Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

Another praise for Tom Woods.

I heard from them today about my rear DS. When I originally spoke with them I was told it would be $120 to upgrade the spline which I gave them the Ok for. Today when they called to collect payment they said they would do it for $20 + $10 shipping / handling. Looks like I should have the shaft by Saturday or early next week.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Tom Woods. Glad they didn't disappoint.
I've bought both shafts from them and this is the 3rd time the rear has been sent back in. The first was to resize after the axle swap, 2nd was resizing after the atlas, and now for rebalancing and spline upgrade. I have never had a bad experience and they always pick up the phone.

I sent them my Adams front ds to check out. They balanced it better, and sent me new yokes for the t-case, free of charge. Cost me $40 to ship the ds to them. It doesn't get much better than that. I'm seriously considering buying a new rear ds from them to see if it helps my vibes.

Reactions: Alex01
I sent them my Adams front ds to check out. They balanced it better, and sent me new yokes for the t-case, free of charge. Cost me $40 to ship the ds to them. It doesn't get much better than that. I'm seriously considering buying a new rear ds from them to see if it helps my vibes.
I'll let you know if my vibs improve. I haven't touched the rear end and clocking the atlas shouldn't have affected the DS angle in the rear.

A few boxes of fun have arrived.
20200614_185330.jpg
20200614_185206.jpg
20200614_185153.jpg

Well hopefully it’s pretty straightforward otherwise you’ll need a PhD🤓
I'm hoping if I pull the axles and strip the brackets prior to Mike showing up I'll only need him for one day. I'll probably start on the prep later this week but first I want to reinstall and test the rear DS.

I'm also thinking I may put the atlas back flat. The corner is still barely touching the skid and I'm worried under a large load I may be putting to much weight on the corner of the atlas's case when the skid flexs a bit.

I'm hoping if I pull the axles and strip the brackets prior to Mike showing up I'll only need him for one day. I'll probably start on the prep later this week but first I want to reinstall and test the rear DS.

I'm also thinking I may put the atlas back flat. The corner is still barely touching the skid and I'm worried under a large load I may be putting to much weight on the corner of the atlas's case when the skid flexs a bit.
You can always rotate the C’s to get your caster back

You can always rotate the C’s to get your caster back
Ya. That seems to be the best answer. When I pull the axle for the midarm to weld the truss on I'll do my best to seal the plug holes. If I can get them to stop leaking I'll likely pull the axle again during fall and have the C's rotated. The bind was minimal and the drivability was liveable but rotating the C's would make it better on long hauls. Having the mid-arm installed while messing with the pinion angle will also allow me to figure out how much they could be rotated without interference. Worse case I'll save up for a HP44, perhaps a HP30 but buy once cry once right?? I'd also take that opportunity to change the gears to 5.38 because that would bring my crawl ratio over 100 lol.

Ya. That seems to be the best answer. When I pull the axle for the midarm to weld the truss on I'll do my best to seal the plug holes. If I can get them to stop leaking I'll likely pull the axle again during fall and have the C's rotated. The bind was minimal and the drivability was liveable but rotating the C's would make it better on long hauls. Having the mid-arm installed while messing with the pinion angle will also allow me to figure out how much they could be rotated without interference. Worse case I'll save up for a HP44, perhaps a HP30 but buy once cry once right?? I'd also take that opportunity to change the gears to 5.38 because that would bring my crawl ratio over 100 lol.
LOL 107.87 to be precise.

• Love
Reactions: Wildman and Alex01
VIBRATION FREE!!!!

Either the x spline or proper balancing fixed the issue.

I also put the Atlas back flat which only took 45min to pull, clock, and reinstall. The driveshafts may have taken me the same amount of time.

I felt the beginnings of DW at 85 but the jeep hasn't been aligned since before the Rubicon in September and lots of things have changed in the front end recently. The caster still sucks but that was obviously not going to change with a new rear shaft.

VIBRATION FREE!!!!

I also put the Atlas back flat which only took 45min to pull, clock, and reinstall. The driveshafts may have taken me the same amount of time.

I felt the beginnings of DW at 85 but the jeep hasn't been aligned since before the Rubicon in September and lots of things have changed in the front end recently. The caster still sucks but that was obviously not going to change with a new rear shaft.
You may have a shimmy, but I doubt very seriously that was DW. Congratulations on being vibe free! There is nothing like that feeling...

Nice looking mid-arm you have there. YOu tempted me once, this is twice.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
You may have a shimmy, but I doubt very seriously that was DW. Congratulations on being vibe free! There is nothing like that feeling...

Nice looking mid-arm you have there. YOu tempted me once, this is twice.

I'm not sure if the PSC ram would allow DW to be honest. It acts as my steering stabilizer in a way. I've had full on DW and this was not it. It was a minor shake in the wheel after hitting a bump at 85 on the freeway. When it happened for real years ago I thought the jeep was broken.

Midarm gets rid of the TB issue lol.

I'm not sure if the PSC ram would allow DW to be honest. It acts as my steering stabilizer in a way. I've had full on DW and this was not it. It was a minor shake in the wheel after hitting a bump at 85 on the freeway. When it happened for real years ago I thought the jeep was broken.

Midarm gets rid of the TB issue lol.
Yes, yes, no rear TB!!!! Stop tempting me.

p.s. A TJ doing 85 is nearing top speed!

VIBRATION FREE!!!!

Glad to hear the vibes are gone and the atlas is clocked back flat, win win. Even if your alignment was good after the Con, by rotating your axle to get a better pinion angle you've changed camber and toe as well as caster.

Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman
Glad to hear the vibes are gone and the atlas is clocked back flat, win win. Even if your alignment was good after the Con, by rotating your axle to get a better pinion angle you've changed camber and toe as well as caster.
True. The alignment is all screwed up right now but next week @Midnight LJR and I will be installing the midarm so I don't see a point in fixing it at the momemt.

I'm just happy I'll go into the midarm with a vib free jeep.

Last edited: