Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

The savvy tailgate skin and valance arrived. Does anyone know if the handle or lock cylinder have any adjustment? Or, is sanding going to be the solution.

View attachment 231577
That is the way Marty fixed them. I had them designed where you removed the latch and reinstalled it back on top of the skin with extended length screws. Marty did not want to supply 1/8" longer screws and he did not want to have to stock 2 tailgate skins so he combined both into one and removed the latch on top feature. Would you like his phone number?

That is the way Marty fixed them. I had them designed where you removed the latch and reinstalled it back on top of the skin with extended length screws. Marty did not want to supply 1/8" longer screws and he did not want to have to stock 2 tailgate skins so he combined both into one and removed the latch on top feature. Would you like his phone number?
Other than complaining and telling him your way is better, it doesn't seem like it'd do me any good.

I guess I'll be having some fun grinding the aluminum.

Thanks.

that's it's off is irritating. that's it's off opposite directions just seems sloppy.
It isn't off in opposite directions. The key cylinder and latch are in different positions between the early and late tail gates. Marty made one skin fit both by overlaying the two laser drawings and cutting the openings so they fit both tail gates.

Reactions: Alex01
Interesting use of the word "fixed", never seen it used as a synonym for "ruined" before.

It isn't off in opposite directions. The key cylinder and latch are in different positions between the early and late tail gates. Marty made one skin fit both by overlaying the two laser drawings and cutting the openings so they fit both tail gates.
There are still separate listings for '97 to '02 and '03 to '06 on the website, but from what you are saying it sounds like they are actually the same item.

Interesting use of the word "fixed", never seen it used as a synonym for "ruined" before.
As much as I would truly like to rake Marty fully over the coals for that one, he succumbed to customer pressure. We don't like the extra holes for mounting the skid using the threads for the snubbers. It leaves ugly and we want just a plain smooth skin back there. You hear that bullshit enough times from customers and you say "fuck it" we'll give them what they want even though we know better.

Now we have to figure out how to measure accurately and drill holes to stop the damn things from bowing out in the middle. Assholes.

There are still separate listings for '97 to '02 and '03 to '06 on the website, but from what you are saying they it sounds like they are actually the same item.
Does it look like there is even the remote possibility that the holes could be that far off accidentally? You do realize I am the one that designed the first two for them, right?

As much as I would truly like to rake Marty fully over the coals for that one, he succumbed to customer pressure. We don't like the extra holes for mounting the skid using the threads for the snubbers. It leaves ugly and we want just a plain smooth skin back there. You hear that bullshit enough times from customers and you say "fuck it" we'll give them what they want even though we know better.

Now we have to figure out how to measure accurately and drill holes to stop the damn things from bowing out in the middle. Assholes.
Maybe my misunderstanding, but why did deleting the holes mean it was necessary to combine the two positions for the handle and lock?

Does it look like there is even the remote possibility that the holes could be that far off accidentally? You do realize I am the one that designed the first two for them, right?
Yes, that was clear from your post and it sounded like you had one for each handle position, then they ended up with a combined one to work with either position, but made it look like it doesn't really fit. To me they messed up your design. But if it now fits all TJs '97 - 06, why list them separately?

coming to the conclusion to go with this instead of a 50/50 order for the correct fit is gonna make the competitors more appealing.
slower sales of the fit for a certain model would be more desirable to me than stalled sales of this generic model because they look like poo.

this is kinda exactly contrary to the quality and design they are known for.

Last edited:
Reactions: jesseshoots
The savvy tailgate skin and valance arrived. Does anyone know if the handle or lock cylinder have any adjustment? Or, is sanding going to be the solution.

View attachment 231577
I have a 03-06’ TJ and there was enough play at the tailgate hinge plates to get It to line up perfectly.

One question 🙋🏻‍♂️ though, Why is the tailgate armor 1/8” thick and the strip of armor beneath the tailgate is 3/16”?

Last edited:
a blank template and a 5$ scratch awl could leave a mark on the backside for those locations, but does require touching each piece.