Air intake mod question

And BWTM- in California (thank you for your condolences) a vehicle with a CAI will not pass the bi-annual smog check.

If it is a CARB approved CAI then it will pass won't it? Don't know enough about CA smog laws since I moved from there in 93.

So, the design of the trumpet does nothing for the velocity into the intake. The filter element alone will negate that effect, then the ridges in the intake tube from the filter housing to the intake makes the air flow too turbulent for high velocity. Now, that turbulence created does a great job of mixing the air and fuel. The trumpet will compress and to an extent speed up the incoming air, but when that dense/fast air slows and expands on the filter housing, the temps drop.

Reactions: Carve
So, the design of the trumpet does nothing for the velocity into the intake.
That velocity comment on what the trumpet does came right from Jim Repp's mouth during one of several phone conversations we had. Jim Repp, now retired, was Jeep's most senior engineer who was personally responsible for the original TJ Rubicon's inception. Not a rumor, I heard him say it rather pointedly and directly why the OE air intake system is so good as designed after I asked him about it being restrictive or not. He said he specifically ordered it designed with no restriction.

How those conversations started was when he contacted me after reading some of my posts complaining about misfires and multiple '43' codes on my then-new '97 TJ. He sent me a bunch of parts to try which didn't help since the problem was later tracked down to a bad batch of engine valve springs. Jim later started feeding me tidbits about the upcoming Rubicon before its introduction to help keep the rumors at bay, like its locker design.

Here's one of many interviews with him... https://jeepblogs.azurewebsites.net...ew-jim-repp-jeep-brand-engineering/index.html

Reactions: Zorba
One engineer does not know what the rest do. They all play a role, and have their own specialty. Something as complex as a Jeep will have a team of engineers, and the ones that are in charge of one system won’t be proficient in another. A lead engineer may not know exactly what each part does, he just needs to worry that it all works together, is on time, and on budget.

I’m the lead metrology engineer at a pharmaceutical. I know what each system is supposed to do, I know what most of the instrumentation is for. I do not know the specifics of each instrument is, that’s for the area tech... I know everything has been ordered and designed into its system to work with, and compliment other systems.

Reactions: Wildman
That velocity comment on what the trumpet does came right from Jim Repp's mouth during one of several phone conversations we had. Jim Repp, now retired, was Jeep's most senior engineer who was personally responsible for the original TJ Rubicon's inception. Not a rumor, I heard him say it rather pointedly and directly why the OE air intake system is so good as designed after I asked him about it being restrictive or not. He said he specifically ordered it designed with no restriction.

How those conversations started was when he contacted me after reading some of my posts complaining about misfires and multiple '43' codes on my then-new '97 TJ. He sent me a bunch of parts to try which didn't help since the problem was later tracked down to a bad batch of engine valve springs. Jim later started feeding me tidbits about the upcoming Rubicon before its introduction to help keep the rumors at bay, like its locker design.

Here's one of many interviews with him... https://jeepblogs.azurewebsites.net...ew-jim-repp-jeep-brand-engineering/index.html

And, I never said that it wasn’t well designed, just some of its designs don’t do what you were told they do...

My only complaint with the system, there is nothing that can be done to correct, and that is it pulling hot air from under the hood.

And, I never said that it wasn’t well designed, just some of its designs don’t do what you were told they do...

My only complaint with the system, there is nothing that can be done to correct, and that is it pulling hot air from under the hood.
It's more than good enough for most of us Wrangler TJ owners. If my TJ was a dragster maybe not but it's not.

Reactions: Zorba
I would say for SOME of us who ditched the stock air intake it was to mount other items in the area the stock air box sat. When I installed a York compressor onto my 4cyl TJ it wouldn't fit with the stock air box. So I ditched it for a CIA so I could install the York.
And yes I know some would question the wisdom of doing this but back in the late 90's there were a lot of parts made that required you to remove the stock air box.

It's more than good enough for most of us Wrangler TJ owners. If my TJ was a dragster maybe not but it's not.
This we agree on. I think it's correct advice for almost every TJ owner looking to slap one on. An intake will not help your under-geared rig push 35's down the highway or even help you beat that soccer mom in her minivan on your otherwise stock TJ. Not even a little.

What I will point out though is that while most TJ's would not benefit, some would. Mine does. Are people who want more hp in a TJ stupid? In your opinion yes, but not everybody agrees, and not everybody wants to build their rig according to Jerry's specifications. Some do, and rightfully so considering your vast experience wheeling TJ's on trails and rocks and such. I value and respect your experience/advice/opinions, but I'm smart enough to know that there are many different uses, applications, and just plane old wants out there. I feel like your point about the intake has been well made and if people still want to debate the finer points of intakes on TJ's, why not let them? No need to dump all over their discussion. There does become a point where an intake will make a significant difference. That will be mostly at high rpm on a more modified motor of course, so who cares, right? Some people evidently. I do for one.

Because race car 😆

Reactions: Wildman
Stupid question maybe. But where does the Windstar intake come into play here? Is it just as good as stock but gives you room for other things?

I sold the CAI that was on my Jeep when I bought it, for 150.00 , and got a used stocker for 30.00. Absolutely no difference in power or fuel economy, and a whole lotta beer money. As a side note, picked up better filtration, with an ac Delco element.
I agree. High flow air filters flow more air by filtering less efficiently & letting in more contaminants. ‘Not worth it, especially with our Jeeps where they don’t add any power or improved fuel mileage.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Or Keuregs, smartphones, all sorts of stupidity!
I have learned to love my Keurig. :) I would have never bought one but our son bought one for my wife & I and we have grown to LOVE its speed and ability to make anything from a single regular cup, my daily 14 oz. cup, or a carafe. We don't buy Keurig coffee though, we either grind our own or use less expensive coffee in reusable pods. I always miss it when I'm out of town lol.

• Haha
Reactions: nathanotis
I have learned to love my Keurig. :) I would have never bought one but our son bought one for my wife & I and we have grown to LOVE its speed and ability to make anything from a single regular cup, my daily 14 oz. cup, or a carafe. We don't buy Keurig coffee though, we either grind our own or use less expensive coffee in reusable pods. I always miss it when I'm out of town lol.
I had one at a work location once. And it was terrific for grabbing a cup of coffee quick. That you normally wouldnt have time for. Excellent coffee too. I think we bought the coffee via costco. And it wasnt name brand. My son has a nespresso or something like that. Its ok. I preferred the keurig tho.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford