Airing down discussion

There are all kinds of air systems but the simplest and cheapest is a portable unit that you have to clamp onto your battery terminals each time.

I've been very happy with my budget Viair 88P. It is affordable (~$70), simple to use, small, lightweight, can be moved to a different vehicle on the fly, and fills tires up fast (I've used it with 35's and below).
Another vote for the Viar 88P for all the reasons listed. It's as quick as many other more expensive models I've seen people recommend and has served well for multiple vehicles/uses for me.

That looks like an absolute bear to store and unravel
Hoses are very flexible and roll up easy and each hose is warpped with an electrical cord velcro strap.
( I think the hose is "Flexilla") and it has a nice storage case.
Ya it would be a mess if you don't roll it up and just wad it into it's bag.

I usually air down to 9 for most trails. Might go a little lower for hard stuff.

I just got a set of the Coyote valves for airing down. I had selected 9PSI (labeled on the package too), but not one of the tires aired down to 9, they were all 4 different. So I plan to calibrate them in the garage this weekend.

I have been using the ARB deflator for the last few years. No complaints other than the Coyote valves will be less work.

Airing up: I have a 10lb CO2 tank. Plus I have a Viair 400H under the hood for when I have more time or run out of CO2.

I usually air down to 9 for most trails. Might go a little lower for hard stuff.

I just got a set of the Coyote valves for airing down. I had selected 9PSI (labeled on the package too), but not one of the tires aired down to 9, they were all 4 different. So I plan to calibrate them in the garage this weekend.

I have been using the ARB deflator for the last few years. No complaints other than the Coyote valves will be less work.
Same here on all that though 8 psi is my go-to pressure. I've always liked the ARB (aka Currie) deflator, it works very well and is fast since it removes the valve stem. I bought a set of Coyote deflators for convenience's sake too but after spending more time than I liked calibrating them and not getting the 8 psi I wanted from all four tires, I put them back into their little bag for a future attempt. When I get a round tuit that is.

Reactions: suicideking
Is a different PSI considered safe to not lose a bead for a 10.5 vs a 12.5 wide tire? For example 31x10.5r15 vs 33x12.50r15. On the same dimension of wheels. Let's say 15"x8" rims.

I run 29-31 psi in my 31"x10.5"r15" BF KO2s on road. What about off road? Should I be between 12-15?

I don't think the width is a major factor, but can't back that up. I don't run on lots of mud or snow, so I prefer narrower.

I went pretty conservative and run 12, but I believe that I could run lower. For sand, I think it would be an advantage.

I don't think the width is a major factor, but can't back that up. I don't run on lots of mud or snow, so I prefer narrower.

I went pretty conservative and run 12, but I believe that I could run lower. For sand, I think it would be an advantage.
I would have thought that for snow a narrow tire would be more appropriate.

Reactions: Flivver250
I would have thought that for snow a narrow tire would be more appropriate.
For packed snow and ice, or to cut down through a shallow layer of soft snow to firmer ground, narrower studless or studded tires would be my choice. For deep, soft snow, a wider tire provides some flotation.

Reactions: TJim

Width is a factor but you can't consider it in isolation. Tire width vs wheel width is more informative. Also take into account sidewall stiffness, stiffer sidewall you can air down more. Oh, and don't forget vehicle weight... more weight needs more air. Oh, and wheel size (15"vs17" etc) lol.

Having to take 4 or more measurements into account means there won't be any one good answer for a given tire size... best is to start in the 10-12 range, then go down a bit trip by trip till you find the breaking point :)

Lately I've been running my 35x12.5r16 Load range E tires on 16x8 wheels, on my 4400lb LJ down to 8psi on the rocks if that helps :)

Reactions: RMETeeJay