Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

I got my hitch on today, and I need to cut a hole in my bed and wire the truck side of the camper, and the hitch tomorrow. If it goes quickly, I will pull the trailer out, and play with the Jeep, and see what I can find out. If I don't get to it this weekend. I will next. I will definitely report back what I find and some pics.

A lot going on here.
No kidding. This moab trip is creating a very hard deadline. I'm still quite bummed your not able to go. (not as much as you I'm sure).
I got my hitch on today, and I need to cut a hole in my bed and wire the truck side of the camper, and the hitch tomorrow. If it goes quickly, I will pull the trailer out, and play with the Jeep, and see what I can find out. If I don't get to it this weekend. I will next. I will definitely report back what I find and some pics.
I saw the photos of the hitch. That thing is pretty beefy. Can't wait to see the photos with the camper and jeep hooked up.

Reactions: ac_
When is Moab? I'll be out there the week of March 4th for work. I'm debating driving the Jeep out there.

No kidding. This moab trip is creating a very hard deadline. I'm still quite bummed your not able to go. (not as much as you I'm sure).

I saw the photos of the hitch. That thing is pretty beefy. Can't wait to see the photos with the camper and jeep hooked up.

Thanks, Yeah it was kind of like installing a manual transmission. I am sure feeling today with my old bones. For the wiring, I have to wire all of the camper lights to the rear then the camper electricity to the front off of the auxiliary battery. I got all of the rear wired up, but it didn't work. I thought that all of the colors are standard, but Lance has proprietary wiring, that actually uses the same colors, but not standard setup. So I had to do all of the wiring at the side of the bed, and figure out what the different wires were, and re-wire it, so it ended up taking most of the day. I still need to wire the front. I actually have the wire ran forward to the aux battery, but I need to wire it to a circuit breaker, and zip tie it all down. I am close.

I didn't get time to get the Jeep up on the trailer today, but I will get the wiring done this week, and I still need to test the trailer wiring, now that I know the camper wiring all works. So when I hook up to the trailer I will pull it out to the street, and put the Jeep on it and take some tongue weights. I will let you know what I find out, Hopefully with good pics, but you will have to wait till next weekend sorry about that. Just I won't be home all week during day light.

Thanks, Yeah it was kind of like installing a manual transmission. I am sure feeling today with my old bones. For the wiring, I have to wire all of the camper lights to the rear then the camper electricity to the front off of the auxiliary battery. I got all of the rear wired up, but it didn't work. I thought that all of the colors are standard, but Lance has proprietary wiring, that actually uses the same colors, but not standard setup. So I had to do all of the wiring at the side of the bed, and figure out what the different wires were, and re-wire it, so it ended up taking most of the day. I still need to wire the front. I actually have the wire ran forward to the aux battery, but I need to wire it to a circuit breaker, and zip tie it all down. I am close.

I didn't get time to get the Jeep up on the trailer today, but I will get the wiring done this week, and I still need to test the trailer wiring, now that I know the camper wiring all works. So when I hook up to the trailer I will pull it out to the street, and put the Jeep on it and take some tongue weights. I will let you know what I find out, Hopefully with good pics, but you will have to wait till next weekend sorry about that. Just I won't be home all week during day light.
Sounds like you had quite the day. I didn't know hooking up a cab over camper took so much wiring. What size camper did you get?

Sounds like you had quite the day. I didn't know hooking up a cab over camper took so much wiring. What size camper did you get?

I did a lot of research. I ended up with a pretty light weight 8.6 foot camper. It is 1800 pounds wet. It was actually built for a half ton long bed truck, but I put it on my 3/4 ton Chevy short bed. That is why I need to extend the hitch because the camper over hangs the rear a couple of feet. If I had a long bed, I wouldn't have needed to. It is pretty small, but there is only the two of us. It has a wet bath. (toilet and shower same room), It has a queen bunk over cab, and a kitchen and dinette. Even has a hot water tank. It has heat and air conditioning. It has a TV, and a I made a Raspberry Pi with a media server that will play movies, TV, and music. It also has an onboard stereo. The stereo isn't awesome, but works till I find something better, but not on the top of my list since the Raspberry Pi is a media center.

Other than what I told you, it is pretty basic. Pretty small for more than two people to hangout in, but it doesn't take a lot of space like a toy hauler nor would a toy hauler haul my Jeep.

Oh yeah and the kitchen has a pretty good sized fridge, and a decent sized microwave also a sink with a hot water heater. Has a pantry, and some storage for kitchenware. It is really clean. The only issue with it is the bathroom vent fan doesn't work. I just bought a new one to replace it. I am going to install it next weekend hopefully, but I have never done that before, so I am a little nervous, but humans put it together originally right? I should be able to replace it. Once I replace that assuming I get it sealed right, and it works, then everything on the camper will be working.

So far it has been a ton of work, and I am getting really stoked to take it out. I am hoping to have it all ready in two weeks, and go out for an overnighter. I may load up the Jeep trailer with the quads, get the fluids running through the quads. I have been so busy, I haven't ridden since Thanksgiving, and last spring before that. That is not the way to take care of quads.

Reactions: Alex01

Good for you! Getting things done.

Reactions: ac_
Sounds like you guys have all the toys. My father in law has a few Suzuki quads that we play around on when we go camping with him. I have a dirtbike but I really haven't rode it much over the past few years and at this point its quite terrifying since its so fast. (CRF450r geared for tight trails)

On the jeep front I decided to take it to work this morning since I don't need to pick the baby up from daycare. I quickly remembered that I completely messed up my pinion angle by shortening the front lowers. The new MC uppers should arrive today so once Toms jeep is all done I'll move my jeep in and swap out the arms and get rid of the vibs.

Also, I noticed on the way to work that my heater no longer works. @bobthetj03 I guess mine was jealous of all your new parts. I haven't looked at it at all yet but I'm crossing my fingers its the door actuator, needs a back flush, or any of the smaller things that don't require removing the whole dash.

• Sad
Reactions: bobthetj03
Sounds like you guys have all the toys. My father in law has a few Suzuki quads that we play around on when we go camping with him. I have a dirtbike but I really haven't rode it much over the past few years and at this point its quite terrifying since its so fast. (CRF450r geared for tight trails)

On the jeep front I decided to take it to work this morning since I don't need to pick the baby up from daycare. I quickly remembered that I completely messed up my pinion angle by shortening the front lowers. The new MC uppers should arrive today so once Toms jeep is all done I'll move my jeep in and swap out the arms and get rid of the vibs.

Also, I noticed on the way to work that my heater no longer works. @bobthetj03 I guess mine was jealous of all your new parts. I haven't looked at it at all yet but I'm crossing my fingers its the door actuator, needs a back flush, or any of the smaller things that don't require removing the whole dash.

If it’s the heater core, the best advice I’ve seen on replacing it is “have someone else do it”

Hope the heater is an easy fix. When mine stopped working last year, I back flushed it and changed the thermostat. Alot of nasty stuff came out. Fixed the problem. :)

Hope the heater is an easy fix. When mine stopped working last year, I back flushed it and changed the thermostat. Alot of nasty stuff came out. Fixed the problem. :)
That's my hope. Did you need a special adapter or did you just hold the garden hose in place to flush it?