Advise on proper length of Rancho 5000X shocks, 6" lift?

copanocruisin

I am looking for advise on the proper length Rancho 5000X shocks for my 99 WRANGLER sport. It appears to have a 6" Rough Country lift, at least the current wore out shocks are rough county brand. I come up with the 6" lift was by a chart that I found on the forum. The approximate spring lengths are in the front is 18" and in the back the are 14" while sitting at ride height with the weight of the Jeep sitting on them. Allens Off Road's recommendation was to remove the current shocks and run the wheels up on a rock or ramp and to jack it up on the frame to get the travel distance. That makes great sense although not very practical for me. This jeep doesn't get worked out very hard, just an occasional mild trip to the beach and maybe a muddy ranch road once a year down here in the south Texas flat land. I also have contacted Rancho late last week, but no response yet from them. I have really enjoyed this forum and have found very much good information. Thanks and have a great day! .............cC

Do you happen to have a photo of your Jeep? Just by looking at it we can easily tell about how much lift it is.

Stock front springs at ride height are 12". So 18" front springs should be a 6" lift.
Determining what shock length you need is a combination of a lot of factors. Knowing the compressed and extended lengths of your current shocks, as well as their lengths at ride height will help us give you a starting point.

Thanks Chris, I will try to get one tomorrow afternoon if I can squeeze the time in after work. It is opening day at our Asrtos AA minor league team, the Corpus Christi Hooks. It might be after the Holday weekend at the latest. I sure appreciate it. Catch ya later......cC

Rancho does not offer a 5000x shock at that ride height.

Look into Bilstein 5100's or drop your jeep to a more stable height that suits your needs. Occasional beach or muddy road does not require 6" of lift. A stock or mild lifted (2") jeep will do what you need it to do and ride much better.

Ok, I remembered that I had a pic on the phone from when I bought it. Also PStov98T, after the holiday weekend, I will be able to get the measurements. That does make a lot of sense. Thanks guys......cC

IMG_0545.JPG

Reactions: PStov98TJ