Airing down discussion

You should really try going lower right off the bat. If you are worried 11-12 is a VERY safe psi for most tire/wheel combo's within reason. Get down to 8-10 and the ride on small rocks is much softer and the grip on larger ones is much better as well. In snow or sand you can go even lower safely so long as you aren't carving corners at high speed.

I do go low right off the bat, usually ~10-12. I was saying I might like to start off higher (but don't so I don't slow the group down airing down on the trail) because more often my issue is ground clearance. The bigger Jeeps really dig deep ruts and when there's no choice but to put my tires in those ruts is when I really wish I was aired up (or had 35" tires!).

Reactions: xxdabroxx
I do go low right off the bat, usually ~10-12. I was saying I might like to start off higher (but don't so I don't slow the group down airing down on the trail) because more often my issue is ground clearance. The bigger Jeeps really dig deep ruts and when there's no choice but to put my tires in those ruts is when I really wish I was aired up (or had 35" tires!).
Deep ruts are their own animal. If you can't stay out of them there is only so much you can do based on tire diameter.

In my '98 XJ 4.0L AX-15 the tires were 33x12.5x15GY MTRs and it didn't matter what type of trail I was doing; easy, moderate or difficult.... I always aired down to 12 psi.
Whether it was to enhance traction or just provide a cushioned ride; the pressure was the same.
I did air down to 8 psi a couple times for added traction on a few very difficult obstacles.

Reactions: Mobusaki
Thought this thread might be a good place to post this. Maybe it has been posted already, but maybe not. They compare puncture resistance with decreasing psi. It's also a good comparison of 3 Cooper tire models.

So many people will do a kind of guesstimate in their head of what psi they think the trail requires, in an effort to keep as much air in their tire as possible. I don't know why. When I saw this video I was finally sold on the idea of airing down a lot right off the bat, every time. You don't know what your tire will find out there.

Thought this thread might be a good place to post this. Maybe it has been posted already, but maybe not. They compare puncture resistance with decreasing psi. It's also a good comparison of 3 Cooper tire models.

So many people will do a kind of guesstimate in their head of what psi they think the trail requires, in an effort to keep as much air in their tire as possible. I don't know why. When I saw this video I was finally sold on the idea of airing down a lot right off the bat, every time. You don't know what your tire will find out there.

I wish they had done each pressure and tire combination 5 or so times but otherwise that was really cool.

Ok!
I’ve got the tire pressure thing down. NOW! What do you inflate with?
I know there must be “the most desirable “ and the “least desirable “.
What’s the middle or best at an affordable price?

Pete
2004 wrangler

Ok!

Pete
2004 wrangler
Well I can say that I LOVE my Power Tank CO2 setup BUT I will say at a price tag of $900 I would never have bought it... it came with the Jeep.

Until that we used a little Viair Compressor off of Amazon for like $55 and it worked well. Some guys run dual ARB compressors. So you can go from a small $55 pump to almost a grand. Or depending on where you are you can take a short drive and air up at a gas station.

I had CO2 for a number of years. It was pretty convienent but I was getting to the point of spending $60 +/year filling it up. And when its out of CO2, its out. I've had to ask for fill ups numerous times. I've since gone to a Sanden AC compressor for OBA. Endless air and fast fill times. Minimal maintenance as far as oiling goes. IIRC I am into this OBA setup for $300 which has long paid for itself already.

20191019_165338.jpg

Thank you both.
I will have to do some research to find what is best for me.
so? Is the Sanden AC compressor an AC unit? House current? If so, what converter is used?

pete

Thank you both.
I will have to do some research to find what is best for me.
so? Is the Sanden AC compressor an AC unit? House current? If so, what converter is used?

pete
By "AC" he means it's actually an Air Conditioning compressor that has an attachment on the back to turn it into an Air Compressor.

Ok!

Pete
2004 wrangler
I use the Viair 400P. Not the best or fastest, not the worst or slowest, just reliable middle of the road. Airs up four 35s from below 10 psi to 25 psi without needing a break. I'll admit to being pretty jealous of the how fast the guys with York OBA and CO2 can air up though.

I use the Viair 400P. Not the best or fastest, not the worst or slowest, just reliable middle of the road. Airs up four 35s from below 10 psi to 25 psi without needing a break. I'll admit to being pretty jealous of the how fast the guys with York OBA and CO2 can air up though.
That’s a good starting point. I ll research from there.

Just the compressor. It sucks air thru the intake, enters an oiler, gets pumped thru the compressor, discharges and captures any oil mist thru a filter. A little wobble disc rotates when the clutch is engaged, which drives the air thru the discharge port

20191009_172108.jpg
20191016_173614.jpg
20191105_170933.jpg
20191105_171214.jpg

Reactions: rasband and Wildman
There are all kinds of air systems but the simplest and cheapest is a portable unit that you have to clamp onto your battery terminals each time.

I've been very happy with my budget Viair 88P. It is affordable (~$70), simple to use, small, lightweight, can be moved to a different vehicle on the fly, and fills tires up fast (I've used it with 35's and below).