive one will work fine. I'd say get the JKS but then I noticed its price you quoted which is surprisingly high from what I remember. Just make sure you're on flat ground when connecting/disconnecting otherwise it will be a difficult job. :)

I wish I had a Datsun 1600 Roadster or a Triumph TR-6, and I am only 25. Such classy looks. Older cars looked so much sharper than the new ones.

Yes, I know the prices are absurd.

Thanks for the insight on Antirock. I will give it a little more though for a few days before I order my choice.
(I am mostly concerned about anyone else driving my TJ, but possibly this should not be a criteria in this case. My whole mentality is better safe than sorry though.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I wish I had a Datsun 1600 Roadster or a Triumph TR-6, and I am only 25. Such classy looks. Older cars looked so much sharper than the new ones.

Yes, I know the prices are absurd.

Thanks for the insight on Antirock. I will give it a little more though for a few days before I order my choice.
(I am mostly concerned about anyone else driving my TJ, but possibly this should not be a criteria in this case. My whole mentality is better safe than sorry though.)
Like I said in the other thread. Remove a link and drive it around to get a feel for it. An AR will keep it slightly flatter.

Like I said in the other thread. Remove a link and drive it around to get a feel for it.
It's totally different between the factory antiswaybar being disconnected and driving with an Antirock. Before installing the Antirock I had Teraflex's quick disconnects on my front antiswaybar. I wouldn't make it far on the way home if I had forgotten to reconnect it and it was bad enough that I'd stop to reconnect it. Not true for the Antirock, there's a night and day difference between it and a disconnected front antiswaybar.

Reactions: Bud125
It's totally different between the factory antiswaybar being disconnected and driving with an Antirock. Before installing the Antirock I had Teraflex's quick disconnects on my front antiswaybar. I wouldn't make it far on the way home if I had forgotten to reconnect it and it was bad enough that I'd stop to reconnect it. Not true for the Antirock, there's a night and day difference between it and a disconnected front antiswaybar.
I’m aware Jerry, I had an AR 10 years ago or I can go out and flip the switch of my Swayloc and feel the same thing.....it also depends on shock valving too.
But, disconnecting a stock sway will give a first timer quantifiable examples of the extremes of what a sway bar does. They can then know that the AR lies in the middle.
For a mostly street driven jeep I will recomend against an AR every time. Because it allows too much body roll in a panic lane change situation.

I love my JKS discos, think I got them off Amazon for around 200.00 for the 4" lift. Even just driving down rough dirt mountain roads I take the time to disconnect and it makes the rides much smoother (especially so coupled with a thumb throttle).

The only downside to quick disconnects is you have to be on absolutely level ground to reconnect.

Reactions: TJim and AndyG
Ι just ordered JKS 2001 front disconnects, and JKS 2942 longer rear end links!

I hope I did the right thing! Can't wait to install them!
They work well and make no noise at all. When you do the install, use loctite on the nuts and bolts.

Is it worthwhile to disconnect the antisway bar on a TJ? In Mark Smith’s guide he specifically mentions it isn’t “necessary” on a TJ.

Is it worthwhile to disconnect the antisway bar on a TJ? In Mark Smith’s guide he specifically mentions it isn’t “necessary” on a TJ.
For what purposes? Off road? Absolutely necessary? No, but the front sway bar limits some articulation in stock form. Disconnecting the front sway bar will provide some more articulation off-road, but for road use, it needs to be connected.

Reactions: HardSell and TJim