Aftermarket stereo issues

YooperTJ

Need some stereo/electrical advice from the group. We recently swapped the stock radio/cassette on our ‘98 Sahara for a basic Sony single-DIN Bluetooth stereo. Also bought a Jeep/Chrysler wiring harness adapter and soldered it to the harness that came with the Sony. So everything plugged in quickly using the harness, except for the ground wire. We soldered that to the braided ground strap (from the back of the stock stereo) and wrapped the end with electrical tape.

Everything works fine in accessory mode, but as soon as you start up and begin driving there are multiple intermittent loss of power issues with the radio, blinkers, wipers, cigarette lighter, etc. Sometimes you can drive it for 20 minutes and sometimes 20 seconds, but it always cuts out eventually. Shutting off and restarting sometimes fixes the issue and sometimes it doesn’t. The 4-way flashers continue to work fine even when the blinkers and everything else are all dead. When the power goes out, the stereo display goes black and the music stops but the faceplate removal chimes play through the speakers so there’s definitely power getting to the stereo on the ‘always hot’ wire.

All these issues would seem to indicate a bad ignition switch since everything that fails are things that are only powered when the key is on. However, a bad ignition switch seems unlikely because as soon as we swap the stock radio back in all the electrical problems go away immediately.

This leads me to think it must be something with bad/weak ground, but not sure where to look next. We attached the stereo’s ground wire to the braided ground cable from the stock stereo based an several posts that say to do just that. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, is there something else we should consider? Or could we just have gotten a bad stereo?

The stock radio has a ground wire, you should use that and not the braid. Pictures might help but the braid is generally RF ground and not really supposed to be for power not that it wont work. If you missed the ground wire in the factory harness it is possible you made other mistakes, double and triple check that wiring, at least that's where I'd start.

Update: There are 12 wires coming out of the factory harness, and 11 of those pass through the Metra wiring harness we purchased. Eight are for the speakers, one is all-time hot, one is accessory hot, and one is for illumination/dimmer. The 12th wire that’s part of the factory harness but has no corresponding wire on the Metra harness is solid orange (4th from the top on the light grey connector in the image below). Could this wire be the ground? If so, why is it orange? And why doesn’t the Metra harness use it? Metra seems like it’s a solid brand and the harness I bought is the correct model for a 1998 Wrangler. Very strange.

In the end, it doesn’t really matter since we simply attached the black ground wire from the Sony harness to a screw behind the dash and everything is working fine now. I’d really love to know how all those folks who said they grounded their stereo to the braided strap actually got them to work. 🤷🏼‍♂️

6B83894B-7F64-49FA-95DF-93BED78803CA.jpeg

If it has lights on the stereo, glance down when the sound cuts and see if the radio lights flicker. I would check the ground, as that might cause it. I would also check the harness and make sure it is firmly connected.

P.S. - It would be better to start a new topic with your question than reviving one from three years ago.

If it has lights on the stereo, glance down when the sound cuts and see if the radio lights flicker. I would check the ground, as that might cause it. I would also check the harness and make sure it is firmly connected.

P.S. - It would be better to start a new topic with your question than reviving one from three years ago.

Thanks 👍